View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jan 2018 00:01

Forum rules


- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.



Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Change to spellcasting and shieldwearing 
Author Message
Adept

Joined: 04 Jun 2010 23:37
Posts: 121
Quote:
After reading his posts here on the forums.
I am not entirely sure "understanding" things is part of his deal.


*eyeroll*


21 Sep 2017 13:02
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Posts: 2063
Location: Some old coffin
It's okay, Rincon. There are certain people on any forum who feel that the only way to be right is to see things as they do.

When you sense that someone is actually listening to you, considering what you said, responding with respect even if they might disagree, or perhaps even changing their mind a bit based on the points you have made ... rejoice! You've just found a valuable Genesis community member. :-)

As for the other stuff. BOOOOOOOOOO.

G.

_________________
Mmmmmm ... pie ...


21 Sep 2017 17:14
Profile
Titan
User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2010 01:05
Posts: 488
gorboth wrote:
As for the other stuff. BOOOOOOOOOO.


Shame!

Everyone knows it should be MOOOOOOOOOOF.

_________________
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks


21 Sep 2017 22:49
Profile YIM
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Posts: 2063
Location: Some old coffin
C'mon Mers ... from you I'd hope for a decent visual meme ...

_________________
Mmmmmm ... pie ...


21 Sep 2017 23:04
Profile
Myth

Joined: 08 Mar 2010 19:50
Posts: 1272
Location: Kristiansund, Norway
gorboth wrote:
It's okay, Rincon. There are certain people on any forum who feel that the only way to be right is to see things as they do.

When you sense that someone is actually listening to you, considering what you said, responding with respect even if they might disagree, or perhaps even changing their mind a bit based on the points you have made ... rejoice! You've just found a valuable Genesis community member. :-)

As for the other stuff. BOOOOOOOOOO.

G.



Yeah no.
But the opinion of someone who hasn't really played a guild and not tested every combination and spec.
It doesn't really count.
He can rant all he wants but he still has no clue to what he is speaking about.
It would be like me trying to argue the best way to captain a freight boat with an actual educated sea captain and telling him he is doing his navitating wrong when he has in fact gone to school, learned the trade, practiced it for a certain amount of time and gotten the job. While I just had an opinion out of thin air.

_________________
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.


22 Sep 2017 03:02
Profile
Titan
User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2010 01:05
Posts: 488
gorboth wrote:
C'mon Mers ... from you I'd hope for a decent visual meme ...


Image

_________________
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks


22 Sep 2017 03:42
Profile YIM
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Posts: 2063
Location: Some old coffin
Image

_________________
Mmmmmm ... pie ...


22 Sep 2017 06:23
Profile
Adventurer

Joined: 27 Nov 2013 01:34
Posts: 97
As one who wore two shields a lot, I can see the reasoning - especially from a RP aspect that Nazgul didnt have shields at all. So given that, I accept that 2 shields is rather ridiculous. However, there are two fallacies with the change.

The first is that magicians have to do some sort of riverdance to cast a spell. Wrong. Unfortunately as it stands now, the SoHM folks close their eyes, even in combat, for their spells. What better to hunker down behind than 2 shields.

The second is that from my understanding this change was to negate the effect of 2 shields. Sadly, my spell failures increased to around 35% from wearing only one shield (luckily there is a nifty little message that indicates when a shield blocked an attempt) That to me seems rather excessive. I am more of a rip the bandaid off kind of person. If this is an attempt to make all casters Gorby's thought of glass cannons, then do it already and if it is not ready to do, then don't make changes that aren't completely vetted or tested.

Thanks for reading!


22 Sep 2017 17:34
Profile
Myth

Joined: 08 Mar 2010 19:50
Posts: 1272
Location: Kristiansund, Norway
Yeah I am with Etanukar on this.
Truthfully it completely messes with the balance of some of the caster guilds, making them near impossible to grind with.(Unless you are filthy big of course.. But we aren't balancing guilds after the size of certain players, now are we?!)

_________________
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.


22 Sep 2017 19:03
Profile
Wizard
User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2014 13:15
Posts: 310
Etanukar wrote:
As one who wore two shields a lot, I can see the reasoning - especially from a RP aspect that Nazgul didnt have shields at all. So given that, I accept that 2 shields is rather ridiculous. However, there are two fallacies with the change.

The first is that magicians have to do some sort of riverdance to cast a spell. Wrong. Unfortunately as it stands now, the SoHM folks close their eyes, even in combat, for their spells. What better to hunker down behind than 2 shields.

The second is that from my understanding this change was to negate the effect of 2 shields. Sadly, my spell failures increased to around 35% from wearing only one shield (luckily there is a nifty little message that indicates when a shield blocked an attempt) That to me seems rather excessive. I am more of a rip the bandaid off kind of person. If this is an attempt to make all casters Gorby's thought of glass cannons, then do it already and if it is not ready to do, then don't make changes that aren't completely vetted or tested.

Thanks for reading!


Thanks for your feedback Etanukar.

Technically just about all of the spells in Genesis have a verbal component and a somatic component requirement... the latter meaning a measures/precise gesture or movement of the hand. Not a Riverdance, but technically requires at least a hand to be free.

If you are getting spell failure of 35% from one shield, either you are unlucky and your tests aren't very thorough or there is something going wrong with your spells. If the latter, send me a mail with the spells you are finding failing so often... the reality is your fail rate with the biggest of tower shields should be on average around 4%. Our tests with a couple of spellcasting guilds was that a failure rate of around 1 in every 25 spells wasn't excessive. Medium-sized shields had a failure rate on average of 1 in 50, while small shields there is no spell failure penalty.

I don't think there is any desire for all magic guilds to be glass cannons. Maybe that is just the Morgul Mages ;). However magic-users aren't meant to be better at tanking using standard equipment than a melee class. Being weaker at melee combat is one of the clearly defined drawbacks required of magic guilds (along with mana usage and component requirements) to justify the much much much bigger combat aid cap they have over melee guilds. Within that much bigger cap sit a range of defensive and offensive spell options... some magic guilds may be more defensive focused, some more offensive, some more balanced across the two.

Anyway, I think we'd agree the playability of a magic guild shouldn't revolve around them needing to wear one or more shields. If you think the balance of your guild is skewed away from providing defensive options to the point it isn't playable, let's have a chat.


23 Sep 2017 02:12
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.