View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 19 Apr 2018 12:01

Forum rules


- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.



Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Request from the Church of Sparkle pastor 
Author Message
Adept

Joined: 30 Aug 2017 19:55
Posts: 109
As someone who spent most of his idling career in the Church I found the chatter amusing. Not sure this was entirely needed as if you wanted a quiet "safe place" just go to the common board room. Like Alisa said, it was a hub because its the first place you enter when you leave the tutorial. Its the first place for you to set 'home', if someone doesn't like the chatter... they can just leave no need to create a silence room.

If people want quiet time in their church then move the games start location to the Pub at the very least.


12 Nov 2017 18:59
Profile
Wizard
User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2014 13:15
Posts: 371
Or... go idle in the pub where, unlike the Church, idle/ooc/inappropriate chatter isn't forced upon those transitioning from Tutori or visiting Lars.

You don't think I spent time coding a fix just because there weren't complaints or anything?


12 Nov 2017 23:20
Profile
Apprentice

Joined: 26 Jul 2017 23:08
Posts: 40
Another simply solution is adding a start location in the pub. People if want can move their "home" from church to the pub.


13 Nov 2017 02:45
Profile
Rising Hero
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2014 23:10
Posts: 310
Arman wrote:
Or... go idle in the pub where, unlike the Church, idle/ooc/inappropriate chatter isn't forced upon those transitioning from Tutori or visiting Lars.

You don't think I spent time coding a fix just because there weren't complaints or anything?


I'm happy that you react to the complaints :-)
I just don't understand the need to complain about those matters. And that's not important at all, so carry on fixing things!

Happy Monday.


13 Nov 2017 13:26
Profile
Rising Hero

Joined: 27 Jun 2011 13:20
Posts: 371
Of course it is important!!! Now when my ship is not there and I need to wait for couple of minutes, where am I supposed to look for people to toss with my regal horns?


13 Nov 2017 14:10
Profile
Adept

Joined: 30 Aug 2017 19:55
Posts: 109
Arman wrote:
Or... go idle in the pub where, unlike the Church, idle/ooc/inappropriate chatter isn't forced upon those transitioning from Tutori or visiting Lars.

You don't think I spent time coding a fix just because there weren't complaints or anything?


I don't doubt there were complaints I just "Personally," think it wasn't as big of a deal as the dozens of other things I can think of off the top of my head. This game doesn't enforce RP and never has so whats it matter if people are speaking OOC and where? Guess it really bothered someone else that much though. Change is better than no change.


14 Nov 2017 02:47
Profile
Wanderer

Joined: 12 Nov 2017 19:56
Posts: 56
Question of temperament, I guess.
I've avoided the church because of the constant gossip and so on. I have other "safe" places to hang out, but I can see the value of having a safe place for newbies that is both obvious (their starting place, reentry after saying 'sup to Lars) and more peaceful (it is church, after all), so I applaud the change. Doesn't have much to do with RP, as far as I'm concerned. The first time my character died, I was bummed, and even a little emotional ... a nice quiet space to collect oneself seems right.
I also really like Dhez's ideas. The pub could be a more interesting place, and that might encourage people to spend more time and congregate there. I especially like the suggestions of having both a bar to belly up to and some private tables, as well as another spot for graffiti - are there other spots apart from the toilets in Gelan? Maybe the bar can be battered old wood with a patina of scuffs and notches, and only if you <exa> it do you notice you can, if you have a blade, gouge a message into it. Maybe there could even be a cheapo Sparkle quest sending newbies there, so you get a little xp for doing your choice of a couple activities there: smoking a ciggy, carving your name into the bar, challenging someone to a game of darts, busing tables ,,,


14 Nov 2017 05:59
Profile
Wizard
User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2014 13:15
Posts: 371
sylphan wrote:
Question of temperament, I guess.
I've avoided the church because of the constant gossip and so on. I have other "safe" places to hang out, but I can see the value of having a safe place for newbies that is both obvious (their starting place, reentry after saying 'sup to Lars) and more peaceful (it is church, after all), so I applaud the change. Doesn't have much to do with RP, as far as I'm concerned. The first time my character died, I was bummed, and even a little emotional ... a nice quiet space to collect oneself seems right.
I also really like Dhez's ideas. The pub could be a more interesting place, and that might encourage people to spend more time and congregate there. I especially like the suggestions of having both a bar to belly up to and some private tables, as well as another spot for graffiti - are there other spots apart from the toilets in Gelan? Maybe the bar can be battered old wood with a patina of scuffs and notches, and only if you <exa> it do you notice you can, if you have a blade, gouge a message into it. Maybe there could even be a cheapo Sparkle quest sending newbies there, so you get a little xp for doing your choice of a couple activities there: smoking a ciggy, carving your name into the bar, challenging someone to a game of darts, busing tables ,,,


I remember when Britannica was looking into recoding the Minstrels, and that performing at the pubs and inns of Genesis would raise the profile of their songs into the 'Genesis top 100' based on attendance etc. Was a really cool concept and was well progressed code-wise... wish it reached fruition. Ah well.

Anyway, Gorboth may have been inspired to do some renovations of the pub. Not sure darts is his thing... more of an axe thrower from what I've seen. Will be interesting to see what he comes up with!


14 Nov 2017 08:12
Profile
Adventurer

Joined: 23 Nov 2017 03:45
Posts: 95
At first I was happy with this change... no more spam!

Except now I can't meet anyone x.x

There are no areas where people have to hang out, the church resting is instantaneous too, so people can enter inside, rest and leave immediately...

Teh result is that is incredibly hard to meet people now. I even tried to make triggers to meet people crossing sparkle, but since people are just speedwalking through sparkle, they left teh room before my triggers trigger!

So... maybe undo this change?

Or make the resting non-instantaneous?

Or copy a feature I saw in other LPMud games, where in certain pubs you could regenerate HP, faster than normal, but still slow, so people would go there between hunting sessions and end RPing.


30 Nov 2017 17:51
Profile
Wizard
User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2014 13:15
Posts: 371
Alteor wrote:
At first I was happy with this change... no more spam!

Except now I can't meet anyone x.x

There are no areas where people have to hang out, the church resting is instantaneous too, so people can enter inside, rest and leave immediately...

Teh result is that is incredibly hard to meet people now. I even tried to make triggers to meet people crossing sparkle, but since people are just speedwalking through sparkle, they left teh room before my triggers trigger!

So... maybe undo this change?

Or make the resting non-instantaneous?

Or copy a feature I saw in other LPMud games, where in certain pubs you could regenerate HP, faster than normal, but still slow, so people would go there between hunting sessions and end RPing.


Gorboth is looking at reinvigorating the Sparkle Pub... he has some pretty cool ideas that will certainly make it more of a socialisation hub!


01 Dec 2017 03:28
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.