Request from the Church of Sparkle pastor

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amberlee
Myth

Re: Request from the Church of Sparkle pastor

Post by Amberlee » 01 Dec 2017 03:34

This is good news.
I really want a bard lay guild to be stationed there though :P
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Alteor
Adept

Post by Alteor » 27 Jan 2018 16:29

Decided to comment here again based on recent experiences.

I now think this change should be reversed. As much the silence is cool when idle...

1. Now there is no safe place to teach newbies, more than once hostile actions (usually theft) were done to me while I was trying to teach stuff to newbies standing in front of the church.

2. It also make some diplomacy hard, for example when some newbies were accusing each other and wanting to attack each other, I wanted to drag them to church to talk to them, but since can't talk in church, I tried to talk to them in front of the church, this resulted in them killing each other a couple times instead of listening.

3. Also church was nice place to teach "stop fighting" command, now you have to say that command in fight-enabled areas, resulting into fight continuing if person miss the says on the fight spam, possibly resulting to deaths (like when a newbie attacked me, he didn't died but my white hits took a large chunk fo his health).

4. When you find people idle at church, you could say stuff to them and hope they see on the log, specially useful for people you don't know (so you can't mail or message them easily), but no way to do that now.

---

If wizards still intend to keep church silent, and make another "talky" place, as people commented, it will have to be a no-combat zone either. Otherwise the points I listed above will remain true.

If needed, it can be made no-combat due to IC reasons, one LPMud I played had a tavern where the tavern owner ICly was a retired adventurer, you could attack people normally in his tavern, but NPC would demand you to leave, ban you from tavern sometimes, and if you attacked him, he could kick almost any player ass.

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 27 Jan 2018 17:36

Alteor wrote:Decided to comment here again based on recent experiences.

I now think this change should be reversed. As much the silence is cool when idle...

1. Now there is no safe place to teach newbies, more than once hostile actions (usually theft) were done to me while I was trying to teach stuff to newbies standing in front of the church.

2. It also make some diplomacy hard, for example when some newbies were accusing each other and wanting to attack each other, I wanted to drag them to church to talk to them, but since can't talk in church, I tried to talk to them in front of the church, this resulted in them killing each other a couple times instead of listening.

3. Also church was nice place to teach "stop fighting" command, now you have to say that command in fight-enabled areas, resulting into fight continuing if person miss the says on the fight spam, possibly resulting to deaths (like when a newbie attacked me, he didn't died but my white hits took a large chunk fo his health).

4. When you find people idle at church, you could say stuff to them and hope they see on the log, specially useful for people you don't know (so you can't mail or message them easily), but no way to do that now.

---

If wizards still intend to keep church silent, and make another "talky" place, as people commented, it will have to be a no-combat zone either. Otherwise the points I listed above will remain true.

If needed, it can be made no-combat due to IC reasons, one LPMud I played had a tavern where the tavern owner ICly was a retired adventurer, you could attack people normally in his tavern, but NPC would demand you to leave, ban you from tavern sometimes, and if you attacked him, he could kick almost any player ass.
They made the tavern a safe space I believe, but no one uses it because its not where you spawn. Or use the home command.

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 27 Jan 2018 19:16

Why not give people the option of waking in the pub? If meditative silence isn't their thing, if they prefer the cacophony and drama and OOC-laced banter that used to fill the church, why not move that whole scene over to the pub, where it thematically much more appropriate? They could easily pop over to the church for their mistform weapons - what is it, seven rooms away?

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 28 Jan 2018 04:40

Alteor wrote:Decided to comment here again based on recent experiences.

---

*sigh* We did. The pub. It has been a no combat zone since the Church was made a silent. I hinted as much when I posted the changes on the common board, and was quite clear in my post in this thread.

Clearly I need the hints to be as subtle as a sledgehammer.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 28 Jan 2018 04:41

sylphan wrote:Why not give people the option of waking in the pub? If meditative silence isn't their thing, if they prefer the cacophony and drama and OOC-laced banter that used to fill the church, why not move that whole scene over to the pub, where it thematically much more appropriate? They could easily pop over to the church for their mistform weapons - what is it, seven rooms away?
I could argue the same point... why not simply walk to the pub from the Church? It is only a handful of rooms away. Not that big an impost.

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 28 Jan 2018 12:35

Arman wrote:
sylphan wrote:Why not give people the option of waking in the pub? If meditative silence isn't their thing, if they prefer the cacophony and drama and OOC-laced banter that used to fill the church, why not move that whole scene over to the pub, where it thematically much more appropriate? They could easily pop over to the church for their mistform weapons - what is it, seven rooms away?
I could argue the same point... why not simply walk to the pub from the Church? It is only a handful of rooms away. Not that big an impost.
Sorry to be this pessimistic, but the reason is simply.... lazyness...
And combined with new players not really knowing where what is yet....

Lethal combo.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 28 Jan 2018 15:10

Arman wrote:
Part of the reason the church was so popular was because people spawned there. It's the nexuspoint for many newcomers, therefore the pub will never be the same unless people starts spawing in there, and set that as default location for the game.

Either:
1. Set default start location there for new player
2. Relocate the church to the pub's location and vice versa.

Besides, people starting in a pub somewhere in rpg's, particular pen and paper rpgs, are pretty classic. so why not explore this idea? I definitely would contemplat point 1, and even add some extra support for it.

Or use the new Inn, which may be even more fitting since it give access to foodstuff. :)
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 28 Jan 2018 16:46

Sure, it makes sense to make the inn of Sparkle the default start location and the church the place where you respawn after death. Logically that probably makes the most sense, however if we relocate the starting point to the inn we end up with the same problem that made us change this...? That is, tons of players standing in the start location chatting away about RL stuff and giving new players who first enter the real world a strange first impression of the game? So basically, that would mean back to square one, and all we did was to switch names on the room you start in.:)

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 28 Jan 2018 17:01

Cherek wrote:Sure, it makes sense to make the inn of Sparkle the default start location and the church the place where you respawn after death. Logically that probably makes the most sense, however if we relocate the starting point to the inn we end up with the same problem that made us change this...? That is, tons of players standing in the start location chatting away about RL stuff and giving new players who first enter the real world a strange first impression of the game? So basically, that would mean back to square one, and all we did was to switch names on the room you start in.:)
The game isnt RP enforced so whether they are let down by OOC chatter in the Church or once they leave it is all the same in my mind. Id rather they know upfront what they are getting into. Or change the game to RP enforced and go bust some rule breakers :-p

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/