Tharkadan mountain pass open!

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zugzug
Veteran

Re: Tharkadan mountain pass open!

Post by Zugzug » 16 Mar 2018 17:46

Arman wrote:
Rincon wrote:I had similar suspicions about other magical items which are supposed to dull/wear down slower from this area. I mailed Carnak about it, but haven't heard from him so far.
What are you comparing speed of dulling against? Which weapon/s?

The blue halberd, which is described as almost non-dulling by magic-descriptor dulls quicker than the excellent halberd from Middle Earth, the most soap-like weapon in Genesis that I know of.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 17 Mar 2018 06:23

Zugzug wrote:
Arman wrote:
Rincon wrote:I had similar suspicions about other magical items which are supposed to dull/wear down slower from this area. I mailed Carnak about it, but haven't heard from him so far.
What are you comparing speed of dulling against? Which weapon/s?

The blue halberd, which is described as almost non-dulling by magic-descriptor dulls quicker than the excellent halberd from Middle Earth, the most soap-like weapon in Genesis that I know of.
This is interesting... I need to get your input on what weapons you consider as "slow dullers" as a baseline. Not non-dulling weapons. Because I had a look at a number of weapons, and gone over the code responsible for dulling - and the blue weapons,the EH, the giant black maul, and the tempered spear should dull at around the same pace AND considerably slower than your average weapon. It should be magnitudes of difference in dulling speed.

So tell me which weapons dull slowly, and I can dig in to this issue?

It could be a few things, so also let me know if you are a heavy user of quickness items. It may just be its been a while since you've actually had to use a normal dulling weapon, so are a bit spoilt ;).

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 17 Mar 2018 17:50

the EH, the giant black maul, and the tempered spear should dull at around the same pace AND considerably slower than your average weapon.
That is weird as i consider giant black maul as very slow-dulling (and even if it does, it can be repaired at smith, so it is almost not-dulling), tempered spear as average-dulling (well, a bit slower than average but speed enhancement may be the reason it feels that way) and EH as quick-dulling.

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 17 Mar 2018 19:35

The maul is actually not dulling from ordinary combat.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 19 Mar 2018 08:26

Mithril-Bladed Battleaxe always dulled real slow, actually it usually broke before reaching 'fine condition'.

Thought options were, non dull or set higher durability. Why we have no non-breaking armours is something
I've wondered a long time. Even with insane durability a crit_hit will destroy the armour :/

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 19 Mar 2018 09:40

So i've looked at some of the code... weapons like the maul and the gigantic broadsword seem to have - deliberately or inadvertently - removed the dulling functions when masking the hitting function.

If a 'feature', they are undocumented ones. So technically I'd call them bugs. Bugs that have been around for a long time, mind. So do I document and leave as is - formalising the bug, or fix? These weapons have established themselves as legendary items... changing them would be a nerf definitely, and lessen their value in the realms. Do we want that? Or is it a bigger issue that weapons such as this make weapons like the new blue steels or EH seem fragile, when in reality they are magnitudes of difference hardier than your standard weapons?

Do these bugged weapons create unrealistic expectations? Do YOU the players feel these are a balance issue that negatively impact the game?

I am mindful that one of the suggestions Gorboth has flagged is having discipline impact how fast weapons dull. That could have a big impact on the value these sort of weapons having moving forward, or even the value that dis is viewed by the player base...

I know one player, who did some testing for me of 'normal' weapons, wondered how players play with such weapons ;). So maybe we need to seriously consider the place of non-dulling weapons in the game?

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 19 Mar 2018 10:30

An issue is the speed weapons dull vs how easy they are to replace.
Like the Gigantic Sword.
Limited how many there are and they spawn extremely rarely on the guy.
Something not really factored in here I am guessing
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 19 Mar 2018 12:49

I'm ok with the GSB and GBM as they are. Keep them non-dulling.

Please don't make discipline effect how fast a weapon dulls. This is ridiculous. Discipline should have an effect in battle. Greater chance for chit? Fight better against numerous foes? Anything, but what Gorboth came up with :P

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 19 Mar 2018 14:06

Rincon wrote:I'm ok with the GSB and GBM as they are. Keep them non-dulling.

Please don't make discipline effect how fast a weapon dulls. This is ridiculous. Discipline should have an effect in battle. Greater chance for chit? Fight better against numerous foes? Anything, but what Gorboth came up with :P

Greater chance for heavy hits imo since it would require descipline to have the balls to make some of the riskier moves.

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 19 Mar 2018 14:48

Arman wrote:So i've looked at some of the code... weapons like the maul and the gigantic broadsword seem to have - deliberately or inadvertently - removed the dulling functions when masking the hitting function.

If a 'feature', they are undocumented ones. So technically I'd call them bugs. Bugs that have been around for a long time, mind. So do I document and leave as is - formalising the bug, or fix? These weapons have established themselves as legendary items... changing them would be a nerf definitely, and lessen their value in the realms. Do we want that? Or is it a bigger issue that weapons such as this make weapons like the new blue steels or EH seem fragile, when in reality they are magnitudes of difference hardier than your standard weapons?

Do these bugged weapons create unrealistic expectations? Do YOU the players feel these are a balance issue that negatively impact the game?

I am mindful that one of the suggestions Gorboth has flagged is having discipline impact how fast weapons dull. That could have a big impact on the value these sort of weapons having moving forward, or even the value that dis is viewed by the player base...

I know one player, who did some testing for me of 'normal' weapons, wondered how players play with such weapons ;). So maybe we need to seriously consider the place of non-dulling weapons in the game?
Get rid of them all, Make Smiths Great Again!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/