Tharkadan mountain pass open!

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Arman
Wizard

Re: Tharkadan mountain pass open!

Post by Arman » 19 Mar 2018 14:54

Rincon wrote:I'm ok with the GSB and GBM as they are. Keep them non-dulling.

Please don't make discipline effect how fast a weapon dulls. This is ridiculous. Discipline should have an effect in battle. Greater chance for chit? Fight better against numerous foes? Anything, but what Gorboth came up with :P
Why should discipline just have to mean bravery? Discipline can mean to bring to a state of order and obedience by training and control. Disciplined care and use of equipment is constantly a part of military drill, so in my mind makes perfect sense. I think what Gorboth suggested has a lot of merit.

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 19 Mar 2018 16:07

Ok, but why discipline can't mean bravery?

Dwarves is the only race who have a boost to discipline and a huge penalty to dex, meaning they can't hit anything and are good only for tanking. And because they can't hit anything their weapons actually don't dull a lot! Besides there is always the HSC, DMS, maul, crescent moon-axe, crystal axe, yagluk's axe, etc. If you have a blacksmith in your team then you dont need this feature at all.

So, dwarves who should benefit the most from high discipline would actually lose out the most due to Gorboth's proposed idea.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 19 Mar 2018 16:40

Rincon wrote:Ok, but why discipline can't mean bravery?

Dwarves is the only race who have a boost to discipline and a huge penalty to dex, meaning they can't hit anything and are good only for tanking. And because they can't hit anything their weapons actually don't dull a lot! Besides there is always the HSC, DMS, maul, crescent moon-axe, crystal axe, yagluk's axe, etc. If you have a blacksmith in your team then you dont need this feature at all.

So, dwarves who should benefit the most from high discipline would actually lose out the most due to Gorboth's proposed idea.
Blacksmiths cant sharpen as well as proper townsmiths, not to the same level, same amount of time or from the same levels

Shanoga
Wizard

Post by Shanoga » 19 Mar 2018 18:22

Arman wrote:...

Do these bugged weapons create unrealistic expectations? Do YOU the players feel these are a balance issue that negatively impact the game?

As a monk, I say fix the bugs and let the weapons dull. Or change the way that karma "decays" or disappears after logout. ;)

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 19 Mar 2018 18:46

Arman wrote:

Please don't make discipline effect how fast a weapon dulls. This is ridiculous. Discipline should have an effect in battle. Greater chance for chit? Fight better against numerous foes? Anything, but what Gorboth came up with :P
Why should discipline just have to mean bravery? Discipline can mean to bring to a state of order and obedience by training and control. Disciplined care and use of equipment is constantly a part of military drill, so in my mind makes perfect sense. I think what Gorboth suggested has a lot of merit.
I also do not get it. Regular maintenance of, say, a sword would involve keeping it clean and maybe oiled or something. Do swords break because they're dirty or have a patch of rust? It seems any substantive difference would come from what a smith could provide. The game already has smiths. Do we want to grant players smith-like skill as a result of discipline? Seems silly.

Etanukar
Adept

Post by Etanukar » 19 Mar 2018 22:17

Do the mega weapons set unrealistic expectations? Seems they already have. What is the flipside? Coding practice for wizards on weapons that will not be used, because they either dull or are too heavy to be effectively used. Fortunately there have been more smithies added to areas, but one is severely lacking (cough sparkle cough the hub of everything cough). But lets face it, non-dull = no pause in xp. That's whats important, right? Or is it...? Maybe making smiths a viable option again has merit. I am still one because I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours over the years forging equipment, before scripting, and feel that that would be a terrible waste to throw away, plus its a nice RP aspect to emulate the Annatar. I'd vote for making the case for no non-dull items, upping the smith sharpen ability to be comparable to payment AND make the mithril imbuement able to be added in addition to another imbuement.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 19 Mar 2018 23:25

I agree with Etanukar.

There is a smith just outside Sparkle, though.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 19 Mar 2018 23:47

sylphan wrote:
Arman wrote:

I also do not get it. Regular maintenance of, say, a sword would involve keeping it clean and maybe oiled or something. Do swords break because they're dirty or have a patch of rust? It seems any substantive difference would come from what a smith could provide. The game already has smiths. Do we want to grant players smith-like skill as a result of discipline? Seems silly.
Disciplined use of equipment would slow the dulling of equipment. Won't stop it, and won't repair it.

According to tests normal weapons dull a level in around 20 minutes of grinding. Disciplined use would enhance that, possibly to the level of what the non-dulls offer depending on your discipline ratio.

But the will still dull. They would need smithing.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 19 Mar 2018 23:52

Etanukar wrote:Do the mega weapons set unrealistic expectations? Seems they already have. What is the flipside? Coding practice for wizards on weapons that will not be used, because they either dull or are too heavy to be effectively used. Fortunately there have been more smithies added to areas, but one is severely lacking (cough sparkle cough the hub of everything cough). But lets face it, non-dull = no pause in xp. That's whats important, right? Or is it...? Maybe making smiths a viable option again has merit. I am still one because I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours over the years forging equipment, before scripting, and feel that that would be a terrible waste to throw away, plus its a nice RP aspect to emulate the Annatar. I'd vote for making the case for no non-dull items, upping the smith sharpen ability to be comparable to payment AND make the mithril imbuement able to be added in addition to another imbuement.
I think the proposal to slow dulling of equipment could be equally considered as a passive ability for smiths maybe.

Does the i mithril imbue stop dulling or reduce dull speed? I assume the latter?

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 20 Mar 2018 01:25

If you mean ironstones, they probably only slow dulling and stop it at intense stone level only.

For now these stones are more or less useless.
On the other hand intense ones are so rare/hard/costly to get, that getting one is a great feat. I would say a few years of playtime. Maybe small players have it easier, as i heard imbues are raining like cats and dogs in their grind areas.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/