PC Gamer to feature Genesis

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Ody
Hero

Re: PC Gamer to feature Genesis

Post by Ody » 04 Aug 2018 18:56

Why not the butterfly event? It was super simple to grasp.

Daerin
Apprentice

Post by Daerin » 04 Aug 2018 19:01

I can take the death if I can get fully recovered afterwards. No problems.

And about the event, it would be nice to have the results/rewards of the last event, the one from eastern.
Last edited by Daerin on 04 Aug 2018 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 04 Aug 2018 20:15

Cherek wrote:
Makfly wrote:Perhaps be ready to re-run a event shortly after the release of the article, even if it's just the attack on Sparkle or something that doesn't run for weeks?
That's not a bad idea. Although I think it takes quite some time for new players to grasp the basics of Genesis, and many of our events might just be confusing new players more than anything else. The last couple of events have not attracted many new players, which makes sense. It's just too confusing. However we could run an event for old players in order to cause an extra large spike, and have more people around overall.

As for the attack on Sparkle, fun as it was for us oldies, I think it would probably just be chaotic and spammy for any new players who happen to be there? So, perhaps it's better to run one of the classic events aimed at old players, and one that does not "disrupt" the normal game much. With luck maybe the article will be published in the autumn or just before Christmas, since we have a bunch of Thanksgiving/Halloween/Christmas events that probably could be run.
Pick one of the events that can be done in teams or in any way encourages teaming up, couple it with a strong encouragement of the Admin to all existing players, to tag-team up with the newly arrived newbies and bring them in on the events, and it could help create bonds between players, which is usually what keeps people coming back again and again.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 04 Aug 2018 20:27

Daerin wrote: And about the even, it would be nice to have the results/rewards of the last event, the one from eastern.
This.

Why do you want to start new event when last one is not officialy concluded yet :D

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 04 Aug 2018 22:50

Please stay on topic. If you want to discuss unposted event results, create a new thread for that.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 04 Aug 2018 22:55

The one downside of publicity could be the fact that we run a lot of content that is copyrighted intellectual property. If the Tolkien estate, Wizards of the Coast, etc. get wind of a game that features a bunch of their legally protected material that suddenly gets a writeup in PC Gamer ... well ...

In that regard, I wonder if it wouldn't be wiser for our screenshots to feature some of our original content, rather than the favorites of well-trodden fantasy literature.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 05 Aug 2018 00:06

gorboth wrote:The one downside of publicity could be the fact that we run a lot of content that is copyrighted intellectual property. If the Tolkien estate, Wizards of the Coast, etc. get wind of a game that features a bunch of their legally protected material that suddenly gets a writeup in PC Gamer ... well ...

In that regard, I wonder if it wouldn't be wiser for our screenshots to feature some of our original content, rather than the favorites of well-trodden fantasy literature.

G.
Do you really think it's a problem?
I think Genesis is more akin to fanfiction than anything else, and certainly not a commercially IP-breaching venture, but then I'm not an IP-lawyer.
I don't remember if it wasn't already mentioned in the previous article, but we have it listed right at the games own webpage, so it's not exactly a secret.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 05 Aug 2018 00:57

Makfly wrote:
gorboth wrote:The one downside of publicity could be the fact that we run a lot of content that is copyrighted intellectual property. If the Tolkien estate, Wizards of the Coast, etc. get wind of a game that features a bunch of their legally protected material that suddenly gets a writeup in PC Gamer ... well ...

G.
Do you really think it's a problem?
I think Genesis is more akin to fanfiction than anything else, and certainly not a commercially IP-breaching venture, but then I'm not an IP-lawyer.
I don't remember if it wasn't already mentioned in the previous article, but we have it listed right at the games own webpage, so it's not exactly a secret.
Genesis could most certainly get a cease and desist because the game doesn't fall under fanfiction or fair use. Even though this isn't a commercial game the IP Holder basically gets to decide what they view as damaging to their image or not. You could compare it to the lawsuit last year I wanna say where Nintendo went after fan made games, they were not sold for anything, had no intentions of selling but Nintendo viewed it as damaging against their image. And they won their cases.

Will they come after an old-school MUD? You never know, it's been said the Lotr really go after people and Nintendo just went after a non-profit gameboy game from the 90s so...

I mean even if we did fall under fair use, does anyone here really want to lawyer up and go to court with them over it?

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 05 Aug 2018 01:50

Genesis could most certainly get in trouble.

There are already licensed computer games based on areas such as Faerun.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 05 Aug 2018 02:34

My first thought was to bring up what Gorboth just brought up, that we should perhaps not showcase anything form Lotr, Dragonlance, Faerun, etc, and instead use well-written unique content, like for example from Avenir. However, the downside of doing that is that it's much harder to sell something completely new than to sell something people immediately recognize. So, I guess we need to weigh the risk versus the reward of showing something recognizable. But we've never tried to hide the fact that our world is based on existing well-known works, and always relied on (or perhaps hoped) that the fact that we Genesis is 100% non-profit, and owned by us players, would keep us in the clear. But the safe choice is probably to show our more unique parts of the world even if it most likely means fewer clicks? In the end though, I don't think the content of a screenshot or two will have that much impact compared to the article's contents.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/