Adjustment to spell effects postponed

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Arman
Wizard

Re: Adjustment to spell effects postponed

Post by Arman » 12 Jun 2020 02:02

Thalric wrote:
11 Jun 2020 23:53
Anything new to this? :)
We are on the verge of closed beta testing.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 12 Jun 2020 07:57

As in it is about to start, or almost finished?

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 12 Jun 2020 11:06

I have read this thread several times now but somehow I still dont understand.

Can you simplify this and explain it as you would to a 3 year old....is this a buff or a nerf to casters in general?

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 12 Jun 2020 20:04

Chanele wrote:
12 Jun 2020 11:06

Can you simplify this and explain it as you would to a 3 year old....is this a buff or a nerf to casters in general?
Ultimately it should be a buff to spell damage, based on the core issue. I'd be amazed if it didn't come with other changes that mitigate that buff, though (just my speculation on this second point).

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 13 Jun 2020 06:55

Chanele wrote:
12 Jun 2020 11:06

What this will do is more closely align the existing spell formula with how 'normal' special attacks work when it takes into account skills and stats. On balance I'd say a buff... but there will be positive and negative changes for spellcasters, plus opportunity for magical items to play a role in the spell system.

As far as damage output, you probably won't notice a real difference until around myth. Most spellcasters of that mortal level will have noticed a damage output "hand break" where it didn't really matter how high your mentals were, damage stopped scaling. That is going to change so that damage continues to scale with your mentals.

Magic resistance is going to change as well to align more closely to how armour protection works. Right now, a little resistance provides a lot of protection.

Spell success rates are also going to scale more appropriately. Right now chance of success basically scales on the assumption you are an expert. What this has resulted in is that, regardless of spell difficulty, base success chance for players of champion level or higher is almost 100% all the time. Considering spell difficulty is factored in to combat aid, that is going to change. Also, previously it didn't take into account anything about the target's skills or stats. That also is going to change.

When the change gets implemented, i'll put a book in the Sparkle library articulating how magic 'works'.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 13 Jun 2020 06:56

Thalric wrote:
12 Jun 2020 07:57
As in it is about to start, or almost finished?
About to start.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 13 Jun 2020 08:59

Credit given when credit is due - hats off not only for the work itself but also that explanation. Thank you, much appreciated.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 13 Jun 2020 14:06

nils wrote:
13 Jun 2020 08:59
Credit given when credit is due - hats off not only for the work itself but also that explanation. Thank you, much appreciated.
Word.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 26 Jun 2020 17:06

I hate to sound impatient, but with this matter it is a bit hard not to be.

How long does such a test usually take?
And how is it going with it?

I am looking very much forward to see how it will change things.
And I think it is wonderful it is being looked at.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 29 Jun 2020 07:20

Thalric wrote:
26 Jun 2020 17:06
I hate to sound impatient, but with this matter it is a bit hard not to be.

How long does such a test usually take?
And how is it going with it?

I am looking very much forward to see how it will change things.
And I think it is wonderful it is being looked at.
We haven't started testing. The 'kit' of spells to be tested still needs to be built, and then the admin testers will need to fit it in to their schedule. And we all are doing side projects and reviewing other stuff as well.

We aren't in a huge rush to roll out the change. There are also a number of things we are planning... and we are considering rolling this change in to a package of changes potentially.

We are shooting conservatively for Christmas. But who knows, could be much earlier if the stars align?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/