Wheel-of-Fun age limit clarification

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Wheel-of-Fun age limit clarification

Post by Cherek » 16 Dec 2020 09:05

Code: Select all

Hello,

I was made aware that my previous common board post
stated that a player has to be 18 days old to spin
the Wheel-of-Fun. That was a silly typo that has now
been fixed in the previous note. The age limit is, and
has always been, 18 HOURS old. Nothing else.

I also want to apologize to the first eleven spinners
of the wheel who, upon exiting the tree, found themself
in a very strange room that wasn't Sparkle at all. You
ended up in the room I use as exit when testing, and I had
forgotten to update the room with the exit to Sparkle before
starting the event. Due to RL-reasons I could not be
here when the event was launched, but thankfully Gorboth
and Varian was able to sort things out quickly. So, sorry
about that little surprise.

And in case you wonder, your spins still counted, you got
any points scored recorded, and since the tree was only gone
from Sparkle for about an hour (while being patched up),
there was no real harm done. Hopefully those of you who
spun the wheel during the first half hour enjoyed the extra
adventure :)

Cherek

Thalric
Rising Hero

Re: Wheel-of-Fun age limit clarification

Post by Thalric » 16 Dec 2020 15:14

18 hours is next to nothing.

Aren't you worried that there will be a huge influx of new characters, all of them funnily enough stand idle a whole lot, and then a serious spike of things available?

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 16 Dec 2020 20:25

Thalric wrote:
16 Dec 2020 15:14
18 hours is next to nothing.
It is unthinkably easy to have an idle timer on a background tab on a phone or computer for a day. I think a 7 day limit should be in effect, or a quest minimum to prove you play the game.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Dec 2020 21:09

Skythus/Thalric: The lottery is for all players, including newbies. If we raise it too much, we would exclude many true newbies, and that's not the Yuletide spirit. The suggestion of 7 days or a quest minimum would exclude a lot of players, and I don't want to do that. This Wheel-of-Fun is a gift from us wizards (and the Gnomes of Genesis), and I think the majority of our players should be able to get this gift.

The time limit is only there to make it harder to create an army of newbies to spin the wheel tons of times. Sure, you could create a newbie, let it idle for 18 hours, spin the wheel, repeat. But... that's suddenly a lot more work than just creating a bunch of new characters. I mean, 10 characters means 180 hours of idling, unless you also cheat by double-logging, and that's a lot to risk just to get a few more spins. So, hopefully 18 hours is enough to deter "casual" cheaters...

For players who badly WANT to cheat, there are always ways. But anyone idling newbies to 18 hours of age with the purpose of spinning the wheel and transferring winnings to their main char will of course be punished for it when caught (most likely all characters deleted). This did happen before we had the 18 hour limit a few years ago, and it was relatively easy to detect and delete this player, and all their characters - including the main character of course.

I think this kind of cheating comes with a very high risk (we obviously log all spins and character creations), for a relatively low reward. Is it really worth idling a bunch of new players for a day each (and not playing Genesis with your main during that time), just to be able to get some more spins so that you _maybe_ can win a good piece of EQ (or money through sales) for your main? And risk losing all your characters if we detect it? Which is pretty likely...

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 18 Dec 2020 02:45

Good point. The only hole I could see being using multiple devices or having friends log in on your toon but overall I feel like wheel of fun integrity is a lot more secure.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/