Changes to Teleport

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
zizuph
Veteran

Changes to Teleport

Post by zizuph » 05 Nov 2021 05:28

Code: Select all

As Arman had mentioned, the benefits given by targeted teleporting
can potentially be significant.  We looked at several options on
how to best settle this, and decided that a cooldown period after
teleport would be the least intrusive approach, while limiting the
untaxed combat aid that the spell potentially provided.

Going forwards, until we get a chance to review, anyone teleported
will need to wait 2 hours before they can be teleported again.  This
will affect all guilds that can memorize a teleportation destination.

For guilds that are limited to a fixed location (such as a teleport
home), there will be no delay until next teleport at this time.  We
may revisit this if there appears to be effective combat aid from
these as well.

If anyone has issues with the changes to these spells, please mail
the AoB team.  If anyone has praise, please mail Cherek and Arman. :)

Thalric
Rising Hero

Re: Changes to Teleport

Post by Thalric » 05 Nov 2021 12:01

2 hours? You might as well just remove it then.

And fixed vs not fixed...
Does that mean that Warlocks can still use their teleport to guild and portal to whatever fixed places, without delay...
But EC and WoHS has to wait 2 hours to teleport anywhere else than home to the guild?

In which case this change is utter bullshit.

Why is it that it's not just given a transport time, like DA dragons have? (I guess they don't have delay either, since it's also fixed positions??)
Or perhaps just give the OCC/lay magic guilds fixed portals to use from guild?
There are plenty of useful options to keep teleport in the game, but the one you made here just make every caster consider once again if they want to return. (since most of them left when white hits became insane and they didn't have the ability to survive in normal combat anymore).
Last edited by Thalric on 05 Nov 2021 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

Rache
Adventurer

Post by Rache » 05 Nov 2021 12:06

Thalric wrote:
05 Nov 2021 12:01
2 hours? You might as well just remove it then.

And fixed vs not fixed...
Does that mean that Warlocks can still use their teleport to guild and portal to whatever fixed places, without delay...
But EC and WoHS has to wait 2 hours to teleport anywhere else than home to the guild?

In which case this change is utter bullshit.
Good riddance to teleport abilities. And yes, the portals should be removed from the Warlocks guild hall so everyone feels the nerf more "evenly".

Dan
Adventurer

Post by Dan » 05 Nov 2021 12:31

I dont know what twilight world the immortals are living in, but clearly they havent noticed:

1: there has been a steep decline in the amount of goodies since opening of yet another evil guild and yet more evil only areas.
2: there has been a steep decline in casters since the rebalancing, which ended with approx 15% slower kill rate to an equal sized caster to an equal sized melee, with huge overpowers to a certain layman combo that now are not effected by this teleport change in contrast to the rest.

I'm pretty sure when the rebalance of the shield spells and resistances are finished, the casters will be totally obsolete, so my suggestion would be to just close the caster guilds and goodie guilds, they're clearly unwanted on genesis by the current immortals.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 05 Nov 2021 13:34

I am in favour of removing any and all teleport abilities. I would also suggest the ones stripped of them be compensated with something else that's cool.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 05 Nov 2021 15:21

The frustration you show here is the same frustration the rest of us have been experience for years, seeing your teams pop around the donut, killing all major npcs etc. It is always harder to be the spectator is it not?

With that said, I kind of agree.
1, 2 hours cooldown on team teleports is ok
2, Standardize self teleport/home/dragons to a set amount of time. DAs dragons are slower than a ship, if you need to take two ships you end up with a faster travel option(within one domain I might add). Balanced and a cool ability.
3, Warlocks needs adjustments just like any instant telport ability we have out there.
4, All abilites like teleport, beasts, dragons or whatever you have should have the same travel spots and equal amount of travel time, slightly better than a ship.

Ps, how on earth could we ever allow memorized teleport spots? Game breaking to say the least

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 05 Nov 2021 15:54

Chanele wrote:
05 Nov 2021 15:21
Ps, how on earth could we ever allow memorized teleport spots? Game breaking to say the least
It must obviously have been a measure to keep goodies playing, otherwise they'd be obsolete and would have been closed.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 05 Nov 2021 16:47

Dan wrote:
05 Nov 2021 12:31
I dont know what twilight world the immortals are living in, but clearly they havent noticed:

1: there has been a steep decline in the amount of goodies since opening of yet another evil guild and yet more evil only areas.
2: there has been a steep decline in casters since the rebalancing, which ended with approx 15% slower kill rate to an equal sized caster to an equal sized melee, with huge overpowers to a certain layman combo that now are not effected by this teleport change in contrast to the rest.

I'm pretty sure when the rebalance of the shield spells and resistances are finished, the casters will be totally obsolete, so my suggestion would be to just close the caster guilds and goodie guilds, they're clearly unwanted on genesis by the current immortals.
Hi Dan,

Some words.

1. The decline started before the release of both the guild and the new area. Anecdotes says its related to the end of the war, and ofcourse, some might have jumped ship after guild opening.

2. Not sure about the killrate, or where you have this data from, but all layman casters sporting teleportspells are equally affected, good-aligned and evil-aligned alike.

I opt for the opposite - that they will be more playable, but we'll see. No idea why you include goodie guilds in this though - several of them are melee-based and not magic. :?:

Dan
Adventurer

Post by Dan » 05 Nov 2021 17:17

Nerull wrote:
05 Nov 2021 16:47

1. The decline started before the release of both the guild and the new area. Anecdotes says its related to the end of the war, and ofcourse, some might have jumped ship after guild opening.

2. Not sure about the killrate, or where you have this data from, but all layman casters sporting teleportspells are equally affected, good-aligned and evil-aligned alike.

I opt for the opposite - that they will be more playable, but we'll see. No idea why you include goodie guilds in this though - several of them are melee-based and not magic. :?:
1: It's a trend that evils have been favorized the last years, areas opening with 'evil' npcs that are neutral, areas with 'good' npcs are good, widening the kill areas evils have available to the ones goodies have available., the teleport somewhat alleviated that widening gap of kill areas available. Not anymore. keep widening the gap, one day it will be so big that you have only other neutrals/evils to play with.

2: Killrate, I have extensive tests of both melees and casters exact prog timers, and adding a melee to a team setup (ofcourse with decent gear) cuts prog rates with 10-30% faster speed depending on the efficiency of the melee character., The caster still need to spend approx 30% of his kill time on preparing components for the next day, while the melee grabs one end of his sword and goes out mindlessly bashing - but casters then get SO many extra abilities, abilities that are stripped 1 by 1 in each 'rebalance'.,.

2b: I love how you always spread the story about warlock and EW being 'equal' as if having portals to 3 domains + the domain you are in to begin with is evenly compared to having a teleport home where you need to take 1 ship before you're even at even terms with the warlock who has a teleport straight to the hub of the world, a teleport directly to an evil only kill area in (cair) and more.... But that nails it exactly how evils are favourized through half-truths like your statement there.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 05 Nov 2021 19:49

Dan:

1. Uhm? In recent times we have opened and/or upgraded several grinding areas. Most of those have evil NPCs. So I don't know what you mean here. But it's easier to discuss specifics. Which newly added areas have been created to benefit evil players only? And which newly added areas have "evil" NPCs that are in fact neutral? Just say which ones you mean, otherwise we'll just have to guess what you mean, and that's not very productive.

That said, we all know the alignment in Genesis has some issues. It's always been most beneficial for grinding to be neutral, followed by evil, while goodies have the hardest time grinding. This is problematic, and we have discussed it many times, but it's hardly a new problem. It was a problem in -97 when I started playing, and it's still a problem. That's bad of course, but it has nothing to do with any recent changes, rather, the problem is that nobody has fixed the underlying problem (alignment). And that's not a discussion for this thread. Feel free to start another thread if you want to discuess that.

2. Just because this change is negative for casters does not mean every change in the future will be. Obviously the goal is for both casters and melee to be roughly equally powerful and just as fun (but different) to play. We have a new AoB team that just started working on this, so, give them some time before you judge them/us?

Adjusting teleport is something a lot of players have requested, and the admin and AoB team (both old and new) have all agreed that we need to change how teleports work. Yes, it sucks when you've gotten used to these abilities, and obviousy we wish we would have been able to make these changes sooner, but, at least now we have someone who is willing and motivated to work on fixing things again. And that will be a good thing for the game as a whole.

2b. Read the common board :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/