Change to Stat Prefs ...

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Change to Stat Prefs ...

Post by gorboth » 01 Jun 2010 23:17

Rhaegar wrote:Why can't we just go back to the old system, where you entered the numbers all by yourself?
Having 70 in focus for one stat was imba, but otherwise it was pretty cool.
Because then we get a nation of Hobbit madmen who will rule the world. Never a good idea! ;-)
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 02 Jun 2010 01:25

gorboth wrote:
sharn wrote:
gorboth wrote:Correct. There is no way to set equal focus on two stats. The new physical/mental allows you to set equal focus on first three or second three.

G.
I would like to know what setting gives me more experience overall for strength, dexterity and constitution:
"physical" setting or "strength and constitution" setting?
If you chose to pref STR and CON, your DEX stat would receive a lower pref than if you chose PHYSICAL.

If you chose to pref PHYSICAL, your STR and CON would receive a lower pref than if you chose STR and CON alone, but your DEX would obviously benefit more than otherwise.

Hopefully this makes sense.
G.
Ummm.
My question was supposed to mean: :mrgreen:

Is the sum of the prefs (str + dex + con)
greater for "physical" setting or for the "STR and CON" setting?

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 02 Jun 2010 15:56

Let me put it how I see it:

stat+stat focus = 23 25 13 13 13 13
focus 3 = 20 20 20 13 13 14

The quota remains the same, it just gets spread equally over larger population.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 02 Jun 2010 20:25

There you go!

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 02 Jun 2010 21:06

So, I was right? Or at least close to the truth?

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 03 Jun 2010 05:13

I doubt the difference between the primary and secondary stats is that small, and you are not taking into account the racial modifiers, but yeah, that is how I also read it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 Jun 2010 15:28

gorboth wrote:Correct. There is no way to set equal focus on two stats. The new physical/mental allows you to set equal focus on first three or second three.

G.
My point is INT/WIS/DIS is a combination of little use in the game, thus that option will most likely not be used by anyone but true newbies that havent learned this yet. Anyway, nothing wrong with options though, first three is still useful but I think spellcasters in the world would love a WIS/INT focusing option without the DIS. Fighters need the three first, casters need the INT/WIS. Nobody needs DIS...:) Unless gobbos perhaps but they'd focus on it alone then, not together with int and wis unless its a cowardly caster goblin but I wonder how many of those we have...?:)

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 03 Jun 2010 17:20

I never set anything in DIS as a gobbo, even during the old days, my int/wis/dis setting was 5/5/5.
Who cares if you can't attack shit? Smaller chances it's going to kill you :)

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 03 Jun 2010 17:59

Was always true then....
But more annoying now. With Epic dis required to attack npcs that have tasty gear..
I guess the wizards felt like rewarding dis somehow.

I hate not attacking at all tho, even for npcs attacking you.
IMO it would be cooler if you could attack but then ran off screaming when they hurt you a bit etc.. making more use of panic in combat..
Was cool npc got chance to go super brave and attack anyway.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 03 Jun 2010 18:47

The thing with discipline was that it used to be use for leading. You would not be able to lead someone who was much bigger than you (just like you aren't able to attack much larger enemies). It also affected specials, even if the NPC or huge player attacked you, you wouldn't be able to trigger your special attacks against him if you didn't dare. Plus it helped against dragonfear duration. However, all of these checks were removed or modified. And nowadays the players are so big that even someone with little discipline won't wimp that easily.

That is why goblins are considered the best battle race, because they have good strength, highest constitution and no dexterity penalty. Their mental weakness doesn't affect them at all. If battle actually required mentals, it would be pretty different. Dexterity based battle is, in my mind, swinging your sword as fast as you can in front of you. Intellect based battle would be more like fencing, where you strike only when you find a good opportunity, thus not getting tired.

I also think that the panic system doesn't work. A goblin with very low discipline can fight for hours and grind just as a dwarf with very high discipline (and even kill faster than him). Panic should either drop faster in battle (so that a champion goblin killing trolls in Mithas would become panicked after a two or three teams), or drop slower but be not recoverable (so that after half an hour of tanking you are forced to rest to recover your nerves if you have been battling bigger things).

Or remove discipline altogether and let us put all that experience in other stats. That is one of the most awful features of dwarves, we are good at something that is not used at all in the game.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/