Hardcore world pvp. Yes or no?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Quantum
Adept

Hardcore world pvp. Yes or no?

Post by Quantum » 30 Jun 2022 00:32

Greetings all,

I recently watched this video from JoshStrifeHayes on his youtube channel. It explains why hardcore world pvp may not be what you really want in the long term. I tend to agree. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFh-Y7s ... &index=106

Q

Thalric
Rising Hero

Re: Hardcore world pvp. Yes or no?

Post by Thalric » 01 Jul 2022 09:52

I think the people around here who likes pvp, loves the idea of them always winning.
Doesn't really matter if the losing side thinks it sucks.. we can always just stop complaining and fuck off.

That is generally the feeling I have gotten on that subject.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 01 Jul 2022 21:19

I hear you..

Only one thing that is more annoying...people who complain about PVP when being on the recieving end but shamelessly participate when they got the upper hand.

PVP is part of the game we all signed up for. What we can do, and wish for, is making it more balanced across the boards and that PVP-tools are being more spread out among the guilds.

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 01 Jul 2022 21:30

Thalric wrote:
01 Jul 2022 09:52
I think the people around here who likes pvp, loves the idea of them always winning.
Doesn't really matter if the losing side thinks it sucks.. we can always just stop complaining and fuck off.

That is generally the feeling I have gotten on that subject.
I'm small. I regularily get shredded in pvp, and forced to run in seconds. I still love it.

Might not be many of us, but win or lose I find pvp fun.
Stabby stabby stab stab.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 02 Jul 2022 00:11

Chanele wrote:
01 Jul 2022 21:19
Only one thing that is more annoying...people who complain about PVP when being on the recieving end but shamelessly participate when they got the upper hand.
This.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 04 Jul 2022 07:19

I do respect JSH for all his videos and agree that open world hardcore PvP MMOs are bad. I had my share of misery trying to traverse the infamous Conal Valley in Age of Conan (it was commonly referred to as the Griefer's Valley of Doom) and was unable to continue my main quest as I wasn't able to reach the checkpoint at the end of said valley without being killed for hours.

But, Genesis is not a hardcore PvP world. Yes, PvP in Genesis is hardcore but it is not a hardcore PvP world. Unlike in other MMOs you don't get to suffer from griefing. Sure, there were instances in the past where people got killed repeatedly but nothing like that has happened recently to my knowledge. Another thing to note is that Genesis population is rather small so any instance of griefing will be met with swift punishment of the perpetrator(s) by the Wizards and potential restoration of the victim.

Another thing is the fact that most PvP in Genesis usually comes with casus belli. People don't attack and kill at random, most killings have a reason behind it. You can play Genesis for decades and not participate in PvP even once.

The chance of a player being attacked out of the blue for no reason is miniscule, and most of the time when such things happen the community itself intervenes on behalf of the victim, aiding with recovery, finding new equipment and hunting the attacker. For obvious cases of abuse there's also AoP intervention.

In summary, despite Genesis having hardcore PvP it is actually a very peaceful game, where most people go about their day without having to worry about anything.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 04 Jul 2022 07:38

I thought that for the sake of any further discussion I would also clarify to any potential newcomers why PvP in Genesis is so hardcore as there seem to be plenty of misconceptions about it. Many people seem to believe in some idealized version of PvP where you fight mano-a-mano in a fair contest. It's nothing like that.

PvP in Genesis, due to the nature of the game, is based around stacking odds heavily in your favour (one of the reasons why it may seem "unfair" to many). It won't be one on one but four or five on one, the attackers will carefully choose the time and place by stalking their intended prey, often for months to learn their habits, or by luring them to the desired spot where escape is very hard if not impossible. Genesis has seen its fair share of betrayals and convoluted epic plots that resulted in death of an individual.

I think that people who like PvP in Genesis are drawn to this aspect of it: careful planning, preparation, scheming and strategizing that can take a long time. It does build a lot of suspense and makes the thrill of the kill that much better.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/