What are you reading right now?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Habiki
Adept

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Habiki » 02 Feb 2015 20:17

I agree Snow Crash is good. I went back to back Snowcrash ---> Ready Player One but I gotta say I find the latter more enjoyable, if less imaginative. Snowcrash is convoluted and Ready Player One is a more straight forward, easy read.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 05 Feb 2015 16:40

Habiki wrote:Almost done with Ready Player One. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One
This sounded nice so I decided it would be my next book. I've really started to get into audiobooks, so I started this one last night. It sure starts off interesting. Feels promising so far!

As for recommending books I've found myself in the "young adult" genre lately, which I guess Ready Player One also fits into, even though I am more like a real adult than a young adult these days.:) I liked The Hunger Games series, books are better than the movies, and the Divergent series I thought was better than Hunger Games actually, definitely recommend those if you like these types of books and haven't read / listened to them. I strongly do NOT recommend the Maze Runner series (which also became a movie recently), ugh, the story idea, and first book is decent, then it's just a downward spiral from there according to me.

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 05 Feb 2015 20:42

'Ready Player One' is well written but that specific genre is not to my taste so it rates as average in my personal opinion.
I am currently reading 'Half the World' by Joe Abercrombie (Shattered Sea #2) and like it better.

Khyros
Beginner

Post by Khyros » 06 Feb 2015 00:57

I just finished a second run through of the Dresden Files.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 07 Mar 2015 15:59

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Over 1k pages of awesome. When I saw it on the shelf I simply had to get it based solely on the title.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 08 Mar 2015 00:54

Cherek wrote:
Habiki wrote:Almost done with Ready Player One. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One
This sounded nice so I decided it would be my next book. I've really started to get into audiobooks, so I started this one last night. It sure starts off interesting. Feels promising so far!
Finished Ready Player One a while ago. I liked it. It's like a fast paced and fun 80s pop culture history lesson. Nothing fancy, spectacular or "clever", just straight forward and entertaining. And Will Weaton does a good job narrating the audio book.

Now, back to the fantasy/sci-fi genre with "Steelheart" by Brandon Sanderson. Like it so far. For the Fantasy lover I definitely recommend the Mistborn trilogy by the same author.

Icarus
Veteran

Post by Icarus » 08 Mar 2015 06:51

Cherek wrote:
Cherek wrote:
Finished Ready Player One a while ago. I liked it. It's like a fast paced and fun 80s pop culture history lesson. Nothing fancy, spectacular or "clever", just straight forward and entertaining. And Will Weaton does a good job narrating the audio book.

Now, back to the fantasy/sci-fi genre with "Steelheart" by Brandon Sanderson. Like it so far. For the Fantasy lover I definitely recommend the Mistborn trilogy by the same author.
I got "Ready Player One" in the last LootCrate, so with these promising reviews, I guess I'll read it....
Flee you fools!

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 10 Mar 2015 16:20

Currently going through Slaughterhouse Five again. :D

Dread
Great Adventurer

Post by Dread » 22 Oct 2016 19:19

Bromen wrote:The Name of the Wind starts very slow. After 60% of the book, it becomes incredible. He really should be more popular.

-Carmelo
Thread necromancy!

I read the 2 Kingkiller chronicles, and now I hate you.

That mother f#$%^#$%^ is NEVER going to finish the third book.

Taro
Adventurer

Post by Taro » 22 Oct 2016 23:07

I'm damn ready for the end of the Kingkiller trilogy. I need to know the ending of the story.
“There was this about vampires : they could never look scruffy. Instead, they were... what was the word... deshabille. It meant untidy, but with bags and bags of style.”

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/