Genesis Forums
https://www.genesismud.org/forums/

What are you reading right now?
https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1326
Page 7 of 14

Author:  Avatar [ 09 Sep 2013 20:36 ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading right now?

Reading Game of Thrones and have the newest Salvatore book, Companions, lying in wait.

Author:  Nagash [ 27 Oct 2013 20:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading right now?

Re-reading "The Black Company" by Glen Cook for umpteenth time. Still absolutely amazing.

Code:
We did have four modestly accomplished wizards to stand sentinel against predatory tomorrows-though never by any means as sophisticated as divining through sheeps’ entrails.

Code:
Evil is relative…You can’t hang a sign on it. You can’t touch it or taste it or cut it with a sword. Evil depends on where you are standing, pointing your indicting finger.

Code:
Rich men have dreams. Poor men die to make them come true.

Author:  Zhar [ 27 Oct 2013 22:31 ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading right now?

I wasn't able to get through Glen Cook. Tried 3 times already, the farthest I got in Black Company was around 300-400 pages.

Now reading Starfish by Peter Watts.

Image

Pretty awesome so far (I'm 250 pages in). It's really amazing to read about all this deep-sea stuff (Watts has a doctorate in marine biology so he knows his stuff) and all of it in a hard sci-fi setting. Recommended.

I think you can read/get all of his books here for free under the CC license:
http://www.rifters.com/
(navigate to Now -> Backlist)

Tarax the Terrible wrote:
Nagash wrote:
-'The First Heretic' Aaron Dembski-Bowden - WH40k novel from the Horus Heresy series. Amazing novel as much as most of books from the series, not quite what you would expect from typical "rpg-literature".



Sounds interesting, will reading that one 1st spoil anything from the others if I like it and want to go backwards?
You might like Stan Nicholls 'Orcs' books - Bodyguard of Lightning, Legion of Thunder, and Warriors of the Tempest
Written from the orcs perspective and also not what you would usually expect.


With Horus Heresy series you should really start from the beginning (unless you're big on the lore and you know what happened, then it doesn't matter so much). First five books are pretty much mandatory, after that it's like Wall Street when it comes to the quality of writing. Stick to James Swallow, Dan Abnett (with exception of Prospero Burns), Graham MacNeill, Aarond Dembski-Bowden and Gav Thorpe. You can pretty much skip all the rest as they're sub-par.

Author:  Nagash [ 13 Nov 2013 13:43 ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading right now?

Zhar wrote:
I wasn't able to get through Glen Cook. Tried 3 times already, the farthest I got in Black Company was around 300-400 pages.


I agree that mr Cook is not as masterful storyteller as Tolkien or Martin, yet the sheer magnitude of the things happening around the main characters just tickles my imagination the right way. Seven days long siege of a mage's tower with at least quarter of million casualties on both sides of the conflict! Spells that turn stone cliffs into lava! Imagine being simple soldier witnessing something like that, how helpless would that feel. It very much like being an orc in Dark Lord's army on the day of the battle on fields of Pelennor. Also I like how he "philosophizes" on relativity of good and evil, while making his characters serve the obviously evil side of the conflict. You could try book 2 "Shadows linger" of the black company chronicles btw, it's much more consistently written.

Author:  Zhar [ 13 Nov 2013 19:32 ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading right now?

I think I'll give it a shot some day (I can't stand by and see how the three books I got from the series are gathering dust on the shelves). Tolkien/Martin being different than that doesn't bother me as I don't like them very much. Tolkien's world-creation is outstanding but his prose is one of the most boring things to read. With Martin... Well, I think that the entire Songs of Ice and Fire are pretty much garbage (and I threw the 4 books I read into the garbage bin, where they belong).

Author:  gorboth [ 13 Nov 2013 21:44 ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading right now?

Zhar wrote:
I think I'll give it a shot some day (I can't stand by and see how the three books I got from the series are gathering dust on the shelves). Tolkien/Martin being different than that doesn't bother me as I don't like them very much. Tolkien's world-creation is outstanding but his prose is one of the most boring things to read. With Martin... Well, I think that the entire Songs of Ice and Fire are pretty much garbage (and I threw the 4 books I read into the garbage bin, where they belong).

You know nothing, John Snow.

Okay, so they are trashy. I confess. But hey, I've enjoyed my share of trash over the years, and Martin is definitely one of my guilty pleasures. Compared to some of the stuff I end up reading, though ... *shudder*

More confessions: because I share a Kindle with my daughter, I've been foolishly tricked into reading the Twilight Saga! (I don't want to talk about it.) *wail*

G.

Author:  Amorana [ 13 Nov 2013 22:42 ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading right now?

gorboth wrote:
Zhar wrote:
I think I'll give it a shot some day (I can't stand by and see how the three books I got from the series are gathering dust on the shelves). Tolkien/Martin being different than that doesn't bother me as I don't like them very much. Tolkien's world-creation is outstanding but his prose is one of the most boring things to read. With Martin... Well, I think that the entire Songs of Ice and Fire are pretty much garbage (and I threw the 4 books I read into the garbage bin, where they belong).

You know nothing, John Snow.

Okay, so they are trashy. I confess. But hey, I've enjoyed my share of trash over the years, and Martin is definitely one of my guilty pleasures. Compared to some of the stuff I end up reading, though ... *shudder*

More confessions: because I share a Kindle with my daughter, I've been foolishly tricked into reading the Twilight Saga! (I don't want to talk about it.) *wail*

G.



Wait... You're disappointed about that? I have been praying for the mystical land of "Seattle" to come to Genesis ever since the trilogy came out! :twisted:

Author:  Laurel [ 13 Nov 2013 23:28 ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading right now?

Amorana wrote:
I have been praying for the mystical land of "Seattle" to come to Genesis ever since the trilogy came out! :twisted:


You'd rather RP Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains or Pearl Jam? ;p

Author:  gorboth [ 14 Nov 2013 06:46 ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading right now?

Heh, I hail from that mystic land myself. And, believe it or not, my father knew Jerry Cantrell from Alice in Chains, because he was principal at the high school Jerry attended in his young days. ;-)

G.

Author:  Amorana [ 14 Nov 2013 16:26 ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading right now?

Laurel wrote:
Amorana wrote:
I have been praying for the mystical land of "Seattle" to come to Genesis ever since the trilogy came out! :twisted:


You'd rather RP Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains or Pearl Jam? ;p


I'd stop worshiping Psuchae and go full on Necro if we could get Kurt back for one more performance.

Page 7 of 14 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/