The Solar System

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

The Solar System

Post by Zhar » 08 Mar 2013 15:49

Did you know? This is how our solar system actually moves through space.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: The Solar System

Post by Cherek » 08 Mar 2013 17:04

I didnt know that. Cool.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 08 Mar 2013 17:40

Well,

This is another theory about our solar system. There is no direct evidence that it is moving through space. What is clear is that everything is moving, ever expanding away from the center point of the big bang (if you believe in the big bang) but again this is all theoretical.

I think it is cool to imagine our solar system this way though. Almost like we are a space ship!

Awesome!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 08 Mar 2013 17:56

I am gonna go with this theory. I like the thought of being onboard a starship.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 08 Mar 2013 19:31

I'm pretty sure this is accurate. Why would we not be moving? Do not all the contents of the Milky Way orbit around the super-massive black hole at the galactic core? As such, I think Sol would be doing just this sort of thing, and I am not aware that it is theoretical at all. :-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 08 Mar 2013 19:41

It is not theoretical. Everything in the universe is moving, there are even rogue stars and planets being thrown out of their systems and travelling through space at incredible speeds (as gravity can also push things back, not just get them closer). There are even entire galaxies colliding, which results in creation of thousands of new stars, planets and entire systems.

Another impressions of system movement in space are pretty clearly visible when looking at the black widow type system:

It's quite fascinating.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 08 Mar 2013 19:52

It is theoretical because there is no concrete proof.

We are not able to measure our speed, exact direction of travel, in relation to anything else outside our galaxy. Everything in the universe is moving, away from everything else, ever expanding...however the image that is posted is a theoretical representation of our movement through space.

It's like a black hole. People assume they exist based on the evidence available, however they are theoretical. Theoretical Physicists are working in the theoretical application of physics based on evidence they glean from the universe.

The only way this would not be theoretical is if we left our solar system, looked back at it, and saw that it was moving.

Windemere

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 09 Mar 2013 01:13

I'm sure that you're all wrong and this is how our world actually looks like:
Attachments
t86ecd7_A__Tuin_and_the_Disc_World_by_theyoungto.jpg
t86ecd7_A__Tuin_and_the_Disc_World_by_theyoungto.jpg (23.2 KiB) Viewed 3602 times

Icarus
Veteran

Post by Icarus » 09 Mar 2013 04:30

Uhm, not so sure that we live on the diskworld but.... I wouldn't have minded ;)
Flee you fools!

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 09 Mar 2013 04:46

You guys should check out this site: http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

Their forums make for some wonderful reading (I don't know if I've seen higher posting standards and post quality on any other forums to date - at least it used to be so).

I'd definitely get some of their T-shirts too :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/