Ancient Genesis sites

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Makfly
Champion

Ancient Genesis sites

Post by Makfly » 01 Dec 2013 00:49

I came upon this site today, and I thought I'd seen most Genesis-related sites, but I never saw this one before. Interesting trip down memory lane, especially if you check the outdated Information page.
http://www.lysator.liu.se/mud/katmandus/Genesis.html

Apparently in 1991 these were the stats for the community:

Code: Select all

Total number of player characters: 1850
Average number of players online: 25
Total number of wizard characters: 142
Average number of wizards online: 10 
I wonder what it looks like 12 years later :-)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Ancient Genesis sites

Post by gorboth » 01 Dec 2013 04:42

FQDN: Temporary site: hamal2.cs.chalmers.se
Yep! That's what I remember logging in to back in 1993 when I first tried it out. Ah ... fun stuff.

Policy on Disciplinary Actions: Assholes are demoted without compunction. Some people get a second chance, if the admins are in a benevolent mood.
I need to find and hire the old AoP! ;-)

Policy on Individual Castles: Individual castles don't exist. Genesis is built on cooperation.
I'm not sure if this is referring to private residences, or the old extremely ancient concept of castles as a way for wizards to let players run around in their newly created content. This was a wild thing that only the earliest players will remember. Rae, maybe? I know Elessar played back then.

Supposedly wizards would create an area, connect it to a "castle" that they would then drop on the ground somewhere in the game. Players could find that castle, and enter it, and enjoy the content of the new area with the castle as the link. This was all before the "backbone" of Sparkle was created, and we had domains or shiplines.

Number/type of available races: Human, elf, hobbit, gnome, dwarf, goblin.
Gnomes were a later addition. I had thought that goblins weren't in the original lineup, either, but I could be wrong.

Number/type of available guilds: Many
In 1991? I'm skeptical about this, but I wasn't around so I'd love to be corrected by anyone who was. So far as I've heard the "Notorious Hellfire Club" was one of about two or three main guilds that most people played. If I recall the history, Nick created the Knighthood of Solamnia fairly early in 1992. 1992-1993 was when the development of the game absolutely exploded, and we saw the creation of most of the guilds that existed then: Kahedan Monks, Rangers of Gondor, Calian Warriors, Mystics of Terel, Vampyr of Emerald, Gladiators of Athas - these were the 6 occ guilds I recall being open when I first played.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Mumon
Wanderer

Re: Ancient Genesis sites

Post by Mumon » 01 Dec 2013 12:39

I'm fairly sure personal castles is a concept from the old Genesis. The one before they created CD-mudlib and recoded the whole thing. So I guess they put that sentence there just to clarify they didn't want it in the new Genesis.
I agree that there weren't many open guilds back then. The Notorious Hellfire Club only existed in the old Genesis afaik.

/M

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/