Skype chats?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Aristos
Veteran

Skype chats?

Post by Aristos » 13 May 2014 20:57

Hey,

I was wondering. Do you guys have a skype chat or something similar? What's the way to get into it? I'd love to chat a bit while doing my thing on the mud. It gets lonely sometimes ;-)

Greneth

Re: Skype chats?

Post by Greneth » 13 May 2014 21:39

There use to be a Facebook chat, not sure Iif it's still around anymore.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 15 May 2014 21:39

Greneth wrote:There use to be a Facebook chat, not sure Iif it's still around anymore.
Unfortunately Facebook removed the chat function for groups... for some silly reason. I tried to find some online chat app or something as replacement, but couldn't find any good ones. Is Skype the best thing? Anyone knows about any other alternatives?

If Skype is the best I guess we could set up a Skype chat. I also think it's possible to turn on a chat function on the forum. Dont know what people would prefer?

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 15 May 2014 23:34

Cherek wrote:
Greneth wrote:There use to be a Facebook chat, not sure Iif it's still around anymore.
Unfortunately Facebook removed the chat function for groups... for some silly reason. I tried to find some online chat app or something as replacement, but couldn't find any good ones. Is Skype the best thing? Anyone knows about any other alternatives?

If Skype is the best I guess we could set up a Skype chat. I also think it's possible to turn on a chat function on the forum. Dont know what people would prefer?
To be honest if you're looking to go that route, team speak which I think Bromen asked about in an earlier post? I forget, would be the way to go. Allows for a chat function and voice with the option to create several different public/private rooms. Also allows for moderators.

Not all but most use some form of chat already, could be well received. If the forums allow chat I'd say just do that though. 10 times easier.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 16 May 2014 01:33

Greneth wrote:
Cherek wrote:

To be honest if you're looking to go that route, team speak which I think Bromen asked about in an earlier post? I forget, would be the way to go. Allows for a chat function and voice with the option to create several different public/private rooms. Also allows for moderators.

Not all but most use some form of chat already, could be well received. If the forums allow chat I'd say just do that though. 10 times easier.
Question is how many use Teamspeak? I dont, and I am not sure I'd be that interested to install another program "only" to Genesis chat. I'd imagine more people have Skype installed(?), but Skype chats arent very good either... especially since you need to invite people. So yeah, forum might be the best solution... if possible. I know there was a chat back on the Eden forum, not sure if we ever had one on this forum at some point too? Both since both were phpBB-forums I am guessing it can be done here as well. However then it would of course be subject to our current forum rules I suppose, meaning it would need moderation... and maybe people are more interested to talk completely freely about Genesis as they have always done using whatever instant messenger program popular at the time?

Hmm.

I do think a chat of some sort out of the game chat would be nice. People talking about Gen is likely to make people more interested to play. I know both the Facebook chat and the Eden chat had that effect on me at least.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 16 May 2014 02:31

The forums would be the best way to go if it can be done, it ties in with the game. When you have player ran things like that it usually goes downhill due to favoritism. We need moderation, myself more then others at times. I threw out team speak just because of how simple it would be.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 16 May 2014 04:06

Greneth wrote:The forums would be the best way to go if it can be done, it ties in with the game. When you have player ran things like that it usually goes downhill due to favoritism. We need moderation, myself more then others at times. I threw out team speak just because of how simple it would be.
Yeah, I agree. I am fairly sure a chat is possible technically, the main question is probably if we have enough enough willing moderators for a chat.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 16 May 2014 08:39

Cherek wrote:
Greneth wrote:The forums would be the best way to go if it can be done, it ties in with the game. When you have player ran things like that it usually goes downhill due to favoritism. We need moderation, myself more then others at times. I threw out team speak just because of how simple it would be.
Yeah, I agree. I am fairly sure a chat is possible technically, the main question is probably if we have enough enough willing moderators for a chat.
I dream of a world when we, as adults, can somehow be moderate enough not to use it for purposes that aren't deemed, hmm, ethical.

We could use the panopticon method, and log everything. People who feel watched tend to behave a bit more ethically.

The platonic metaphor of the invisible ring comes to mind: What would you do if you could do anything and nobody could see you?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/