Brush with Greatness ...

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Brush with Greatness ...

Post by gorboth » 25 Sep 2016 14:13

What's been your favorite brush with greatness? 16 years ago I had mine:

http://archives.theonering.net/perl/new ... /956097129

Back then, TORN.net was the absolute hub for all things LOTR movie related, and I was nuts for the project.

Share any you've got!
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Titan

Re: Brush with Greatness ...

Post by Avatar » 25 Sep 2016 18:04

Can't link to any of it, nor copy/paste as the mails are lost, but I've communicated extensively with Elaine Cunningham (the writer that created Liriel, whom I played in Genesis for years), R.A Salvatore, the creator of Drizzt and Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis, the creators of the Dragonlance setting.

Years ago, I were very passionate about Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms, so read anything I could get my hands on, and milked the authors for every piece of info I could get :)
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 25 Sep 2016 18:13

Received a Cease and Desist letter from Raymond E. Feists lawyers. Does that count?

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 26 Sep 2016 05:22

cotillion wrote:Received a Cease and Desist letter from Raymond E. Feists lawyers. Does that count?

The hell did you do? :P

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 27 Sep 2016 18:46

I shook hands with Garrison Keillor.

Etanukar
Adept

Post by Etanukar » 27 Sep 2016 21:39

Autographed poster of Larry Bird that says "Good Luck with your Basketball career"
Gee, thanks Larry

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 27 Sep 2016 23:51

Etanukar wrote:Autographed poster of Larry Bird that says "Good Luck with your Basketball career"
Gee, thanks Larry
lol, finally something noteworthy

LARRY LEGEND!

this reminded me to watch best sports documentary film once again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB2KKSH6Rjc

:D

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 28 Sep 2016 11:13

I have a letter from the Academy signed Tom Hanks informing me that my film has not been nominated for a Student Oscar. (Yes there's special Academy Awards for student films, and when I went to film school my graduation film was selected as Sweden's contribution that year). A fancy letter with golden statues all over saying "thank you but no thank you, was probably the peak of my film career.:)

Twire
Greenhorne

Post by Twire » 04 Oct 2016 00:19

My favorite: when I was 17 years old, I had coffee and pie with Ray Bradbury on Christmas Eve afternoon. He was at a book-shop for a book signing that almost no one showed up to. He graciously signed my tattered old copy of the Martian Chronicles, even though I was too young, clueless, and poor to buy the copy of the actual new book he was there to sign. If he found that rude, he said nothing, and in the nearly-empty bookshop he invited me to sit down with him for coffee and pie. For over an hour, he told me great stories about his life as an early sci-fi author. <3

gold bezie
Expert

Post by gold bezie » 04 Oct 2016 10:08

Great to read all these stories. Mine is not as amazing as getting a mail or letter from a famous actor or drinking coffee with a great writer, but still here it goes:
When i was still a student, 16 horsepower was a well known alternative band. For those who dont know it here is a link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-vpAn15-vE
<3
My boyfriend back then (now husband) was/is a journalist and was able to get an interview with the singer of the band. So i grabbed my old camera (borrowed i was very poor) and went with him pretending i was a serious photographer. During the interview David Eugene Edwards looked at me strange (like trying to see through me it was really scary), so i started to look back (attack is the best defence).
I was scared he would ask questions about my stupid camera or what the hell i was doing here, but he didnt. He just turned his face away and looked at his feet. And continued the interview.

Thank you sir! So that was my brush with greatness
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/