Net Neutrality in the United States

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Dhez
Great Adventurer

Net Neutrality in the United States

Post by Dhez » 22 Nov 2017 12:53

For those of you in the United States, I invite you to read the following:

What is net neutrality?
Net neutrality is the idea that internet service providers (ISPs) treat everyone’s data equally – whether that’s an email from your mother, a bank transfer or a streamed episode of Stranger Things. It means that ISPs, which control the delivery pipes, don’t get to choose which data is sent more quickly, and which sites get blocked or throttled (for example, slowing the delivery of a TV show because it is streamed by a video company that competes with a subsidiary of the ISP) and who has to pay extra. For this reason, some have described net neutrality as the “first amendment of the internet”.

Why is net neutrality under threat?
In February 2015, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) voted to more strictly regulate ISPs and to enshrine in law the principles of net neutrality. The vote reclassified wireless and fixed-line broadband service providers as title II “common carriers”, a public utility-type designation that gives the FCC the ability to set rates, open up access to competitors and more closely regulate the industry. Two years on, Trump’s new FCC chairman, Ajit Pai, a former Verizon lawyer, has pushed to overturn the 2015 order arguing they overstep the FCC's jurisdiction and hinder corporate innovation. On 18 May, the FCC voted to support a new proposal that would repeal the order and started a 90-day period in which members of the public could comment. A final vote is expected in December
Source

As an example of how it could look like in the States, peek at Portugal:

Last edited by Dhez on 22 Nov 2017 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Kitriana
Champion

Re: Net Neutrality in the United States

Post by Kitriana » 22 Nov 2017 14:03

There are lots of reasons to be against net neutrality as well.
It is not as simple an issue as either side wants to present.
People should do proper research on both sides and not just listen to the fear mongering of one side.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 22 Nov 2017 14:34

Kitriana makes a good point in that this is a topic which, as with all sensible ones, regardless of choice there will be pros and contras. It is easy to interpret this as a political, economical, or legal issue, but the main cause of concern and the reason for which we should inform ourselves about it is because one way or another it has the capacity to bring about a drastic change to something we've made a habit of using: the internet.

Here are some points of view from the other side of the spectrum:

Mashable

Forbes

It's the sign of an intelligent mind to consider an idea without being for or against it, and examine it from various perspectives in order to form an opinion which, again, should be (re)examined as more information is gathered and arguments considered.

Either way, it's needless to say our internet connections and the various regulations in our plethora of countries which rule it are of relevance to each one of us in different ways. Therefore, it's a topic of relevance and interest which could be discussed, and which perhaps could entertain us while we either run around dressed as turkeys, gobbling at things, or pursue the perpetual delight of The Grind.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 22 Nov 2017 18:27

Kitriana wrote:There are lots of reasons to be against net neutrality as well.
It is not as simple an issue as either side wants to present.
People should do proper research on both sides and not just listen to the fear mongering of one side.
I'm going to assume that you're merely playing Devil's Advocate here and don't actually believe that Net Neutrality is a bad thing..
Title II, though not perfect, was one of the best things to happen to the internet.
And before you complain that I haven't looked at both sides of the issue, you're wrong; I have.
The "arguments" provided by the anti-Net Neutrality side are (for the most part) nothing more than pathetic veils for corporate greed.
Why any consumer would want to do away with Internet freedom is beyond me..

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 22 Nov 2017 19:28

You assume wrong. You seem to think that the govt has only altruistic motives and behaviors in the way they will choose to regulate the internet. I think the politics of recent ... with everything coming out about NSA, etc... should scare all of us and want us to desire these devices to be free of govt regulation. I find it amazing that people are so willing to believe in the evilness of the corporations.. yet have so much faith and trust in the govt. I am not willing to do so .. and value freedom, privacy and a free market.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 22 Nov 2017 19:45

Kitriana wrote:You assume wrong. You seem to think that the govt has only altruistic motives and behaviors in the way they will choose to regulate the internet. I think the politics of recent ... with everything coming out about NSA, etc... should scare all of us and want us to desire these devices to be free of govt regulation. I find it amazing that people are so willing to believe in the evilness of the corporations.. yet have so much faith and trust in the govt. I am not willing to do so .. and value freedom, privacy and a free market.

What the?
I..
Nope..
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 22 Nov 2017 19:51

Kitriana wrote:You assume wrong. You seem to think that the govt has only altruistic motives and behaviors in the way they will choose to regulate the internet. I think the politics of recent ... with everything coming out about NSA, etc... should scare all of us and want us to desire these devices to be free of govt regulation. I find it amazing that people are so willing to believe in the evilness of the corporations.. yet have so much faith and trust in the govt. I am not willing to do so .. and value freedom, privacy and a free market.

Sorry no, i think trust is equal in government and corporations.
lack? :-)

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 30 Nov 2017 19:58

Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Luma
Adept

Post by Luma » 09 Dec 2017 04:16

My 2 cents:

I want to personally say that I am for net neutrality. I want open access to the internet without having to worry about if my view of the internet makes it harder to have access to things that my provider does not agree with. How much the national government is monitoring my internet usage is unknown, but I am inclined to place more trust in my government than a company because of it's written obligations to protect me. A company has none of these and is more likely to censor sites and media that it does not agree with by means of making it more expensive to have access to those things. I think we all want to have free and open access to our internet and don't want anyone to meddle with it.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/