Envy

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mim
Rising Hero

Envy

Post by Mim » 03 May 2019 14:38

Hello!

This 'disease' often comes up in Genesis in various subjects.

"Envy (from Latin invidia) is an emotion which "occurs when a person lacks another's superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it".
Aristotle defined envy as pain at the sight of another’s good fortune, stirred by “those who have what we ought to have
."

In my experience, envy is looked upon at as something bad.
The envious persons are not good.
Still, it seems to me, that almost everybody, in some stage of life, will feel it.

Another very intresting quote in that Wikipedia text is what Bernard Russel have said according to the text.

"Bertrand Russell said that envy was one of the most potent causes of unhappiness. Not only is the envious person rendered unhappy by his or her envy, Russell explained, but that person may also wish to inflict misfortune on others, in forms of emotional abuse and violent acts of criminality. Although envy is generally seen as something negative, Russell also believed that envy was a driving force behind the movement of economies and must be endured to achieve the "keep up with Jones" system. He believed this is what helps to maintain democracy, a system where no one can achieve more than anyone else."

I never thought about it that way myself, but found it intresting.

Fairlight
Apprentice

Re: Envy

Post by Fairlight » 03 May 2019 21:15

Well, after Bertie proved why 1+1 equals 2, he started to get illusions of grandeur. I don't trust him!!! Shoulda stayed with the maths Bertie! :D

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/