Genesis stance on black lives

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mona
Wizard

Genesis stance on black lives

Post by Mona » 10 Jun 2020 01:45

Here are my thoughts:
It is important to keep Genesis in theme. Role play and domain authenticity are important. And yet, at times these things are broken. There are Easter Egg Hunts (a holiday based on the resurrection Jesus), Christmas Events, we sometimes throw parties that celebrate people's real life birthdays, Halloween events (an RL pagan religious holiday) complete with costumes. Sometimes the line is crossed for fun. Sometimes the line is crossed when we loose a beloved player like Raffee. His statue is in the game. When I was I was in the hospital with a broken neck and fractured skull the AOP title was a running update on my condition. I got hospital phone calls from players I barely knew.

My point being: Genesis crosses the line. We cross it when it is unimportant, and also when it is a big deal for those we know and love in the game. Right now is a very important matter of human rights. It is a historic time of unrest in the USA, and the choices that are made there will affect the lives of people of color not only in the USA, but by their precedent, of peoples of color across the world, some of those people are in our game.

Martin Luther King Jr. said that those who bear witness to injustice, and stand by without speaking out, are guilty of perpetuating those injustices. I think that is why many large companies who consistently remain silent on issues, are breaking silence to stand in solidarity with black brothers and sisters. They are crossing lines and speaking out in a way that is off topic and out of theme. I think perhaps that is being done because the issue being faced by black people-- not being safe in their own homes, workplaces, towns, states-- is not a political issue, but one of basic human rights.

It feels like it is time to cross that small little line again, and be in the company of businesses like Amazon, Facebook, the YMCA, Intel, Youtube, Uber, the Gap, Levis, gaming sites like EA and Square Enix have broken silence and NOT ONLY spoken out publicly, but also donated large sums to Black Lives Matter, to the NAACP, to Civil Rights Legal Defense Funds, and the like. Because this is not a political issue, but one of human rights.

It's my hope that Genesis, a home that I have always been proud of, will choose to stand with our black community. I've been thinking about what that may look like, and I have a few ideas :

We could temporarily change the slogan on the opening scroll above the castle from "The Original LPmud" to "In solidarity: BLACK LIVES MATTER"

We could also have a fun pin for players to wear that has a few emotes and changes their leaving and arriving messages "Player arrives wearing a "BLACK LIVES MATTER" pin on his_her chest."

We could take donations for Black Lives Matter, or the NAACP, of the like.

I am willing to help where I can, and also betting that with all our creative talent we can find many beautiful ways to engage and contribute support to the black community.

Mona of Lothlorien

Okotok
Wanderer

Re: Genesis stance on black lives

Post by Okotok » 10 Jun 2020 05:58

Sounds great!

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 10 Jun 2020 09:18

If this does get implemented, could we also include other issues such as Hong Kong, Israel/Palestina, the War in Donbass, the political status of Puerto Rico, bias against refugees in Europe, treatment of the Uyghurs in China, the conflict of Muslim vs Hindus in India, and the tyranny against Venezuelans?

Not to diminish one very recognizable and real issue, but the MUD being represented by various cultures I would think it fair to give a voice of expression to them all equally.
Last edited by Dhez on 10 Jun 2020 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 10 Jun 2020 09:21

As noble an idea I think it is and no matter how good the intentions behind it are I do not think politics have a place in Genesis. Many play the game as an escape from how the world is on fire. I do not know if a reminder of that has a place in the escapist fantasy world of Genesis.

Again, as noble an idea it is and as good intentioned I don't know if Genesis is the place for it.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 10 Jun 2020 10:14

Dhez wrote:
10 Jun 2020 09:18
If this does get implemented, could we also include other issues such as Hong Kong, Israel/Palestina, the War in Donbass, the political status of Puerto Rico, bias against refugees in Europe, treatment of the Uyghurs in China, the conflict of Muslim vs Hindus in India, and the tyranny against Venezuelans?

Not to diminish one very recognizable and real issue, but the MUD being represented by various cultures I would think it fair to give a voice of expression to them all equally.
Not to mention the persecution and systematic murder of white farmers in south africa.
How about we not do this and help glorify the death of a criminal that robbed a pregnant blck woman at gunpoint, putting a pistol to her belly in the process?

There are so many injustices in the world and picking this particular one regardless of how relevant is just being hypocrites.
More so I actually agree with Ody here.
Regardless of intention, Genesis is not the media to promote such things.
Have your own personal opinions about it but don't force it on everyone.

Moderator: Part of your post has been moderated for vilating our rule about being respectful to each other.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 10 Jun 2020 12:14

#BlackLivesMatter

or you're a racist.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 10 Jun 2020 13:07

Mersereau wrote:
10 Jun 2020 12:14
#BlackLivesMatter

or you're a racist.

:lol: ;)

Leti
Beginner

Post by Leti » 10 Jun 2020 13:26

Mersereau wrote:
10 Jun 2020 12:14
#BlackLivesMatter

or you're a racist.
Or trash :<

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 10 Jun 2020 13:47

#BlackLivesMatter

Where to begin..
Really funny how the organization suddenly appears when there is attention to be had.
When people get an excuse to riot and ruin peoples lives.
Yet they are never seen or heard of when it comes to other important issues that does not give as much clout or spark as much outrage.
Though rioting makes perfect sense these days in the era of COVID, putting even more lives at risk for the sake of what??
Ruining other people(black peoples) livelyhood?
Getting an excuse to shoot a black old retired police officer for defending his friends shop, just so they could get a couple of more extra TV's, leaving him to bleed out on the pavement.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 10 Jun 2020 14:15

Personally I obviously feel that everyone should be treated the same regardless of skin color, and that any other opinion is completely ridiculous. It's insane that we even have to discuss this, but sadly that's how the world looks.

That said, it is my strong belief that Genesis should be a place where people can go to escape real life, and that we as a game should not take a stance on any sort of political questions. While I totally understand why you think we should, and that it is a hot topic in the US right now, there are so many other big issues in the world as well. What about gender inequalities? LGBT rights? Terrorism? Genocide? Abortion? Like Ody said, Genesis is about escaping reality, and that's how it should stay.

And yes, sometimes we do cross that line. We honor players who pass away iRL with a statue, which I think is a beautiful thing to do, and something completely different compared to taking a stance on political questions or campaigns. It's about remembering a member of our community, and a way to ensure their memory lives on for as long as Genesis exists.

About our events, sure, we sometimes run events inspired by real-life holidays, but I think that too is very different compared to taking a stance for or against a political question. If we open that can, we can never close it again. We would have a banner of some sort on the Genesis login screen at all times, or several. A bunch of NPCs walking around in Sparkle in support of X, Y and Z, and every player has a collection of pins showing they support all sorts of things. And... who decides which of all the important topics in the world we should offially support, and which ones we should ignore?

Genesis allows anyone to play and we treat you the same regardless of your religion, gender, age, nationality, sexual preference, skin color, body type, etc. We don't care the slightest who you are in real life and we invite you to escape that real life for a while. Be yourself, or be someone else. Your call, either way, we welcome you - whoever you are.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/