The Name of the Wind

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amberlee
Myth

Re: The Name of the Wind

Post by Amberlee » 24 Mar 2010 01:35

Have to agree with Ilrahil here.
But i also enjoy "Starlight and Shadows" to great lengths.
I continue to be drawn in by Elaine Cunningham's writing.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 24 Mar 2010 04:57

amberlee wrote:Have to agree with Ilrahil here.
But i also enjoy "Starlight and Shadows" to great lengths.
I continue to be drawn in by Elaine Cunningham's writing.
I find under a strange circumstance that you have been agreeing with me quite more than usual lately :D

Who would have ever thought it.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 24 Mar 2010 05:40

Well you have a good sense of literature :lol:
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 24 Mar 2010 06:36

Windemere wrote:Just in response to what you said about Salvatore...his books were about Drizzt. Wulfgar was a secondary character. It only makes sense, then, to keep the primary character of whom you are telling all these stories alive.

Second, keep reading Drizzt, you'll find something quite surprising about Wulfgar in a later book.

Windemere
Well, the way Wulfgar got all the attention in the first book (being adopted by the dwarf, courting the dwarf's human girl, even getting a special warhammer forged by him, etc) led me to think the story would develop on top of him and that Drizzt was to be kept as Aragon in Middle Earth, an important and powerful character but just another token in a more complex world. Kind of disappointed to think a whole realm develops on a single character.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 24 Mar 2010 10:16

Oh Rhynox, Amberlee, and Ilrahil... :)

Rhynox, the forgotten realm series of books that deal with Drizzt are all good. The Dark Elf trilogy was great and cemented a character that is more memorable than Raistlin, Tanis, or Eragon. In the several books that came after the DE trilogy, Wulfgar goes through some crazy sh*t and Drizzt gets a bit of an upgrade. The development of Jarlaxle, breagen' dearth (sp?), the drow, orc, and dwarven cultures are all played out in a very good story. Granted, some books were subpar, the ghost king is far from. I believe it to be Salvatore's BEST work in a long long time. I, as well, thought Drizzt was unkillable or at his most powerful, yet his story in this particular book makes Goku look like a rising hero. Artemis is still alive and we eagerly await a rematch of the two. I would love to see Artemis become an NPC in faerun. I'd learn whatever code just to work on the realm myself.

As for the rest of the writers, all I can say is that I feel their work is above average at best. I love whoever that guy who writes about Elminster. But the technique and use of the English languate in this latest 732 page fanatsy book I just read is truly up there with LOTR. There is a parcity of unique fantasy writing these days and Patrick Rothfuss and his book, The Name of the Wind, fill that void.

Wiess and Hickman set the standard for modern fantasy writing.
Salvatore took it up a notch with his style of describing a million different sounds of parrying swords, axes that go thud, and how different D&D classes would fight one another. (Anyone else here want to see Drizzt vs. that crazy monk that bound Entreri? lol)
P. Rothfuss, for me, has taken it a step further and never have I finished a 700+ page book full of top tier vocabulary in a little over three days.

I'm wondering if we could start a forgotten realms discussion thread. It' still my favorite realm! Is it too much to wish for Elminster and Drizzt to meet? Granted El is much much older, but what upgrades could he bring to the dark elf? Hmm...

-B

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Good Fantasy Authors

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 24 Mar 2010 13:38

Here are the authors I enjoyed the most.

Tolkien - My first fantasy favourite and still great.
Robin Hobb - Only quite recently discovered Hobb and was very pleased to find such fantastic books I had yet to read.
George RR Martin - Firm favourite of many, enjoyed the story threads and characters.
David Gemmell - Quite short books but amazing characters
Guy Gavriel Kay - Modern people in fantasy setting, well written and quite dark.
Steven Erikson - Epic, Awesome, Original, Blows most others away
Stan Nicholls - Orcs as the main chars, Read it if you play a gobbo.
Joe Abercrombie - Liked Before they were hanged a lot.
Anne Rice - Enjoyed the vamp chronicles greatly.

Also enjoyed
Robert Jordan - Another favourite of many people, took a couple of books for him to find his feet and was too reluctant to loose main chars.

I was disappointed with
David Eddings - Far too predictable

I have a lot of Dragonlance books and enjoyed them okay.
I had been to the places in Genesis before so enjoyed that aspect greatly.
But the characters seem a little shallow and plot formulaic at times.

Here is my virtual bookshelf, a bit out of date.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/2460609
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 24 Mar 2010 14:27

Bromen.
Read The War of the Spider Queen books :p

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 24 Mar 2010 19:55

I long awaited the opening of Faerun and was fairly disappointed when it opened.

No Icewind Dale, No Waterdeep, No developed Underdark with at least Menzoberranzan or Ched Nesad, No Calimport, No Mithril Hall. Pretty much nothing, No Mithril Hall.

FR has the most developed magical items of any fantasy book I have read and there is hardly anything worth using compared to the rest of the game in Faerun.
The combat descriptions of the orcs and shades were exact copy/pastes of the shire NPC orcs, and the entrance to the underdark was a copy and paste off of Kabal's entrance to the underdark.

No big name NPC's even unkillable ones existed like Drizzt, Entreri, Lady Alustriel.

Would be awesome tp be able to get gear like Twinkle, or a nasty five headed snake whip or tentacle rod, or Wulfgar's hammer, or Taumaril (Cattie-Brie's bow). Even drow priestesses should be extremely hard to kill like perhaps Matron Baenrae. But the reward would be a powerful set of spell scrolls or healing potions as drow priestesses are prone to carry.

Also for those unarmed users Belwar Dissengulp's enchanted hammer and pickaxe hands that he activates using the word "Bivrip" could be an awesome unarmed combat aid and worth the not using shields if you have them.

Phew guess I got off topic, but still so much more could have been developed.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 24 Mar 2010 22:10

Like i said in another thread Ilrahil.
Faerun has such an incredible potensial.
But its wasted like it is now..
I would wiz and code it myself but as i discovered years ago.. i completely suck at coding :p
How about you Ilrahil? :D

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 24 Mar 2010 22:56

Meh coding I can do, but not something I want to do or have really had any desire to do in Genesis. I enjoy the mortal aspect to much, and would prefer if I return to keep playing in the mortal form.

Unfortunate though. Being as its one of if not the most developed areas from direct lore that exists in the game it could be so much better.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/