The Name of the Wind

Anything that doesn't fit in the other forums, feel free to throw this way. Silly fun things encouraged!

Moderator: Hektor

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Bromen
Champion

The Name of the Wind

Post by Bromen » 20 Mar 2010 23:54

Everyone should read this book! I think it's where Draugor got his name from lol.

-B

Draugor

Re: The Name of the Wind

Post by Draugor » 21 Mar 2010 02:41

bromen wrote:Everyone should read this book! I think it's where Draugor got his name from lol.

-B

The what now? I got the name from my own imagination :P Suppose I could read it tho :D If its any good

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 21 Mar 2010 04:43

You're mentioned in it as some sort of Demon. The author writes better than Weiss, Hickman, or Greenwood. The first few chapters are slow (like any fantasy book starts) but when you get into it, you honestly find yourself laughing out loud and a wee bit emotional.

I'd rate this book right underneath LoTR and I'm only halfway through lol

-B

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 22 Mar 2010 20:03

Is writing better than Weiss and Hickman really that meaningful an accomplishment? ;-)

Okay, here come the barbs from the Dragonlance fans. But ... seriously ... fun fantasy, sure. Good writing? Uhhhhhh ...

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 22 Mar 2010 23:01

I would say their writing greatly improved from the Original Chronicles to the Lost chronicles that were just released. But there are much better Dragonlance writers out there than Weis and HickmanI will agree with you on that Gorbie.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 23 Mar 2010 05:46

For good fantasy writing i would have to say Elaine Cunningham, Lisa Smedman, Rickard Baker, Thomas M Reid, Richard Lee Byers, Phillip Athans and of cource.. R.A Salvatore..
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 23 Mar 2010 06:31

I am not saying they are very good writers, but they are also limited in the scope (D&D sets the limits). I prefer Chris Pierson, his Spirit of the Wind is really well written, and shows he understands the spirit of the kenders (the setting is really powerful too, having the kenders massively feel fear for the first time). And his Kingpriest Trilogy is the best written (personally) trilogy in Dragonlance. He greatly surpasses W&H.

I think Salvatore had the same problem as W&H: they rolled a hero (Wulfgar and Tanis respectively) but the public preferred the one with the dark side (Drizzt and Raistlin). In the case of Salvatore he killed his unwanted hero, in the case of W&H they killed him some time later. However, whereas W&H killed Raistlin (even though he returned a few times) and let the story continue with the original heroes' sons, Salvatore is too afraid of killing Drizzt. I only read the first two trilogies (I really appreciate the Dark Elf one) but checking Wikipedia I find that the latest book he wrote (The Ghost King, 2009-10 I think) Drizzt is still there. I wonder if Artemis Entreri is still alive?

Reminds me of Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragon Ball. His main characters (Goku) grew so strong in power that he couldn't find a way to make stories interesting as he was so powerful he could destroy a planet with just one attack.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 23 Mar 2010 14:44

Just in response to what you said about Salvatore...his books were about Drizzt. Wulfgar was a secondary character. It only makes sense, then, to keep the primary character of whom you are telling all these stories alive.

Second, keep reading Drizzt, you'll find something quite surprising about Wulfgar in a later book.

Windemere

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 23 Mar 2010 17:57

bromen wrote:You're mentioned in it as some sort of Demon.

-B
Its oddly fitting :P

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 23 Mar 2010 21:21

In my opinion Best set of books for Forgotten Realms was "War of the Spider Queen." I've reread the books in it probably 3-4 times and each time they still snag me in. It has great fighting, great drow backstory and culture, and the magic in it is phenomenally well done.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/