Anti-botting Turing test

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Tapakah
Wizard

Re: Anti-botting Turing test

Post by Tapakah » 08 Aug 2010 05:25

I like Rhynox idea, and we actually already have an implementation of this in the game...

T.
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 12 Aug 2010 14:12

If someone bots and get caught, summon them to a room, they solve a random problem. They get transfered back to their original spot or can leave enter light and end up in Sparkle church.

If they fail within a timeframe of X minutes, forcequit them and steal their gear. Next time kill them and steal their gear. Without recovery exp. 3rd time. 2 deaths without recovery exp. And so on.
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 12 Aug 2010 15:56

Someone reports you, because he thinks you might be a bot. (But you are not!)
And you land in some place solving a problem? Hmmm. That seems to me a bit too much.

Primum non nocere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

I am all for hunting bots, but please make sure not to scare away players who are NOT bots.
I fear that the anti-bot war might become much more annoying then bots.

Velicus
Apprentice

Post by Velicus » 12 Aug 2010 16:42

Unfortunately, messages in Genesis are predictable enough that if you send a client something new/unexpected, it can be programmed to alert the player. It would not surprise me if some of the more notorious bots use this method to avoid ever getting caught. The only thing I can think of to defeat this is to add more randomness to game messages and continuously change the messages/patterns used to test the player. Probably not a simple task.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 12 Aug 2010 18:26

Of course, but we need to know the player is around. The warning could also be useful for someone who has been paying attention but went to the bathroom and suddenly got the antibot trick triggered on him, right? Unless you want people to be paying attention at all times (as in, typing "slash right arm with long narrow knife") you will have people who are very attentive, and people who are somewhat less attentive. We try to change the behaviour of those who leave the bot run for hours around instead.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 12 Aug 2010 20:28

how about killing off toons that have an average reaction time of .0001 seconds over the period of 30 minutes?

bot at your own discretion lol

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 14 Aug 2010 03:29

I think that any test message automatically sent out by script could be altered by an administrator every week manually to always ensure a unique and unpredictable content.

The content itself needs to be easily solvable and easily detectable within combat spam to ensure no erroneous punishments.

But I think it should definitely be quite possible to implement a functioning and fair bot-zapping system using such a method.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 14 Aug 2010 03:59

The first times it doesn't even need to zap the characters, just drop all his equipment in the room and put him in a prison (like the one in Calia or Sparkle). Once the system has been tried and determined to be just, death could be applied.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 14 Aug 2010 10:59

Rhynox wrote:The first times it doesn't even need to zap the characters, just drop all his equipment in the room and put him in a prison (like the one in Calia or Sparkle). Once the system has been tried and determined to be just, death could be applied.
I'd prefer if the culprit would be moved to the NIM game room. Let the bastard work to be able to return to the society.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 14 Aug 2010 12:32

Rhaegar wrote:
Rhynox wrote:The first times it doesn't even need to zap the characters, just drop all his equipment in the room and put him in a prison (like the one in Calia or Sparkle). Once the system has been tried and determined to be just, death could be applied.
I'd prefer if the culprit would be moved to the NIM game room. Let the bastard work to be able to return to the society.
Teh Horrors! :D
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/