Changeling / Shapeshifters

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
petros
Site Admin

Changeling / Shapeshifters

Post by petros » 25 Apr 2012 10:37

I've always loved the idea of shapeshifters. The idea of such a guild would be that someone in the guild would not be able to wear any armors or wield any weapons. All of their power comes from the forms that they're able to take, whether it be a small rodent, a dracolich (a personal favorite of mine), a frost giant, or an otyugh. Each form would come with its own strengths and weaknesses and attack specials. You gain forms by studying or learning them as you advance in your experience in the guild.

Any thoughts or feedback on this? For those of you who always worry about new guilds, don't worry - this isn't going to get done anytime soon - at least not before the magic recodes are completed. But I thought it'd be a fun thought experiment to see people's level of interest.

Laurel

Re: Changeling / Shapeshifters

Post by Laurel » 25 Apr 2012 11:14

Ou yeah - please! Twice!

Each race could have an animal they would change into?
Hobbits - wolves/panthers - quick in attack and dodge, but hardly able to tank.
Dwarves - bears - tought and hard hitting, but slow.
Goblins - wolverines/lions.
etc.

No weapons, armours. Just rings, necklaces and ... cloaks? I mean - a wolf could wear a wolf pelt, or? Combat-wise - something between ogres and monks.

If combined with laymans - lay monks and KoT could shift into dragons maybe?

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 25 Apr 2012 11:37

Adorable idea, I like it.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 25 Apr 2012 12:20

Just to give you a perspective from other MUD, werewolves:

- 3 forms: base, wolf, and combat form/werewolf in most general sense (crinos if anyone played World of Darkness)
- different forms giving different bonuses: wolf = sneak, hide, tracking, awareness and such, werewolf = combat, all forms having different special attacks but sharing the "rage" special ability that improved quickness and some stats I believe
- staying in any form other than base constantly draining mana and you needed mana to change forms (so you could get stuck as a wolf and wouldn't be able to board ships, carry any equipment, speak and so on), although I believe there was a way to change back somehow even without mana but it left you severely weakened for quite a bit
- guild occupying all 3 slots (obviously)
- position in guild (and thus training, specials and so on) reliant primarily on your age (time playing spent in the guild) as a werewolf, guildexp was used primarily for specials, but you couldn't train those without proper age. I believe it took around 40 days of age in the guild to be able to max all of the skills

Not sure if Petros is speaking about something of the sort, but it definitely was an interesting concept.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 25 Apr 2012 14:37

This is possibly something that could convince me to leave my beloved Rangers :O
Though the possibility is even higher if you follow Zhar's guidelines..
World of Darkness inspired <3
btw Zhar.. check out stuff around the comming MMO World of Darkness Online ;)
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 25 Apr 2012 15:29

There was a druid guild that Goldberry had been working on in Terel located in Elnoven with this idea in mind.. I know GB started some code work towards making shapeshifting happen as from what I understood mudlib needed to be adjusted.. I'm not sure whatever happened to it.. but I had always loved the idea. I'm not sure whats left of the code if anything.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Ilrahil
Beginner

Post by Ilrahil » 25 Apr 2012 16:44

I know for a fact some of that code still exists Kit. I think Lilith had looked through Terel archives and was toying with the idea. Reopening Elnoven of course had to come first. Another tidbit of code that for sure exists as Kitiara's ring used to teleport people there.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 25 Apr 2012 16:45

Yup, there have been multiple efforts at shapeshifting over the years, the latest being Eowul in Gondor. The concept is very similar to those described by others above. My thinking in more about a progression of forms as you gain in guild age and experience. There would be forms that would focus on defense, some that focus on offense, some that have a good mix between the two. I like the idea of having a guru quest that would reveal a secret form (like dracolich) that is simply cool, but also deadly with a breath weapon.

For example, this would be a sample progression:
rat - very dextrous, low constitution, bite special
spider - very dextrous, bite special + poison
bear - great strength, good constitution, maul + bite special
giant - great strength, good constitution, low dex, can wield weapons (kinda like ogres)
hydra - regeneration capabilities
dragon - pretty good stats all around, deadly breath special

There would be some mix of consuming mana in both the maintaining of the form and other aspects, etc. All aspects of the shape shifted body would be that of the actual form (stats, AC, attacks, etc).

I'm glad there's some excitement. Keep those ideas and thoughts coming. Love to hear what else people have to say.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 25 Apr 2012 16:49

So we've decided to open atleast 2 new guilds now and leave the un-recoded ones to rot? I am just wondering.

The idea is damn nice I agree however, didnt the wizards say 100 times before that we dont need more guilds? I'd say we need more layman guilds but not OCC ones

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 25 Apr 2012 16:55

Draugor wrote:So we've decided to open atleast 2 new guilds now and leave the un-recoded ones to rot? I am just wondering.

The idea is damn nice I agree however, didnt the wizards say 100 times before that we dont need more guilds? I'd say we need more layman guilds but not OCC ones
I anticipated this comment! :D Like I said before, it's just a thought experiment mainly for gauging interest and eventual implementation down the line. Here's my disclaimer again.
petros wrote:Any thoughts or feedback on this? For those of you who always worry about new guilds, don't worry - this isn't going to get done anytime soon - at least not before the magic recodes are completed. But I thought it'd be a fun thought experiment to see people's level of interest.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/