Crafting - fishing and hunting

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

Crafting - fishing and hunting

Post by Zhar » 10 Jun 2014 09:26

I'm working on some tools to implement more non-combat forms of entertainment/profit. Please post your ideas and suggestions here.

Currently in works for hunting:

option A (easier to implement)
  • hunting skill will be used to cut skin and meat from animal corpses
  • higher skill means wider range of animals you can cut skins from
  • tanners and butchers to buy skins and meat from you
  • possibly in the future some form of tailor or other shop where you can bring your skin and get nice, custom things from it (packs, clothing, cloaks etc.).
option B (harder to implement)
  • hunting taking more time, where you'll be able to set snares and check them out later
  • your skill, location, time of year etc. will depend on what you find in your snares
  • apart from that it's as above
In short, either you simply kill animals that run around or you set the snares and they get spawned (dead) according to your skill, obviously, option B won't provide for some high-end possibilities like taking a hide off of unicorn's back or doing something with dragon skins. Personally I think that option 1 would be better since it would be much faster to put into the game and killing animals could even provide some small exp for smaller chars in addition to moneymaking.

Not sure about fishing yet.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Keltar
Wanderer

Re: Crafting - fishing and hunting

Post by Keltar » 10 Jun 2014 18:08

Zhar wrote:I'm working on some tools to implement more non-combat forms of entertainment/profit. Please post your ideas and suggestions here.

Currently in works for hunting:

option A (easier to implement)
  • tanners and butchers to buy skins and meat from you
  • possibly in the future some form of tailor or other shop where you can bring your skin and get nice, custom things from it (packs, clothing, cloaks etc.).
There is a tanner in Cadu who buys skins and makes custom items from them, I think. That could be possibly improved upon ?

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 11 Jun 2014 14:13

I'll take a look at that.

Habiki
Adept

Post by Habiki » 11 Jun 2014 16:55

Seems like a good idea for newbies to make money, assuming they can skin small creatures with a low skill level so they don't need to train it much. There may need to be a tanner placed around Sparkle and / or the tutorial.

*Habiki wears his small squirrel cape*

Caw
Beginner

Post by Caw » 11 Jun 2014 18:13

I like it, and I think I would prefer to see options A personally.

Not only could we have a vendor that could make custom items from the pelts but perhaps we could also use them to customize gear. For example armour could be given a fur/leather lining i.e. ancient mithril chainmail lined with unicorn leather.

Maybe even different furs/leathers could give additional resists to armours. Though thats probably a much bigger can of worms.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 11 Jun 2014 19:02

Hunting over time: already implemented in the game. 1 guild has it.
Fur-lined armours: already implemented in the game. Verify yourself if it gives any resists.

Titan

Post by Avatar » 19 Jun 2014 12:03

Why not make it possible for the hunter to customize existing armours as well?

Fur-lined Dragonscale etc.

Just a thought
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 19 Jun 2014 23:02

avatar wrote:Why not make it possible for the hunter to customize existing armours as well?

Fur-lined Dragonscale etc.

Just a thought
I don't think it's a good idea. By providing more options for one 'class' we dilute it and it begins to lose the original purpose. Instead we could implement a tailor/clothier sort of craft in the future, which I think would be preferable.

In general, I'd like to one day (if time and skill allow) revamp all the crafting guilds so that each is very specialized and there's a web of connections between them (miners gathering ore for smiths, herbalists herbs for alchemists, enchanters or whatever using smith-forged items and alchemist potions to create magic items etc.).

Einar
Apprentice

Post by Einar » 10 Oct 2014 15:22

Zhar wrote:
What if we would go a one step further from there and depending on quality of skin you could get items which actually gives some substantial bonuses in the game (for example boosting a skill by 5% as imbuements do). Quality of skin would depend on animal you've hunted and that would depend on your skill and effort. From certain types of skin we would be able to make/order for example gloves (better grip), boots (you tire a bit less than walking barefoot), leather for hilt to improve grip and chance to hit, bigger than average backpacks, waterbags etc. If we would like to push it even further we could remove such items from shops so if anyone would like to have saddle, backpack would have to buy skins and place the order with tanner.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 12 Oct 2014 00:52

Well, after a long hiatus and IRL business I think I'll be slowly getting around this again. Einar's suggestion is nice, but for that we would have to revamp the entire system totally so that smiths could create some magic items too. For starters I believe that swag will be all you get - special clothing that stays with you forever (or until someone takes it off your dead body) and giving you bragging rights. It's not often that you see people running around with unicorn-skin gloves ;)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/