Website update - Help needed

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Website update - Help needed

Post by Cherek » 26 Oct 2014 06:25

Okay,

Here's what I got so far. As you can see it's still very much work in progress. Feel free to add / correct things. At the bottom are also a bunch of events that needs to be dated. So yeah... HELP ME!:)

Genesis, The Original LPMud, is founded by a group of people from The Chalmers University of Gothenburg, Sweden, and it's Computer Society CD.

Lars Pensjö, the creator of LP MUD system frequently visits Genesis in the early years. His legacy is still remembered by a permanent role in the Genesis death sequence all players see when their characters die.

The first great guild war breaks out between the Hellfire and the Bath guilds.

The game is updated from 2.4.5 LPMud to 3.0 CDMud.

The first graphical massively multiplayer online games are released. However due to technical limitations, and the Internet still being in its infancy, text MUDs will remain on the MMO throne for a years, and Genesis will become one of the most popular and biggest online text worlds.

The first in game wedding takes place between Rea and Kithkanan. Unfortunately so many people had gathered in one room Genesis kept crashing during the ceremony.

The first commercial 3D MMORPGs are released, but they suffer from the hardware limitations of the time and still cannot compete with most of the text based MUDs in terms of game design.

The dreaded queue. Genesis population reaches it’s peak during the mid and late 90s with over 100 players online at the same time. Unfortunately, even though it’s “only” text, the server is still unable to handle the load of so many connections at the same time. To keep the game playable a queue to enter the game is introduced during peak hours. Players sometimes patiently waited for hours to play, and more often than not screamed in frustration when their modems disconnected and they lost their place in the queue.

The Mystics guild closes.

Arguably the greatest conflict in Genesis history breaks out. After a few skirmishes where both sides blame each other for provoking the fights, war is declared between the Army of Angmar guild and the Alliance of Elnoven, consisting of the Ranger, Calian and Knights guild. However, both sides form alliances with players from other guilds, and after a while the majority of the population is involved in one way or another. The war lasts almost five months leaving countless of deaths on both sides. The Army of Angmar guild is closed by a controversial decision by the Administration of the game, and the Alliance declares itself the winner after counting kills on both sides. The former Angmar members strongly disagree. A homepage was created by the Alliance site to keep track of news and deaths during the war, and it can still be found here: http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/labyrinth/4685/

The war between the Alliance and Angmar was the ultimate proof the game badly needed a new server since the huge battles caused LAG that could last for minutes. (Remember this was long before lightning quick cable Internet). Players and wizards all gathered money to purchase new hardware for the game. In total EUR 5086 (USD 5595) was gathered and everyone who donated received an ingame token as reward for their assistance. The new server is a success and the queue to play is no more, and LAG is greatly reduced for most players.

The biggest Genesis RL party to date is held in Sundsvall, Sweden and over 100 players from all over Europe and even some players from the US come to visit. Parties are held during the entire 90s and early 2000s in many different locations all over the world, and annual parties are being held in Poland, Denmark and Sweden.

The domain Emerald is closed, and some of the more iconic quests and NPCs are now history.

The Dragonarmies of Ansalon are created to replace the closed Army of Angmar guild. Many former Angmar members joins and takes up the fight against the Alliance once again, resulting in a long period of minor skirmishes, full war and uncertain peace treaties.

The MMORPG EverQuest is released, becoming once of the first seriously successful graphical MMORPGs. The game was in many ways quite similar to Genesis and many Genesis players moved on to play EverQuest, causing a drop in population for Genesis and text games in general.

The "restrict" command is introduced that lets people ban themselves from playing the game for a predetermined set of time. Genesis addiction can actually be a serious issue. Yes really. For example, at one school in Sweden about 80% of those who started playing Genesis were forced to redo an entire year in school because of all the time spent in the computer lab playing Genesis instead of studying.

Unique items are introduced in Genesis, meaning some especially good items can only be exist in a preset number of copies and no new ones will spawn until a previous copy has been lost or broken.

Good news for the pacifists out there. Searching for herbs now gives experience, making it theoretically possible to reach Champion (and leaer Myth) level without killing a single thing. It'll take forever though, but still.

Genesis has always been a place of mystery where very little is known by the mortals. For example most of the things you see in the world is represented by text rather than numbers. You're "strong", instead of having a strength of "20". There used to exist some numerical values in the game though, however in the summer of 2000 all numerical values where removed from the game, and none has been added since. Do you like to figure things out yourself instead of having everything handed to you? Then this is the game for you!

A few notable changed to the game mechanics where made. The penalty for dying was lowered significantly, an experience bonus for team was added, the extreme and very lethal critical hits that could take you from hurt to death in one blow were removed.

After a successful trial period in Gondor, the wizard Stern is appointed "Arch of Events" to develop a system for game wide events. Something that will become a huge success.

The Egg Fight / Egg Hunt event becomes the first global Genesis event. In short you would go looking for eggs hidden around the realms and you could then throw eggs at others. Rewards were given out for the top players in different categories. The overall winner, and the first event winner ever was Chade who finished fifth in the egg hunt category and first in the egg fight category, which combined gave the most points. The first event was a big success and many more followed and they are still very popular. Events come in many different shapes and forms, all from hunting christmas ham in december, to trading of stamps or growing a and caring for a guild-tree, and even portry contests! A museum is later opened in Sparkle where players can relive and remember old events. Usually a number of events takes place each year, where some are reruns of popular events, and sometimes completely new ones are created.

A group of wizards steal Genesis software and code to start their own Genesis clone MUD - Exodus. Drama and chaos ensues, eventually Genesis remains strong and the hype around Exodus dies down and so does the "rebel" MUD.

New mortal titles are introduced, and after a period of tweaking eventually became the titles we have today, from novice to myth.

Once again the game was in dire need of new hardware. The players of Genesis answered to the call and donated EUR 2793 for a server upgrade.

World of Warcraft is released, and people all over the world are introduced to the world of massive multiplayer online gaming. Something we in Genesis already have enjoyed for over 15 years. Many text based MUDs shut their doors due to lack of players and developers. Genesis population is a third of what it once was, but the core population remains fairly stable and the game continues to be developed. Compared to most text games, Genesis remains strong.

The Tutorial Area is opened to make it easier for new players to learn how to play the game.

The newbie pin and ntell chatline is introduced to assist new players.

Playing rankings are introduced on the webpage. Finally it's possible to know who's the biggest and baddest players out there.

Death recovery is introduced.

Herbs can no longer be rapidly consumed.

Gnomes of Genesis now offer gem deposit.

You no longer have to become a wizard with your main character.

The who lists displays people you have not previously met.

Wednesday market quest opens, the first repeating quest. Later followed by the chef's friday quest.

Auction house opens.

Quest orbs are introduced.

Dexterity is no longer king of the stats. It used to be the most important stat for combat was dexterity, and strength was just used to check how much you could carry. From now strength is used to calculate how hard you hit.

The legendary army of Angmar reopens.

Genesis ShipLInes Company takes over many previously independent ship lines.. Ship lines are reworked so most inter domain travel goes though Sparkle. One of the steps taken to make Sparkle the hub of Genesis. You can still see where some of the old ship lines used to traffic in the game in the form of signs on discontinued piers.

Work begins on "New Sparkle".

The official Genesis Forums are opened by the Genesis Administration.

Global block is introduced.

The magic map is introduced.

The Free Mercenary Guild opens in Sparkle, replacing the old Mercenary Guild.

Saving racks are introduced.

Academy of Elemental Arts opens.

Vampires and Bloodguard closes.

The Genesis server moves from Chalmers University in Gothenburg Sweden, where it has been from the start, to Isreal.

The Genesis webpage is redesigned, and also provides a new official Genesis client allowing players to access the game through a browser.

The game moves back to Sweden after a year in Israel.

Imbuements are introduced.

The Memorial Garden in Sparkle is opened. Here, people are allowed to grieve and fondly remember fellow players who has passed away in real life.

The Calian guild, and soon after the Knights of Solamnia leaves the Alliance of Elnoven, ending an alliance that lasted for over two decades.

The 25th anniversary of Genesis! One of the oldest online computer games still in existence. To celebrate 25 years a “relaunch” of the game is planned, with focused advertising, and the goal to reach over 100 players online once again.

Unknown date, help needed to date the following events:

90s
The Balrog of Moria, the greatest NPC in Genesis is slain for the first time. Even decades later, the Balrog remains the ultimate foe in the game and when someones do manage to slay him it’s always big news. The player Bran dealt the killing blow in what was, and always have been since, a huge team effort.

The first Scavenger Hunt is held. A very popular annual event where players of the realms compete to find things on a long list of items. Whoever finds the most unique item wins. And it's not easy. The world of Genesis is huge and consists of thousands of different items.

One of the most legendary quests in Genesis is opened, the Zodiac quest, consisting of seven individual parts and a massive reward in quest experience as well as one of the most iconic quest items in Genesis, the Zodiac gem.

The Vampires, one of the most loved and hated guilds of Genesis, opens for the first time. The Coven has always been a constant source of intrigue, drama and for many - terror.

The first Arena Tournament is held.

The first wiz-day. Wizard were allowed to possess avatars, and hunt the mortal world. Huge world wide battles between mortals and wizard avatar would last for a couples of days, and then everyone was eager to see the score and all the kill statistics.

The first official Genesis homepage is opened.

Marriages between characters in the game is fairly common in Genesis, but during the years many players have also met on Genesis and then moved to become very good friends or couples in real life, and in ???? X and Y become the first players who met on Genesis and then got married iRL.

00s
Eden Genesis forum is opened by a group of players, and quickly becomes the place on the Internet for Genesis players to gather, discuss and chat. Other similar forums and chat rooms open, and most eventually becomes quite controversial due to their unmoderated nature, leading to all sorts of drama, and player deletions.

Vampires hunt the realms once again, causing several conflicts involving a large portion of the population. Even other evil aligned guilds take up the fight against the vampire threat. After much controversy and attempt to recode and rebalance the guild, the vampire guild is eventually closed. Again.

The Spirit Circle of Psuchae opens it’s doors. A guild with the sole purpose of fighting the undead. The Circle soon becomes involved in wars with both the undead guilds, the Vampires and the Morgul Mages.

10s
The Genesis Facebook group is created, and many current and previous players join to discuss the state of the game and share old memories.

The official Genesis Client is introduced, making the need for a complex MUD client to play uneccesary. Being able to play through a web browser on any operating system makes the game much more accessible.

The Genesis Client becomes a Facebook App and Genesis can now be played both on the official homepage and on Facebook.

Genesis is published on the Chrome Web Store.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 26 Oct 2014 13:42

FANTASTIC work, Cherek! This is really great stuff.

I'll try to think of some more specifics and what I remember in addition to this when I get some free time.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 26 Oct 2014 17:15

I think some famous player action should be mentioned. The assassination of Iliana for example and maybe if anyone remember any big bloodbaths with a lot of player killed etc.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 26 Oct 2014 21:03

arcon wrote:I think some famous player action should be mentioned. The assassination of Iliana for example and maybe if anyone remember any big bloodbaths with a lot of player killed etc.
Yeah Iliana's death has been mentioned by quite a few on the FB page too. I remember it as a legendary event as well. Not sure how many player related events there are room for though, but keep'em coming and we'll see what I'll include in the final version.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 27 Oct 2014 02:49

gorboth wrote:FANTASTIC work, Cherek! This is really great stuff.

I'll try to think of some more specifics and what I remember in addition to this when I get some free time.

G.
Thanks Gorboth. If you can dig up common board notes from pre -99 that would be really helpful!

That, and some nice player help on FB, got me this far... but still a bit to go.:)

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 27 Oct 2014 15:50

you need to add the vamp-mystic wars. Elnoven was afterall a Mystic stronghold.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 27 Oct 2014 18:09

Kitriana wrote:you need to add the vamp-mystic wars. Elnoven was afterall a Mystic stronghold.
You need to add more information!:)

And that goes for everyone with input! Most of you say "Oh dont forget the X wars" or "Add the X event!". Without describing it. Which means I just get a hint that "something" happened but I can't add it since I got too little info. Grr... :)

I have no clue when the vamp-mystics wars took place and what happened. It doesn't need to be long, but something. Some type of detail, which guilds, when did it start, how did it end? Did anyone "win"? Did anything extraordinary happen during said war. Small details like that would make it much more possible for me to add info that I personally do not remember, or was not around for.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 27 Oct 2014 18:54

Sorry.. I wasn't really around for it myself. I came to Genesis at the very tail end. And my life in the game consisted of being dragged around totally clueless.
I just know the Mystics closed and sealed their doors in 1996 after the Ancients abandoned them.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 27 Oct 2014 19:57

Kitriana wrote:Sorry.. I wasn't really around for it myself. I came to Genesis at the very tail end. And my life in the game consisted of being dragged around totally clueless.
I just know the Mystics closed and sealed their doors in 1996 after the Ancients abandoned them.
Thats not bad info. Added!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/