Elven Archers

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

Elven Archers

Post by Zhar » 24 Mar 2015 19:55

I've decided to start a thread on this since I'm reworking the Archers guild. I won't lie to you, it might take some time since quite a bit of code there is pretty sketchy and not all of the features are working as intended.

I'd like to use this opportunity and ask for your feedback to help me fix stuff faster. As a feedback I don't mean more ideas for the guild or how it should look since I've got plenty of that already (thanks for all the interest). What I need is people who are/were in the guild and can point out the most glaring bugs and issues.

Examples:

1. Eil-Galaith half-elves with base race of human are being thrown out of the guild after re-logging.
2. Shooting into adjacent rooms only working in specific places.
3. Bowstrings breaking as soon as you start tanking in combat. (Fixed)
4. The guild is neutral in theory but you can only join and train if you're good-aligned. (All align restrictions will be removed in the new incarnation of the guild)

Ad. 2:
I'll have to look into that when I come to this part of code. One of the problems with the Archers guild is that it's tied to the missile system which isn't as fleshed out as I wish it was. It's also not used very often in the Realms so there is much less feedback available compared to other combat mechanics.

So, if you find any oddities, quirks and nuisances with the Archers guild or the missile-based combat system please post in here so I (or other wizards if they feel like it) can take a look at it.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Carnak
Wanderer

Re: Elven Archers

Post by Carnak » 24 Mar 2015 23:15

Hello,

Straight to the points of interest.

2. Shooting from adjacent rooms, this is likely a broken ability, as the NPCs of Genesis have no real way to react to it, it was coded as a function for NPCs to shoot at players from adjacent rooms. The only way, that I can think of, to really implement this ability in a functioning and balanced way is to have it so that you fire at fleeing targets, if you are already aiming an arrow towards said target.

3. The bowstring has a chance of breaking when the wielder parries, if you dont have a parry skill, you dont break your bowstrings. There are bows out there that are not affected by the string breaking. This is a good feature in my opinion, archers arent exactly tanks.

When it comes to the guild itself, I am aware that there has long been thoughts of coding enchanted arrows for the archers guild, instead of abilities. I see a fatal flaw in this, as arrows are just as important as bows when it comes to determining the damage you deal. If the laymans guild offer arrows of "subpar" quality in terms of hit/pen, the increase in damage could just aswell be found on arrows in the realms, making you tax for damage that you already have. However if the laymans guild offer arrows with good hit/pen, there would be no point in having other arrows in the realms, removing a part of a fun aspect, which is hunting for equipment.

My suggestion would be, as it always has been, an ability similar to aimshot or quickshot.

Signed,
Happy Marksman

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 25 Mar 2015 02:14

Well, I have removed the bowstring breaking on parry entirely. I think it was more of a hindrance than really cool feature and realism be damned in this case. It would make more sense if we had more dimension in the game instead of just close combat where maneuvering is severely limited. Like this MUD which name I completely forgot where you could not only move around in the rooms (had to cross the distance to the target) but could also travel the world at various paces (running taking you several rooms in certain direction with each command and you being able to see stuff you pass by or that's outpacing you, really neat).

Anyway, I'll be taking a closer look at the code since I'm going to refactor most of it and I'll see what are the possible options. Perhaps we'll keep the shooting to adjacent rooms part (big part of Qualinesti) and expand the number of places you can use it in (I can think of several in Middleearth alone).

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 25 Mar 2015 09:55

One very simple way to give them an ability would just be to make the aiming time shorter as you advance in the guild. A more experienced archer need less time to aim before shooting seems logical. This of course has to be balanced.

But if it would be complicated to give double shot, aiming shot etc etc this would be one way of increasing the ability of archery.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 25 Mar 2015 16:14

I know at one point there was a way to exploit the missile system in the game pretty heavily. I'm not sure if it was missile or Archer dependent and it might have been removed but perhaps something to check into.

It was possible to nock as many arrows in inventory as you had and then basically shoot them all at the same time. You can imagine the damage that 30+ arrows in three seconds could cause on someone that was bigger. May be something that you need to check into.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 25 Mar 2015 17:56

Zestana wrote:I know at one point there was a way to exploit the missile system in the game pretty heavily. I'm not sure if it was missile or Archer dependent and it might have been removed but perhaps something to check into.

It was possible to nock as many arrows in inventory as you had and then basically shoot them all at the same time. You can imagine the damage that 30+ arrows in three seconds could cause on someone that was bigger. May be something that you need to check into.
Will check this out.

Iris
Beginner

Post by Iris » 01 Apr 2015 01:37

The elf vision spell of the archers is not working. Whenever cast elf vision is used it keeps saying "what?" As im very new in the guild this is the only thing that catches my eye so far. Wish i was bigger to help you in this.
If animals believed in god, the devil would look like a human being.

Iris
Beginner

Post by Iris » 01 Apr 2015 03:11

Zestana wrote:I know at one point there was a way to exploit the missile system in the game pretty heavily. I'm not sure if it was missile or Archer dependent and it might have been removed but perhaps something to check into.

Wow archers have such ability? I should immediately try it before it gets recoded :D

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 01 Apr 2015 12:29

Iris wrote:The elf vision spell of the archers is not working. Whenever cast elf vision is used it keeps saying "what?" As im very new in the guild this is the only thing that catches my eye so far. Wish i was bigger to help you in this.
What command are you using to cast the spell? Do you have all the ingredients?

Iris
Beginner

Post by Iris » 03 Apr 2015 01:09

Zhar wrote:
Iris wrote:The elf vision spell of the archers is not working. Whenever cast elf vision is used it keeps saying "what?" As im very new in the guild this is the only thing that catches my eye so far. Wish i was bigger to help you in this.
What command are you using to cast the spell? Do you have all the ingredients?
In the archers help file its mentioned as dark vision and in the spells title as elf vision. I have tried both "cast elf vision" and "cast dark vision". All i get is "cast what?" (As i have some other guild spells too) Its not that im failing to cast the spell because im not mentally enough. By the way, i never though that spell required something, help file says no herb is needed for the spell and doesnt mention anything needed either.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/