Elven Archers

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Greneth

Re: Elven Archers

Post by Greneth » 08 Apr 2015 13:54

Noticed that if you store arrows in your quiver the load time is slower then just having them in your inventory, also when just typing kill instead of manually aiming there is about a 3-4 second delay before it will knock an arrow.

Not sure if these were intentional but highly annoying, triggers van be set up to just snag an arrow before combat but its still slower. Possible to just knock an arrow from the quiver automatically once combat is initiated?

The quiver cant hold very many arrows either, an increase to that would be helpful. Least the heavier arrows it cant.

And an automatic unload once you are out of combat. You can run around with an arrow knocked and not notice it which causes you to be very tired.

A nice feature might be to add an option that will automatically target a specific spot on NPCs, can set to aim for the head, arms, legs, etc. Higher the guild xp the more chances youll have to always hit in that region.

These are just a few things ive had to create triggers for to work around, again not sure how much is intentional.

I hope it does change a bit, at the very least a council to remove rack looters and keep some kind of hierarchy close to the lore. Qualinesti elves are more open then the rest of the Kyrnn elves but still very private.

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 08 Apr 2015 14:20

Alot of talk about abilities. But what is the guild about?
Why would anyone join this guild?

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 08 Apr 2015 16:48

Kvator wrote:one additional question, since I have impression (from this forum ofc) that your attitude towards Genesis is something like 'let's make it dwarf fortress 2.0 in terms of difficulty'
this guild will remain casual as it is now (but not as useless as it is now ofc), or it will be changed to Zhar-version-of-'casual'?
You get the wrong impression about me :twisted:

I don't want to turn Gen into DF 2.0, what I want (and fail at, so be happy) is to make it a bit more challenging. I'd like the enchanted items, especially the top notch ones to be more scarce and harder to get, so that people wouldn't run around lighted up like christmas trees with magic. I'd like it for the guilds to send teams to retrieve enchanted items and be happy about every single one of them, not just the best. I don't really like the fact that most myths can pretty much 'solo' the realms right now and obtain most items without much effort. I know that those dreams of mine were pretty unfeasible when we had an average of 18 players/day, but now that's closer to 30-40 I can see it working with guilds filling up with new members. Anyway, those are just my own ideas, not necessarily shared by the rest of the wizard community. Also, none of it has anything to do with the Archers recode, so I'm going back on topic :)

To answer Cotillion's concerns:

The basic idea behind the Elven Archers is sound. We have the Neidar Clan for dwarves and Secret Society for Kenders. Why not have something thematic for the elves? I'm greatly in favor of adding more thematic racial occupational guilds (personally I'd go as far as making KoS human exclusive, to keep with the theme portrayed in the books).

Why would anyone want to join? Maybe because it's one of only two guilds in the realms that let you play an evil ranger-type (the other one being AA). Maybe because it's cool to play an elf and run around shooting arrows at things. I don't know, all I know is that I did try it out at some point as a mortal and it was great fun, although it really fealt like great idea that came a bit short at some point and ended up being disappointing in the long run due to the current meta-game. I believe there are more people who had similar experience with this guild.

And that's why I want to put some effort into fixing the guilds shortcomings and making it fun all the way.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 08 Apr 2015 16:52

cotillion wrote:Alot of talk about abilities. But what is the guild about?
The guild is about qualinesti elves. You rp a krynn elf instead of an ME one. Still, it can also be interpreted as a "normal" elf, quite attractive to newcomers, and combinable with rangers for roleplayers.

People who join this guild like the idea of being an archer. I'm guessing it's people who like Legolas or have played hunters in WoW, or archers in GW2.

Most of its members put fun and rp before power, but since their rp is making it attractive to old timers who want to have fun, those old timers are giving some ideas as to how it could be turned into a playable guild. By playable I mean being able to actually kill something as a member of it.

Quick fix? Make "mattack" work with bows, and you'll see a few archers/merc running around.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 08 Apr 2015 17:17

Aristos wrote:
The guild is about qualinesti elves. You rp a krynn elf instead of an ME one. Still, it can also be interpreted as a "normal" elf, quite attractive to newcomers, and combinable with rangers for roleplayers.

People who join this guild like the idea of being an archer. I'm guessing it's people who like Legolas or have played hunters in WoW, or archers in GW2.

Most of its members put fun and rp before power, but since their rp is making it attractive to old timers who want to have fun, those old timers are giving some ideas as to how it could be turned into a playable guild. By playable I mean being able to actually kill something as a member of it.

Quick fix? Make "mattack" work with bows, and you'll see a few archers/merc running around.
Gorboth already said it wasnt happening in a previous note. No idea why.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 08 Apr 2015 18:15

cotillion wrote:
Amberlee wrote: Thematics of a guild dont mean shit if its unplayable.
I think there is alot of evidence in Genesis that unplayable guilds with good theme have active members.
We also seem to have a few "playable" guilds which are so boring that most members seem to stop playing.
I quite disagree that having a few low-level alts play in unplayable guilds now and then for the giggles is "having active members". It's actually something I loath when taken to the extreme (as some have done).
On the inactive playable guilds I don't think boredom has anything to do with that. Maybe you should talk with the players instead of judging based on your own thesis.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 08 Apr 2015 19:15

Well the Qualinesti elves are a mixture between the Kagonesti and Silvanesti. They are not quite a reclusive and racist as the Silvanesti and gives the game your druid theme as from the Kagonesti they are in tune with nature itself. Just not as wild or uncivilized as them.

The Archer playstyle or long range attcks appeal to many people, this is why you see it in nearly every game. Genesis has had one just very unplayable. I view it as the most unplayable guild. I would of suggested fixing it within the Rangers and closing the Archers but since no one seems to want to even glance at a Ranger recode and Zhar is interested in the Qualinesti then thats great.

But even if you toss the lore to the side lets be realistic, no one gives two shits about roleplay except for maybe three or four guilds and a handful of players. So it really doesnt matter what the guild is about, but it does provide a different attack style that the game lacks.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 08 Apr 2015 19:58

The big problem in my opinion is that Genesis has no implemented method to calculate range. What does this mean? Shooting to the next room? That is wildly inconsistent due to the fact that in some cases a new room might thematically be meant to be two feet away, while in other cases, it might actually mean you just traveled half a mile.

In a single room, there is no current way to deal with increasing or closing distance to a player. There is potential to fool around with this mechanic via sub-locations within a given room. But the combat routines that govern genesis globally don't have much going on with sublocs at present, to my knowledge.

So ... what distinguishes an archer in combat - in Genesis? Shooting an arrow ... like ... two feet right into the face of someone who standing in front of you trying to slice you with their sword? Seems awkward to say the least.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 08 Apr 2015 20:01

as opposed to be hidden into unnoticeable in the same room with several people ... that's not awkward I guess

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 08 Apr 2015 20:18

Perhaps the best practical application for bows are if they simply function like regular weaponry.

You stand in the room, shooting arrows instead of swinging a sword. Appearance and thematically different, yet for practical reasons handled like any regular weapon and special.

Then, you can add as suggested different functions on different kind of arrows. Snares, stuns, doubleshots, aimshots (vs a particular region).
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/