Making non-magical items always save

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Alisa
Hero

Re: Making non-magical items always save

Post by Alisa » 17 Oct 2016 09:06

varian wrote: If your claim is that "there are a bunch of really good non-magical helms and greaves and bracers and stuff! so why should people get to keep those!!" my answer is because, in theory, they could fight the monster/NPC owner of those items as often as they want to stockpile vast amounts of them anytime, and essentially insure themselves to have multiple saving sets anytime they want. They aren't limited, you can find them as often as you want already anyhow (unless there is some other restriction on them... and without speaking of specific items, we cant really talk details). So... why are we trying to deprive people?
non-magical things break. Making them save every time just makes it a bit easier to have gear. You still have to go get new ones after some hours of grinding.

Stockpiling is already happening. Shells and sturdy armours. And they get used/worn, discarded and new is collected.

Rinse and repeat.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 16 Nov 2016 04:53

Is there any update on this? It seemed like a good idea to many and suddenly the post died off which I found curious.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 16 Nov 2016 14:17

Drazson wrote:Is there any update on this? It seemed like a good idea to many and suddenly the post died off which I found curious.
Same answer as always... someone has to code it. And very few wizard could make this type of global change. We've pretty much all agreed it's a good idea though, so it's not forgotten.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 16 Nov 2016 15:28

Cherek wrote:Same answer as always... someone has to code it. And very few wizard could make this type of global change. We've pretty much all agreed it's a good idea though, so it's not forgotten.
Ah my bad, I thought there actually was someone on it and wondered what's up. Thanks!

Maisey
Beginner

Re: Making non-magical items always save-- A drawback?

Post by Maisey » 12 Feb 2017 01:08

Making non-magical items always save --A drawback?

This is a great idea, and I love love love the thought of being able to keep certain items. It will certainly make starting out each session oh so much easier. And I think it will affect another aspect of the game, it will lessen the need for inter-dependency of players.

Guilds are one of the best ways for people to meet others in the game. I used to play this game years ago, back when there was a queue sometimes 50 players long to get into the game. Back then Genesis was live with lots of players, and lots of friends. One would log in during an hours break in classes, just to see friends and get something big killed between periods. At this time player interaction was huge, and I believe it was key to maintaining players over the long term.

Currently this problem of needing equipment is solved by dependency on one's guild, or even multiple guilds one has to visit to get equipped up. And the guilds provide opportunity to meet up with other players. The going there, starting there, is largely driven by the need for equipment, getting it, or leaving it for others. If a player can go straight out and kill, they will. I will. And yet this will impact and lessen opportunities for player to player interaction.

In my humble opinion there are two things that attract players to the game, the game itself ( i.e. accomplishing questing and killing-- getting bigger, getting more money), and interaction with friends. Those are two aspects of creating a really addictive fun thing to spend one's time doing.

Making non-magical items save is a freaking fantastic idea. It is also an idea that will lessen people's dependency on physically visiting their guild. It will make guilds less of the hubs that they now are. (Even now guilds are much deader than they were in the day). With the loss of guilds as hubs, player interaction will go down, community will lessen, and the retention of players will become even poorer than it is now.

While there are a good number of players in the game, I now see large numbers of people online, but so many of them are newbies, and of those newbies very few of them continue on in the game long term. I am constantly forgetting players that haven't logged in in a year. That was a rare ocurrance in "the old days." I believe the key difference between now and back when Genesis was booming, is not face-book and other social media providing an alternative, but rather lack of opportunity here for interaction with other players. And I think shifting away from the needs for racks will impact that negatively.

Maisey
Beginner

Some solutions: An idea to solve the newbie frustration

Post by Maisey » 12 Feb 2017 01:17

Some solutions: An idea to solve the newbie frustration regarding items that don't save, and more

How about putting lockers in the AG guild in the tutorial? The lockers can be rented for a small fee. and are good for a certain time period perhaps a specific date game-time maybe a month. The renter receives a key, and can access the locker as often as he she pleases. The locker can hold a specified number of items, perhaps 2-3 weapons, and as many personal items as can be worn, plus 1 or 2. There can be a note added to the shop sign that explains that any non-glowing items should be sold or saved in a locker before log-out. At the locker stations explain that lockers are for the guild-less, AND that at guilds equip is shared so they will have more equip options available to them when they join one-- but will also be sharing with their guild-mates --(get them used to the idea).

Lockers could be put in AG guilds through out the game and available to any level players who do not yet belong to LAY or OCC guilds. This would increase traffic to AG guilds, and thereby add another opportunity for player interaction between the guild-less.

To that end, I also suggest putting boards in the AG guilds. These would be good for helping people get info about things that they can't really get on the help line. Eg advertising their interest in being contacted by recruiters for certain guilds, or asking about an area, or requesting someone to take them hunting. People of any size should be able to post. And having it in the training room of in the foyer of the training room so that it has to be passed through for better chances of meetings. Where it is necessary to put them in the actual training room Earmuffs could be provided for posters who wished to to block training messages and conversations perhaps (when wearing the earmuffs), only entrances and exits and <ask [poster name]> would still get through.

I also suggest that if they are not already, the AG guilds become no theft zones. SO people can hang out and chat-- without a bad exp. Thieves can still sit at the front door and rob people :)

Draugor
Myth

Re: Some solutions: An idea to solve the newbie frustration

Post by Draugor » 14 Feb 2017 07:51

Maisey wrote:Some solutions: An idea to solve the newbie frustration regarding items that don't save, and more

How about putting lockers in the AG guild in the tutorial? The lockers can be rented for a small fee. and are good for a certain time period perhaps a specific date game-time maybe a month. The renter receives a key, and can access the locker as often as he she pleases. The locker can hold a specified number of items, perhaps 2-3 weapons, and as many personal items as can be worn, plus 1 or 2. There can be a note added to the shop sign that explains that any non-glowing items should be sold or saved in a locker before log-out. At the locker stations explain that lockers are for the guild-less, AND that at guilds equip is shared so they will have more equip options available to them when they join one-- but will also be sharing with their guild-mates --(get them used to the idea).

Lockers could be put in AG guilds through out the game and available to any level players who do not yet belong to LAY or OCC guilds. This would increase traffic to AG guilds, and thereby add another opportunity for player interaction between the guild-less.

To that end, I also suggest putting boards in the AG guilds. These would be good for helping people get info about things that they can't really get on the help line. Eg advertising their interest in being contacted by recruiters for certain guilds, or asking about an area, or requesting someone to take them hunting. People of any size should be able to post. And having it in the training room of in the foyer of the training room so that it has to be passed through for better chances of meetings. Where it is necessary to put them in the actual training room Earmuffs could be provided for posters who wished to to block training messages and conversations perhaps (when wearing the earmuffs), only entrances and exits and <ask [poster name]> would still get through.

I also suggest that if they are not already, the AG guilds become no theft zones. SO people can hang out and chat-- without a bad exp. Thieves can still sit at the front door and rob people :)

Thing is, that would make racks obsolete. They would be private racks, people need to be notified about it in a more clear manner and told to rack or hide their stuff is all.

Maisey
Beginner

Re: Some solutions: An idea to solve the newbie frustration

Post by Maisey » 16 Feb 2017 05:13

Draugor wrote: Thing is, that would make racks obsolete. They would be private racks, people need to be notified about it in a more clear manner and told to rack or hide their stuff is all.
Lockers would not make racks obsolete. They would not affect use of racks at all. It was proposed as a solution for people who do not have access to racks. Lockers would be exclusive to: newbies in the tutorial, and players outside the tutorial who have neither LAY nor OCC guild. (If they have either a LAY or an OCC they can't get a locker). IF they have no guilds, they have no access to racks-- hence the lockers help to solve the original problem of newbies in the tutorial who are frustrated by non-saving items, and also helps the guild-less who don't have access to racks.

The benefit to this solution is that it solves the problem for newbies while maintaining the need for the use of guild racks, and thereby preserving the opportunity for player interaction that having racks in the guilds provides.

Maisey

Mirandus
Site Admin

Post by Mirandus » 16 Feb 2017 05:57

Lockers in the Tutorial Area is on my list of things to work on,

Thanks for reminding me. I'll be getting to that. Whether this makes it to the realms in general for those you suggest is to be seen.

Luma
Adept

Post by Luma » 24 May 2017 03:19

I love this idea! I would also notify people (in a tutorial sign in the store for instance) to explain this to newbies.
Also, when I use <save>, some items do not appear in either list as glowing or non-glowing. Most notably, my quivers. I love the idea that you can only save as much stuff as you can wear/wield to limit the number of things people sleep with, so people still use guild racks and such.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/