Making non-magical items always save

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Making non-magical items always save

Post by Cherek » 24 May 2017 08:08

This change is not likely to happen. The tutorial now has a guild with racks that newbies can use to store stuff in, which introduces them to the rack system in the real world. Actually, since it was introduced I haven't gotten one single mail saying "Why did I lose my stuff when I quit?!" Promising so far!

That some stuff glows, some don't, and some never does but saves anyway is... a totally confusing system though. It would really be better if glowing or not glowing simply indicated if something saves over Armageddon or not, and if you quit with stuff you always drop it, and LD'ing out with stuff means it's always gone. That would be a little easier to explain at least.

Luma
Adept

Re: Some solutions: An idea to solve the newbie frustration

Post by Luma » 29 May 2017 22:14

Maisey wrote:
Draugor wrote: Thing is, that would make racks obsolete. They would be private racks, people need to be notified about it in a more clear manner and told to rack or hide their stuff is all.
Lockers would not make racks obsolete. They would not affect use of racks at all. It was proposed as a solution for people who do not have access to racks. Lockers would be exclusive to: newbies in the tutorial, and players outside the tutorial who have neither LAY nor OCC guild. (If they have either a LAY or an OCC they can't get a locker). IF they have no guilds, they have no access to racks-- hence the lockers help to solve the original problem of newbies in the tutorial who are frustrated by non-saving items, and also helps the guild-less who don't have access to racks.

The benefit to this solution is that it solves the problem for newbies while maintaining the need for the use of guild racks, and thereby preserving the opportunity for player interaction that having racks in the guilds provides.

Maisey
I don't think it is necessary to have lockers AND non-magical items save. I think the combination of both WOULD make guild racks obsolete. Also, I think just having it in the tutorial is a mistake, because the tutorial is supposed to prepare newbies for the real world. Then you get the "But all my items glowed in the tutorial" or "But there were lockers in the tutorial". Then you're simply delaying the learning curve.

I don't think that having every item you can carry glow. Then you do get obsolete guild racks, because why would you share it with your guildmates when you can just hold on to it yourself and be certain that it is there when you return. No, I think the best solution is:

Non-magical items should glow as long as you are wielding or wearing them.

As for lockers, I don't think they should be exclusive to the tutorial because it won't prepare newbies for the real world. They also might not work very well in the real world either. There is no reason to have them if everything you wear or wield glows. Additionally, there aren't many people without guilds. Newbies join either the cadets or the academy and larger people who are in transition join the mercenaries for a short period of time.

Guild racks are a great way for guilds to be united, and I think having nonmagical items always save AND lockers is a bad idea. I really like the idea of having as much stuff as you can wear and wield save, so you don't have people becoming mobile racks over many quits.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 29 May 2017 22:27

Should maybe put together a list of items that are good / really good compared to their difficulty to get.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 29 May 2017 22:30

Considering the Tutorial now has a guild with a rack .. I think this is rather a settled matter.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 30 May 2017 02:26

Kitriana wrote:Considering the Tutorial now has a guild with a rack .. I think this is rather a settled matter.
Yup. We're sticking to the Genesis way.

Luma
Adept

Post by Luma » 30 May 2017 05:51

Yes, I am extremely happy that there is now a guild with racks in the tutorial, because this was something many newbies who had not left the tutorial complained about and something newbies who did get out of the tutorial had to learn. But that doesn't change my views on the non-magical items saving and the lockers. Though this is a wonderful addition that I am very happy about!! :)

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 30 May 2017 09:18

I see the point. What about the Merc/blademaster combo though (or more, if they exist)?

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 30 May 2017 10:15

Find a club with a start room? Or find a very very good hiding place.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Cerin
Wanderer

Post by Cerin » 30 May 2017 18:52

Drazson wrote:I see the point. What about the Merc/blademaster combo though (or more, if they exist)?
Unfortunately the admin care little for a mercs fun. Your only option is to find a layman with racks or find a obscure spot in the realms and hope no one runs across it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 30 May 2017 22:11

Cerin wrote:
Drazson wrote:I see the point. What about the Merc/blademaster combo though (or more, if they exist)?
Unfortunately the admin care little for a mercs fun. Your only option is to find a layman with racks or find a obscure spot in the realms and hope no one runs across it.
Mercs are a free for all guild without leadership and basically no rules, which is a positive thing in many ways. Having rather unsafe racks is one of their drawbacks, which makes perfect sense. Complete freedom comes at a price.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/