Making non-magical items always save

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cerin
Wanderer

Re: Making non-magical items always save

Post by Cerin » 30 May 2017 23:12

Cherek wrote:
Cerin wrote:
Drazson wrote:I see the point. What about the Merc/blademaster combo though (or more, if they exist)?
Unfortunately the admin care little for a mercs fun. Your only option is to find a layman with racks or find a obscure spot in the realms and hope no one runs across it.
Mercs are a free for all guild without leadership and basically no rules, which is a positive thing in many ways. Having rather unsafe racks is one of their drawbacks, which makes perfect sense. Complete freedom comes at a price.
Your using sketchy thematics to ruin gameplay of a pretty cool guild. Thematically a merc would keep his items on his person rather then in some random racks that get looted left and right. Old mercs had Warlord Parties and Lockers yet I dont remember the game being so out of balance that everything went to hell in a hand basket.

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 30 May 2017 23:21

Cerin wrote:
Cherek wrote: Mercs are a free for all guild without leadership and basically no rules, which is a positive thing in many ways. Having rather unsafe racks is one of their drawbacks, which makes perfect sense. Complete freedom comes at a price.
Your using sketchy thematics to ruin gameplay of a pretty cool guild. Thematically a merc would keep his items on his person rather then in some random racks that get looted left and right. Old mercs had Warlord Parties and Lockers yet I dont remember the game being so out of balance that everything went to hell in a hand basket.
lol

proof that just is because said by wizard is not mean of good logic or "perfect sense"
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 30 May 2017 23:47

Cherek wrote:Mercs are a free for all guild without leadership and basically no rules, which is a positive thing in many ways. Having rather unsafe racks is one of their drawbacks, which makes perfect sense. Complete freedom comes at a price.
Sure. This makes sense for the Evil and Neutral sides, where theft is to be expected, but the Goodie side?
Good people don't steal, but the good rack is the only one that anyone complains about.

Perhaps if a character sets their start point at the lodge, they get a footlocker? That belongs to them?
Good idea, I'd say. Though, perhaps there would need to be a fee for starting there.. Limited beds and all.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 31 May 2017 01:52

Well. Chaotic good people would steal. Lawful evil people might not. Align isn't all black and white.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 31 May 2017 18:44

In my opinion it's both logical and well-designed. You get a lot of freedom as a mercenary, more than any guild, but you don't get secure racks, since the guid has no structure, rules or leadership. It makes perfect sense both thematically and game design-wise I think.

But, Gorboth is the mercenary guild master, and designer of the guild, so if you feel this is a big problem I suggest mailing him describing the problem, and perhaps presenting a reasonable solution?

I don't think suggesting personal racks or lockers is realistic though, because that would be a MASSIVE boost for the mercenaries, and then I bet all guilds would want it. And then we can just make all items save on everyone forever instead, since a personal rack is basically that.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 31 May 2017 20:29

I've given the Mercenaries all I intend to with regard to item storage and management for the present time.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 31 May 2017 20:49

Cherek wrote:But, Gorboth is the mercenary guild master, and designer of the guild, so if you feel this is a big problem I suggest mailing him describing the problem, and perhaps presenting a reasonable solution?
Slightly off topic, but could the broom be unsellable? So that the lodge stays clean?
Cherek wrote:I don't think suggesting personal racks or lockers is realistic though, because that would be a MASSIVE boost for the mercenaries, and then I bet all guilds would want it. And then we can just make all items save on everyone forever instead, since a personal rack is basically that.
I suppose that makes sense.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 31 May 2017 20:52

I believe u can have your own personal start room tent now.
Found one full of some [lame] noldor gear, was so tempted to move him into Minas Morgul.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Sibbedidenn
Adept

Post by Sibbedidenn » 14 Aug 2017 16:29

So I only read up to the third page of this thread where Varian went on his rant that reflects only his views and he caught what I wanted to say in my throat, I was going to recommend that while in Tutori Isle all gear saves for newbies with an extension that gear leftover from the Isle saves for ten log-ins or until it breaks. In the spirit of Varian's "...Why stop there?" approach I hope to offer a suggestion. Albeit it would be most likely a lot more work than some tent or the simple and somewhat shiny solution of perma saving reg gear, which I like to the extent that it only applies to a set of EQ or so. Very reasonable.

Tarax like Varian before him made my throat clench! Stealing my ideas before I had them! Anyway, you may all have become accustomed to my addle-brained ideas and as usual, I am excited as all get out about this one! Why stop at tents or one set of reg gear? Why not take one of the construction zones in Sparkle or one of the old warehouses down by the docks and turn it into a slum of sorts. Where all us wretches can live dirtily like we deserve, huh!!! I say we have an apartment building! What? Yes, an apartment building, with itty-bitty rooms so small there is only enough room for a small bed, a chest, and a smallish wardrobe. You all catch my drift by now I am sure. Much like the small fee from the bank, so minuscule that in newbie times you hardly notice, the rooms will be let for a mere 5 coppers or some rot like that. Same applies, only reg gear may be stored here but it is readily available for everyone! Plus, I will finally have my dream of banging on my floorboards to keep up Amberlee at night, what fun!

Also in Tutori Isle, the gear can perma save and once in Sparkle that handy poster everyone has to read could explain the cheap housing nearby. Now, come on comrades, join me in this public work. For the people! for the Cup O' Newbles, for us all!

Sibbie

Edit: brushed it a little

Sorry, sorry. Just read about the Patrol racks. Great, they are. Love them racks.

Luma
Adept

Post by Luma » 05 Sep 2017 01:26

This topic hasn't been discussed in a long while.

The matter was considered settled because newbies were no longer mailing the AoP about it because it was explained to them in the form of the Patrol guild. But here's the catch, those newbies didn't stick around.

A few months back there was a spike in activity and we reached 100 players of so for the first time in a long while. Thing is, it's clear many of those people didn't stick around. We are now back down at about 60.

I have a friend who joined Silverdale after the patrol guild existed, but still never left the tutorial because her items didn't save. She actually really loved Genesis, but she specifically stated that it was for that reason she didn't stay.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/