Faerun Projects/Waterdeep

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Twire
Greenhorne

Faerun Projects/Waterdeep

Post by Twire » 20 Sep 2016 20:47

Hi all! I'm Twire, a relatively new (joined this summer) wizard to the Faerun domain and long-time player of Genesis. My husband Gnim and I have taken on wizarding as a fun hobby to do together, and as old-school gamers, we decided to join the Faerun domain under the leadership of Lord Finwe!

We're really excited about Faerun because it's a domain with SO much potential due to all the existing and beloved Forgotten Realms lore, yet it has remained so underdeveloped on Genesis. We hope to play a big role in changing that! In agreement with Finwe, we're bumping up Faerun's timeline to be more in line with 5e D&D, which enables us to use all the novels and resources of decades of Forgotten Realms as part of Genesis-Faerun's history. :)

Gnim and I have been getting into the swing of things with the creation of Thornhold, a fortress on the Sword Coast near the Mere of Dead Men. We're getting fairly close to completing development. It's not a major project; it will just be a caravan stop with a quest and a few resources for travellers, but for us it's been a very key part of the process of developing our wizarding skills.

Once Thornhold is complete, we're going to dive into a much bigger project; Waterdeep - the City of Splendours! We will be taking this project ward by ward, which will enable the city to hopefully see the light of day in a reasonable timeframe by opening a core 3-4 wards and developing additional wards after the fact. (The first non-essential ward on my list is the Warrens, where I hope to give my favorite Genesis race, gnomes, some LONG overdue love and hopefully a second racial guild option with a more traditional D&D race flavor!)

Now I'm going to reach out a little to the Genesis community for a longshot request: if any of you have any Waterdeep resources collecting dust on your shelves that you'd be willing to give, lend, or sell us at a reasonable price, we will put them to good use! Old stuff is great too, even though we're developing the advanced timeline. It's not essential, but we would just love to have our hands on hard copies of resources if we can, especially any of those wonderful old maps from the box sets and modules. We already have Forgotten Realms and Undermountain Box sets from our own collection, and would like to add some Waterdeep specific resources to reference. I just splurged on getting myself the 3.5 edition City of Splendours resource book. I'm tempted by several eBay listings, but the listings are more than we'd care to pay, so I figured I'd hold off and see if anyone has any stuff in a dusty corner waiting for some love. We'd also be happy to return it to you after an extended loan of a year or two.

While we can't promise the Genesis Waterdeep creation will be 100% canon, we do hope to cater the experience to satisfy those who know and love Forgotten Realms. :)

Arman
Wizard

Re: Faerun Projects/Waterdeep

Post by Arman » 21 Sep 2016 01:14

Great to hear!

I had the Waterdeep box set from back in the day, as well as Volo's Guide to Waterdeep. Sadly I have no idea where either of those are now. But if you can get hold of Volo's Guide, that is an incredible resource.

Twire
Greenhorne

Post by Twire » 21 Sep 2016 01:37

Well if you end up doing any cleaning and run into them, keep me in mind!

I've been referencing Volo's Guide online - there's a complete PDF of it! It's probably my favorite resource even though it's the most dated. If I can't get my hands on a copy without paying an arm and a leg, I'll probably print it, but of course reference materials are much nicer to have in book form.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 22 Sep 2016 10:31

Twire wrote:(The first non-essential ward on my list is the Warrens, where I hope to give my favorite Genesis race, gnomes, some LONG overdue love and hopefully a second racial guild option with a more traditional D&D race flavor!)
my 2cc on this: I don't think that racial guild issue is the reason why there are so few gnomes around... Inventors is (in my opinion) the best racial guild in Genesis. The reason is the fact that they didn't fit well into most occ guilds power(and even lore)-wise - and when they actually fit somwhere, because of the dex importance there (Calia) - hobbits/kenders still fits much better.

Of course, if new racial guild is open, there will be people turning into gnomes and checking it, but it won't be the long-term solution.

Anyway - good to hear that Faerun might expand one day :)

Twire
Greenhorne

Post by Twire » 23 Sep 2016 20:33

I don't expect gnomes will ever be a highly popular race, but part of why they are unfitting lore-wise for many guilds is due to the fact that they've been pigeon-holed in Genesis lore as these manic tinkerers/merchants/bankers. I hope to offer them something different. ;) If only a few players enjoy that opportunity, I still think it will be worth my time.

First thing's first though!

Celemir
Wanderer

Post by Celemir » 24 Sep 2016 18:17

Sounds great, and thanks for sticking up the the gnome. I always found the d&d gnome very fun and full of possibles, way underrated. Looking forward to see you work.

Taro
Adventurer

Post by Taro » 25 Sep 2016 00:47

I asked Finwe about when we'd see some more Faerun stuff. Glad to see it coming! Excited for it. I love Faerun.
“There was this about vampires : they could never look scruffy. Instead, they were... what was the word... deshabille. It meant untidy, but with bags and bags of style.”

Taro
Adventurer

Post by Taro » 24 Oct 2016 16:31

Also, there is a new Volo's Guide coming out soon.
“There was this about vampires : they could never look scruffy. Instead, they were... what was the word... deshabille. It meant untidy, but with bags and bags of style.”

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 15 Feb 2017 17:31

So, any ETA on when the rest of Faerun is beeing made?

Been murmurs about it for years, and I believe someone was actually coding it, for a quite extented period of time?

Cerin
Wanderer

Post by Cerin » 27 Feb 2017 18:43

Twire wrote:I don't expect gnomes will ever be a highly popular race, but part of why they are unfitting lore-wise for many guilds is due to the fact that they've been pigeon-holed in Genesis lore as these manic tinkerers/merchants/bankers. I hope to offer them something different. ;) If only a few players enjoy that opportunity, I still think it will be worth my time.

First thing's first though!
This one of the few can't wait for it, even if it's only the Warrens will all subclasses of the Gnome be available? Forest, Rock, Deep?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/