Krynn domain 2017 in review, and roadmap for 2018

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Arman
Wizard

Krynn domain 2017 in review, and roadmap for 2018

Post by Arman » 16 Feb 2018 13:50

It feels like only yesterday that I wrote the review for 2016 and outlined the 2017 roadmap for the Dragonlance domains! Here is the next one...

A lot was done in 2017, although the line blurs when I look at what was done at a global level when my role was expanded to include Balance (such as the changes to backstab, dual shield wearing, expansion of the global spell system etc) to what was specifically changes focused on Krynn and Ansalon. But the focus was largely around the existing guilds and their offerings.

Anyway, 2017 kicked off with the transition of the Priests of Takhisis over to the new magic system. I don't expect mortals to appreciate just how big a job that was, to convert the old code over to the new magic system... but it was probably the closest any coding project I have undertaken in this game has felt like an unwanted job. It was convoluted and complicated, but it had to be done if the guild was to remain viable in modern Genesis. And without giving away any guild secrets I think the end outcome was pretty good! :)

Carnak and Mirandus finalised the recode of the Secret Society of Uncle Trapspringer. Another large scale guild recode which vastly improved the playing experience of those who wanted to experience that niche role of kender handler!

The Dragonarmies were re-balanced. While the Red Dragonarmy had a considerable improvement in their quality of player experience, there was a perceived reduction in the Blue Dragonarmy powers which didn't bare out in reality.

A lot of work was put in to the finalisation of the extension of the Students of High Magic - the much anticipated Wizards of High Sorcery. I can confirm that it is completely coded, and that almost 9 months of beta testing has been conducted. There is still a little bit to go, but it is on track to open in mid 2018.

Also finalised is the area south of Pax Tharkas known as the Tharkadan Mountain range... an extension of the domain towards the dwarven mountain realm of Thorbardin. Here, refugees from the mines of Pax Tharkas have fled... including the newly ordained high seeker Elistan, convert of the Old Gods... one who will teach those willing to learn about the Holy Order of the Stars, a good layman clerical guild.

Magic mapping was done of the gnome settlement east of Solace and Icewall, as well as a re-map of the dewar/aghar dwarven mines west of Palanthas. Probably unnoticed was also the magic mapping of the actual boat ride between Solace and Newports - one of the only boat rides where magic maps updates as you sail!

KRYNN DOMAIN ROADMAP FOR 2018

*** DISCLAIMER!!! ROADMAPS AND PLANS ARE GREAT FOR PROVIDING FOCUS FOR A TEAM, HOWEVER RARELY END UP MIRRORING THE PROJECT REALITY.
*** IN MANAGING YOUR EXPECTATIONS PLEASE TREAT THIS AS YOU WOULD A KENDER TALE... ENTERTAINING FICTION WITH THE SLIM POSSIBILITY OF IT ALIGNING TO REALITY :)

In 2018 we will open the Wizards of High Sorcery (WoHS). First half of the year. The beta testers have been fantastic with their testing of features that haven't been seen before in Genesis, so I fully expect this to be a grand experience for those players who have long been waiting for this guild to re-open. For me, it is a mix of nostalgia from the original guild created in the 90s fused with the modern spell system that you would be familiar with through the SoHM. Also worth noting that the Test of High Sorcery will be the toughest joining quest of any guild... as it should be :). That in itself was a 6 month project!

The Tharkadan Mountain range and the Holy Order of the Stars layman clerical guild will open before the WoHS in the very near future.

The layman Cabal of Hiddekul thief guild will be provided with some new features. Did someone say personal lockers?

The elven archers of Ansalon will also be recoded considerably, with a lot of work already being put in to that recode - planned release second half of 2018. The focus of the recode will be around really distinguishing the ranger "class" from the other classes of Genesis... so we are hoping the player experience will be quite different from what players have experienced playing a fighter, magician, or cleric. We will also be bringing them in to the Krynn warfare system as one of the free people in the same way that the Neidar clan are.

We are planning on recoding the Shieldbearers of the dwarven Neidar Clan. Wearing my "balance" hat, what we want is a comparable experience to the layman Angmar guild offering. The Shieldbearers are nowhere near that. Carnak is pulling together a plan outlining considerable changes to that guild.

And then there is the penultimate focus of my coding... the Krynn warfare system. My end goal is that this becomes a reason for playing. The plan is a complete recode of the npcs of all the warfare areas, with a focus on mortal levels. Rather than the npc mix we currently have, certain zones would be challenges for heroes or above with appropriate rewards, while other zones would be suitable only for legends and above... again with suitable rewards. This is something that may be a stretch goal for 2018... however I do anticipate that we will have made a solid start before the new year. Also I want there to be a measurable participation, with rewards associated with it - from gear to potions to spells... the whole gambit! A complete measurable faction warfare system.

The beastmaster guild is a wildcard for 2018. Boy it is a beautiful layman guild! But it isn't ready. And Carnak isn't focusing his attentions on it. But don't hold that against him, because whatever he does focus his attentions to results in some amazing outcomes! And a lot of what I have outlined above is very reliant on him :). I promise I will push for it, as it would be a great addition to the game, just not to the detriment of what is outlined above :).

And as with 2017, another wildcard is Gorboth's necromancers. If that launches in 2018, be prepared! It is going to break all the rules!

Draugor
Myth

Re: Krynn domain 2017 in review, and roadmap for 2018

Post by Draugor » 16 Feb 2018 19:09

Lockers for thieves? I love you :P And Carnak but dont tell him, he's from Stockholm so he doesent deserve it...

Shieldbearers absolutely need it :s Oh god yes

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 16 Feb 2018 21:28

WOW!!! All this done by 2 wizards only? (though one of them is a dwarf, so maybe that's why ;))

soooo awesome :)

Saimon
Wanderer

Post by Saimon » 17 Feb 2018 12:41

Thank you Arman for the post. As always Arman is an example to other Lieges in communication policy. And as other said, big congratulations for what you have achieved last year. In the past it would take 3-4 years to have similar results, especialy taking into consideration work you and Carnak have done in things that will be introduced into Gen soon.

Celemir
Wanderer

Post by Celemir » 19 Feb 2018 19:41

Will the Elven archers still be layman or will they get a full ranger ooc?

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 20 Feb 2018 08:28

Celemir wrote:Will the Elven archers still be layman or will they get a full ranger ooc?
The plan is standalone full ranger occ.

Celemir
Wanderer

Post by Celemir » 20 Feb 2018 08:56

Arman wrote:
Celemir wrote:Will the Elven archers still be layman or will they get a full ranger ooc?
Sounds great :). It will be nice to see a fresh take on the ranger. Perhaps it will even rub off on the old rangers ;)

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 22 Feb 2018 00:42

Arman wrote:
Yay! I want archery to be a bigger part of the game. Plus the sneaky Quali elves in the books sound fun to play.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 22 Feb 2018 17:37

sylphan wrote:
Arman wrote:
Yay! I want archery to be a bigger part of the game. Plus the sneaky Quali elves in the books sound fun to play.
They taste good atleast *chomps on leg*

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/