Event poll

A place for Genesis Wizards to share their latest projects and updates.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

How should scores be shown during events?

Show everyone's scores automatically during events, including positions and points for everyone to see.
38%
Show some standings so you get an idea how it's going, but keep the details (like points / found items, etc) hidden until the end of the event. You can of course always see your own score, but others can't.
46%
Do not show any scores except your own during the event and present scores only at the end of the event.
16%

Total votes: 37

Cherek
Site Admin

Event poll

Post by Cherek » 05 Oct 2018 12:31

Hello,

As most of you know I am the new Arch of Events, and I have a question for those of you who usually participate in events. When it comes to scoring most current events do it in one of two ways: 1. There is some sort of scoreboard that is automatically updated during the event and shows everyone's scores. 2. Nobody knows the standings and who won is presented after the event.

I think there are pros and cons to each alternative. Updated scoring is nice since you know how you're doing, when you overtake someone, and how far you have to the top. It's also often quite fun and motivating to fight for positions on the leaderboard. The negative side is that if you notice some players take a big lead, it can feel a bit daunting and you might not be so motivated into continuing.

The good thing with not showing scores is that people don't risk lose motivation from seeing they are too far behind, and it encourages some interaction (and trickery) as players compare scores. The negative part is of course that it might feel a bit pointless to work hard during an event without having any clue about how it's going, so you might lose motivation due to that instead.

A third alternative could be to do a compromise of the two. That is for example show a leaderboard with the top 10, but only show places, not points. Or maybe show who are in the top, but not which order. So you know for example you're in the top 5, but not your exact position. Or similar.

Thoughts?

Greneth
Wizard

Re: Event poll

Post by Greneth » 05 Oct 2018 17:02

Vote to see nothing, I think a lot of people have fun with the events and then see scores and get discouraged causing them to give up. If you can't see anything people will be more inclined to continue to participate. Makes the suspense for the winners more exciting too.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 05 Oct 2018 18:26

I agree with Greneth.

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 11 Oct 2018 17:12

Late to this discussion and pretty new to events, but a fun thing about the Thanksgiving gobble event was that people started collaborating towards the end. If you saw a friend and a rival in the top 5, you might reach out to the friend to see how you could help them do better. This way, even if you knew you weren't going to place in the top 5 or 10 or 50, you could still get some kind of win by trying to help your ally beat your rival.

Luma
Adept

Post by Luma » 12 Oct 2018 04:34

Raelle wrote:Late to this discussion and pretty new to events, but a fun thing about the Thanksgiving gobble event was that people started collaborating towards the end. If you saw a friend and a rival in the top 5, you might reach out to the friend to see how you could help them do better. This way, even if you knew you weren't going to place in the top 5 or 10 or 50, you could still get some kind of win by trying to help your ally beat your rival.
That sounds like more fun than always hoping, and failing, to be in the top 5/10/50. :)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 12 Oct 2018 13:11

Thank for sharing your opinions and voting. It seems clear that most want some type of scoreboard, and for the upcoming Scavenger (which historically has been without scoreboards) I will go for option 2. That is, a scoreboard that gives all players an idea of the standings, but no exact details. That was my plan before I made this poll, and since it's also the option that has the majority of votes so far we'll try that and see how it goes!

Tulasi
Beginner

Post by Tulasi » 13 Oct 2018 17:53

I voted for the second option, and I'd like to see something like this:

Code: Select all

You have managed XXX points. (Possibly with a "you are then about a quarter/halfway/three quarters/have gotten all you can.)

Compared to the competiton you are far behind/somewhat behind/about the same/ahead/far ahead/extremely ahead of the average.
So, even if you are #1, you cannot be certain of your position, just compared to average, so even 20 players with only one point with only 1 point will bring the average down.

Just my 2 copper coins...

Code: Select all

What's up with every big-player area being alignment nerfed from evil mobs to neutral or almost neutral while the good mobs stay good?

Examples like Ghastly Keep undeads and Terel Trolls can be mentioned on the "why are these almost neutral?"

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Oct 2018 12:55

That's an interesting idea Tulasi. I'ts not going to be how the Scavenger scoring will presented (I already created a setup that I think will work well), but I'll store your idea for possible use in future events!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/