Imbuements

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zestana
Expert

Imbuements

Post by Zestana » 19 Jan 2012 08:38

Some numbers first.

I estimate a total of 67 different imbuements total that is possible to get. Of these 17 are an increase to a various form of magic or a resistance of a various form of magic. Aside from fire resistance and overall magic resistance that means that 25% of the possible imbuements are for the most part useless. Weapon skill increases. Most occupational guilds have the ability to train a weapon or multiple weapons to superior guru leaving an additional six slightly useless.Now say the given ratio to drop an item imbue is 1 out of every 100. With a 33% chance out of a sample size of 10 items to get one of the above mentioned imbues, rounding up that means 2 out of every 5 finds are useless.

I love the system of imbuements it gives a huge advantage in certain areas sometimes with a bit of luck but I wonder why some other items aren't out there. Certain skill sets can't be found like increasing herbalism skill (useful to some guilds with no herbalism or a different craft than gardeners and to find some specific herbs that need high skill.) What about pick pocket or open lock skill (could make thieves a viable option with the delay on recodes.) Appraise object so people can better compare things or appraise value for the same reason. While these would not be useful to everyone it would be more useful than some of the others on there.

Then there are a few things that would add more spice to the game. An imbue of invisibility. So much time out of every hour depending on intensity and while not in combat. Perhaps an imbuement of unbreakability on top of enhanced durability. Just some off the top of my head I'm sure others can think of more. Even perhaps an item that gives a globe of resistance like a shield spell.

And some itemsIfind the imbuement on them is useless. Boots or rings/amulets/neckwear with fire-slay xxx on them. The places those hold are never hit by enemies so those items can never be utilized aside from the stone.

Like I said I really enjoy the system, the above is just meant as observations, some constructive criticism and possibilities for change.

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Re: Imbuements

Post by Recoba » 19 Jan 2012 20:21

Let me first say that I LOVE the imbuements.

About the fireslaying necklaces - you can always make a stone of them so they're not useless, at least not more useless than a goblin-slaying splendid sword is.

The chance that you'll get a good embuement on a powerful item is very small, but that's fine with me. It gives me a reason to actually sometimes use items I would never otherwise use, that is good but not great items that become great thanks to an imbuement. This is great for variety - very important for me at least :)

I guess there is a thematic thought behind not all skills being available. AFAIR it's mostly (only) weapon skills. Presumably it's the "magic sword" idea at work here.
But of course, the a good thing with the imbuements system is that it should be easily extendable, so if the wizzes in charge decide to extend it then they will.
Personally I like it that it doesn't have all skills but mostly weapons, since I don't mind the imbuements being mainly combat-oriented. I mean, if you were a magic spirit would you go "I pick herbs!" when you could instead go "I kill elves!" or "I make light"? :)

Anyway. Did I say that I LOVE the imbuements? Great addition to the game.

I haven't tried the "buy random imbuement" yet - must be an exciting feeling when you don't know if you get a con-enhancing flaming black broadsword or an earth magic-resisting flaming black broadsword... :)

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 19 Jan 2012 22:05

I meant the post as no knock. I also agree with you Recoba I love the system. I got an exotic serrated obsidian halberd on random imbues once that had great items, the last 2 I've done have been crappy but that's why I don't gamble IRL :lol:

It was more of a question posed toward Gorboth on the line of how he implemented it. I suppose being that some are very powerful the ones that seem not so useful can be considered a form of built-in balance. As well as the question I hoped perhaps others might throw some ideas in that they might like to see items imbued with.

Cotillion made it a point on one of the other topics that you have to find a wizard interested in taking on a project. The imbuement system is fairly new and the coding wizard our Keeper and active. Perhaps an idea someone else throws out might have the potential to be added into the list of possible imbuements.

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 20 Jan 2012 12:38

Recoba wrote:I haven't tried the "buy random imbuement" yet - must be an exciting feeling when you don't know if you get a con-enhancing flaming black broadsword or an earth magic-resisting flaming black broadsword... :)
And after - as chance of getting something really useful is not so high - its usually like 'another wasted 1000pc'.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 21 Jan 2012 02:02

It is very gratifying to know that people enjoy the imbuements. It is true that the system allows us to create new imbuement types if we felt it was a good idea. The variety out there is fairly robust, but could probably stand a few additional things. Herbalism does sound like a fun one, so we'll see!

A big part of the build was an attempt to create a meaningful money-sink for the game. Up until imbuements were implemented, players had very little need to accumulate money once they had maxed their skills. Afterward, well, we saw even some of the greatest myths caring about their earnings once again - mission accomplished! :-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 26 Jan 2012 20:31

I am guessing a mana regenerative imbuement would break spellcasting guilds in the sense of imbalance?

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 27 Jan 2012 00:46

mana leeching on hit ... pls pls pls
at least 1 weapon does that now anyway

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/