Equipment Hoarding

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

On the topic of equipment hoarding ...

Certain guilds nearly always hoard weapons they do not use to prevent them from being in the hands of those that would benefit from them, and it is a very serious flaw in the current design.
31%
Equipment hoarding does happen occasionally, but the average player will only be moderately impacted making it not a huge problem.
45%
Equipment hoarding is overstated, and is not actually a problem at all.
24%

Total votes: 51

Chanele
Champion

Re: Equipment Hoarding

Post by Chanele » 14 Jun 2013 10:11

I really like Zingils suggestion with no limit and a fixed percentage chance for npc to spawn with items. Percentage could change based on killing frequency.

To Kas: that is easy to say for someone who has everything yet need nothing but components to be efficient. I'm sick listening to your defence speech on mages and their powers, to deny this either prooves the point or accentuate your stupidity.

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 14 Jun 2013 12:14

The auction house provides a mechanism against hoarding for no reason. If an item is sufficiently in demand you can sell it for money that will be of more use to you than the item. If someone is still hoarding items they are doing it for a reason and then it's part of the game.

I also agree with Kas that people should perhaps not obsess about specific über items so much. There is plenty of EQ to go around.

But if it's enough of a problem I would suggest a soft cap instead of an absolute limit. Though bear in mind this might be tricky to balance given items save and so on, maybe the system will get too complicated.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 14 Jun 2013 12:42

How about making uber items truly unique? 3 Atlas tridents? Thought the king had only one, THE SoH, THE flaming black broadsword and same with Lorans Gigantic steel, make the truly awsome gear unique, BUT! Remove the non-dulling quality from them and make them just go poof and dissapear when they break so people cant same them and recycle when they can camp the NPC. People are fucking spoiled with awsome gear, they need a reminder about other great stuff that aint top-notch but still more than useable. Perhaps make the NPCs with the uber stuff unspawnable if theire item is in play and put something alittle weaker but shittier geared in theire place untill the item they had breaks. And make items that have been in the rack and completely unused for 2 days despawn and have them return to the NPC its supposed to be on.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 14 Jun 2013 14:21

Kas wrote:Farming x may also be a part of a trade agreement between guilds. Give x to get y and so forth. Sucks for you that someone "stole YOUR" gameitem, but that's just tough luck. Also, a viable tactic. I don't mind grinding with crap found in our cellar if the racks are void of any useful stuff, so I'm sure others can survive a day without their uber item of choice aswell? or have we fallen so low and spoiled that we can't do without?

Seriously.
What if you had to re-mix all your potions every armageddon, one or more of the ingredients are actually drops from monsters ( example is tiny orcs in shire ). You go there but everytime you visit some ogre killed all and cleaned the corpses, even your precious ingredient (tuft of orcish hair) is gone. How long would you grind with whatever you find in your basement?

Apart from that I can only agree with Chanele.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 14 Jun 2013 14:58

OgreToyBoy wrote:
Kas wrote:Farming x may also be a part of a trade agreement between guilds. Give x to get y and so forth. Sucks for you that someone "stole YOUR" gameitem, but that's just tough luck. Also, a viable tactic. I don't mind grinding with crap found in our cellar if the racks are void of any useful stuff, so I'm sure others can survive a day without their uber item of choice aswell? or have we fallen so low and spoiled that we can't do without?

Seriously.
What if you had to re-mix all your potions every armageddon, one or more of the ingredients are actually drops from monsters ( example is tiny orcs in shire ). You go there but everytime you visit some ogre killed all and cleaned the corpses, even your precious ingredient (tuft of orcish hair) is gone. How long would you grind with whatever you find in your basement?

Apart from that I can only agree with Chanele.
Do you think this is a perfect analogy? It's a potential false dichotomy unless; I can find such a component, or similar elsewhere in other abundances, and the effect of my spell has the potential to last a whole armageddon and maybe even save over. There is a chance that I can't find that component (or substitutes for this during this entire armageddon), but then I can failsafe and go to the basement and still function. A set of bubbagear and some items of unlimited abundances can be fine substitutes when everything else fails.

Not as efficient, but it works because; Not playing means 0 progress, and if it's all about the progress, Some progress beats no progress, even if it's bitter to think that you could have better at that particular period of time.
Last edited by Kas on 14 Jun 2013 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 14 Jun 2013 16:03

As someone who is part of a guild that requires a LOT of equipment to go out hunting... (Specific types of armours, sword, knife, and then flinging knives) .... While I appreciate good armour or equipment.. I'm totally content with "basement options". Keeping items from other people is part of the game. There is enough good equipment to go around, especially with imbuements to go around. Often times, I can make better items with imbues than I could with " Uber gear" or options from the auction house.

I will say... I do actually like the idea that magic uber gear items dust after broken... Instead of people being able to recycle and then sit and wait for respawn.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 14 Jun 2013 16:19

Chanele wrote:I really like Zingils suggestion with no limit and a fixed percentage chance for npc to spawn with items. Percentage could change based on killing frequency.

To Kas: that is easy to say for someone who has everything yet need nothing but components to be efficient. I'm sick listening to your defence speech on mages and their powers, to deny this either prooves the point or accentuate your stupidity.
Your claim is meaningless without a definition of 'efficient'. I'm pretty sure my definition derives differently than yours in many ways, but grinding naked and without weapons sounds to me like a looot of downtime, regardless of method.

Also, my post was not about mages or their capacity. I was speaking generally, even if I used the 'basement' as an example. Replace it with smithgear, bubba etc if you will.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 14 Jun 2013 16:37

Kitriana wrote:As someone who is part of a guild that requires a LOT of equipment to go out hunting... (Specific types of armours, sword, knife, and then flinging knives) .... While I appreciate good armour or equipment.. I'm totally content with "basement options". Keeping items from other people is part of the game. There is enough good equipment to go around, especially with imbuements to go around. Often times, I can make better items with imbues than I could with " Uber gear" or options from the auction house.

I will say... I do actually like the idea that magic uber gear items dust after broken... Instead of people being able to recycle and then sit and wait for respawn.
I agree on magical stuff dusting aswell. I also understand the underlying sentiment of hoarding gear in rack X do have an actual effect on how many players that bothers to play the game (even If I don't necessarily agree on it, hence my words about spoiled etc).

If there should be any changes, the good old xx% dropchance for an item (without limits) would probably be the best way to go, but people camping a spawn would still be a part of the game.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 16 Jun 2013 16:46

This is a topic brought up because of someone's irritation that one guild had 3 ruined and another had four. Get over it. As it stands there is an abundance of magic gear and/or good protective gear in the game thatis available at all times on npc. For example I see players who are "gear hoarders" wearing great black skulls, feathered headdresses, golden-winged dragon helms, xxx dragonscales, ancient mithril chainmails, sturdy black greaves/bracers, tempered greaves/bracers, blackened steel greaves/bracers, black robes, hooded silvery robes, heavy canvas robes, dragon turtle shells, steel tower shields. They could wield green steel long swords, thin green sabers, blackened whips, three headed iron flails, sleek steel-bladed poleaxes, tempered spears, dragon teeth and bones ( which are laying around all over. That's a small list of gear that Npcs in genesis ALWAYS have on them. The person who raised the topic was a barely rising hero bent out of shape that he couldn't get a runie. Mates tend to have all the black-gem rings every Armageddon. They deserve them because for the better part of 4-5 days each renewal at least one of them spends hours upon hours camped out at the dragon. You changing the system won't affect this. If you change it to where unused gear deteriorates and vanishes that is frustrating. People don't like having just one runie. Why? Because they break to easily. If someone gets an item 3 days into Armageddon that saves its probably going to sit in their rack until the next one. Why? Because saving gear is not that common and many people after a reboot have very little to work with. If gear vanished after unuse that item would be gone simply because so,eme wished to preserve it until the following renewal. Yes people tend to hoarde gear but as laurel said. There are SOHs in the auction house among other top gear if people just spend. Fix the recoded, get what other shit done you've promised people for years and then address the issue. If you haven't noticed yournpopulation is hovering at twenty people at peak times. Put your effort into so,etching useful. And if you want another demonstration ill sow ou how a rising hero can get all the gear I mentioned above.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 16 Jun 2013 16:50

Also gear hoarding of things people don't use did you ever think is inadvertent in the person kills a foe as a regular part of do run and just happens to acquire those weapons to? Maybe if someone asks people for items they'd give them out. But I've never received a hey got any extra Polearms mail?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/