Hoarding

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
User avatar
gorboth
Site Admin
Posts: 2306
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Location: Some old coffin

Re: Hoarding

Post by gorboth » 10 Mar 2015 06:20

Mersereau wrote:Of course you could actually make the game fun and remove some of these silly item limits.
Limitation is the mother of invention, no? Or, in this case, special occasions. If, upon every login, you get to have exactly the perfect weapons and armours, what would ever distinguish one login from the next? What would constitute a special occasion? If every person who logs in should be guaranteed the best items in the game every time, with very little effort, what would ever constitute a distinctive experience that makes you excited and feeling lucky? Is it "fun" to have filet mignon for dinner every night? No, it becomes boring. What is fun is when you get filet mignon after many nights in a row of lentil soup. The extravagant and rare meal becomes a memorable experience to be relished and longed for on the next rare and lucky night.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

User avatar
Mersereau
Champion
Posts: 561
Joined: 05 Mar 2010 01:05
Contact:

Re: Hoarding

Post by Mersereau » 10 Mar 2015 09:00

gorboth wrote:
Mersereau wrote:Of course you could actually make the game fun and remove some of these silly item limits.
Limitation is the mother of invention, no? Or, in this case, special occasions. If, upon every login, you get to have exactly the perfect weapons and armours, what would ever distinguish one login from the next? What would constitute a special occasion? If every person who logs in should be guaranteed the best items in the game every time, with very little effort, what would ever constitute a distinctive experience that makes you excited and feeling lucky? Is it "fun" to have filet mignon for dinner every night? No, it becomes boring. What is fun is when you get filet mignon after many nights in a row of lentil soup. The extravagant and rare meal becomes a memorable experience to be relished and longed for on the next rare and lucky night.

G.
I am limited at work. I should not be limited in my fun. Gaming should not be work. Gaming is should be fun.

If every time I walk into a restaurant they have run out of filet mignon when I want it, I will find another restaurant. If I can only get what the restaurant wants me to have and not what is on the menu that establishment will not last long.

Item limits have been one of the dumbest ideas in the game.

A better idea is to give an NPC a percentage chance of spawning a special item. There is still hope then one can obtain equipment. If an NPC has a 1% chance of generating a Holy Crystal Axe, it still gives players an opportunity. If all the Holy Crystal Axes have been limited to 1 axe in the realm, and someone else has that axe the player has NO opportunity. He has no incentive to even remain logged in, because there is no chance he will obtain that item.

The game is getting more players. This is good. The game was dead for a long time because Genesis was no fun. It was work. Players want to have fun and not feel hamstrung. If you stick with the antiquated notion that it's a bad thing for players to want to be able to have opportunities to enjoy the game once again, people will leave again.

Quit living in the stone age of gaming. Start learning from why the population left. Player retention should be just as important as recruitment.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

User avatar
gorboth
Site Admin
Posts: 2306
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Location: Some old coffin

Re: Hoarding

Post by gorboth » 10 Mar 2015 09:31

Ah, Mersereau, I actually think we're on the same page, here. Cotillion's test aims at very much what you refer to here.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

User avatar
Kas
Legend
Posts: 771
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 17:54

Re: Hoarding

Post by Kas » 10 Mar 2015 10:08

It may sound tedious or even weird, but I personally found camping for items with low/certain dropchance a challenge/fun. The dropchance itself limits the presence of the item in the gameworld and really need no further limitations.

If you know the spawnrate and the percentchance of the drop, you can easily predict the average number of items expected to be present in the gameworld at any given time if the npc is slain the second it pops.

It's sufficient enough as a limiting factor. :)
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

User avatar
cotillion
Site Admin
Posts: 326
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 01:14

Re: Hoarding

Post by cotillion » 10 Mar 2015 11:36

Mersereau wrote: A better idea is to give an NPC a percentage chance of spawning a special item. There is still hope then one can obtain equipment. If an NPC has a 1% chance of generating a Holy Crystal Axe, it still gives players an opportunity. If all the Holy Crystal Axes have been limited to 1 axe in the realm, and someone else has that axe the player has NO opportunity. He has no incentive to even remain logged in, because there is no chance he will obtain that item.
This is pretty much exactly the idea.
There are no longer any hard limits. The old limits are used to calculate the new drop chances.

Laurel

Re: Hoarding

Post by Laurel » 10 Mar 2015 12:04

CHANGES! LIKE!

Chanele
Titan
Posts: 516
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 12:39

Re: Hoarding

Post by Chanele » 10 Mar 2015 12:09

cotillion wrote:
Mersereau wrote: A better idea is to give an NPC a percentage chance of spawning a special item. There is still hope then one can obtain equipment. If an NPC has a 1% chance of generating a Holy Crystal Axe, it still gives players an opportunity. If all the Holy Crystal Axes have been limited to 1 axe in the realm, and someone else has that axe the player has NO opportunity. He has no incentive to even remain logged in, because there is no chance he will obtain that item.
This is pretty much exactly the idea.
There are no longer any hard limits. The old limits are used to calculate the new drop chances.
We'll have to see how this plays out though, the numbers might need some tweak. But I guess you will evaluate the result. Good work Wizards!

User avatar
Zhar
Wizard
Posts: 887
Joined: 17 Apr 2012 12:09

Re: Hoarding

Post by Zhar » 10 Mar 2015 12:51

Any change that'll make people run around in death's chainmails, ancient greaves and wielding splendid swords again is a good change :)
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Kvator
Champion
Posts: 586
Joined: 02 Sep 2010 21:25

Re: Hoarding

Post by Kvator » 10 Mar 2015 13:25

Zhar wrote:
cotillion wrote: Unfortunately it seems a huge number of items have been made non breaking.
Personally I think that there's nothing inherently wrong with non-breaking items as long as it is their only distinguishing feature. The problem stems from non-breaking/non-dulling items also being top notch enchanted items. If they were simply good (but not great) items the problem would go away.
agree here! please leave my holy blades! <3 :geek: :ugeek:

Icarus
Veteran
Posts: 244
Joined: 04 Dec 2012 20:54

Re: Hoarding

Post by Icarus » 10 Mar 2015 14:01

Kas wrote:It may sound tedious or even weird, but I personally found camping for items with low/certain dropchance a challenge/fun. The dropchance itself limits the presence of the item in the gameworld and really need no further limitations.

If you know the spawnrate and the percentchance of the drop, you can easily predict the average number of items expected to be present in the gameworld at any given time if the npc is slain the second it pops.

It's sufficient enough as a limiting factor. :)
Well, Kas, now you can do this even more; Now, even if the limit of said item has been reached and is located in the racks in the Tower, you can still get more! Yay, perfect for you :)
Flee you fools!

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/