Imbuements and balance

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gold bezie
Expert

Imbuements and balance

Post by gold bezie » 09 Nov 2018 21:00

Hello all and especially the wizards,

I was wondering now after the recent changes and our weapons and armours stay with us, if the wizards have thought of the consequences this has on the imbuements and the balance in the realms...

Now a lot of useful imbuements are waisted on monks, since we dont wield weapons. For example fireslay, since it is only useful on weapons and not on armours.
The fireslay imbuements doesnt make sense to me. After all we hit with our fists and feet.

But now the situation is even more unbalanced. There are weapons in the realms that cannot dull and therefor imbueing them means they are imbued forever.
All armour break eventually.

Now there are a lot of solutions for this, but first i really am curious if the problem im talking about is known and agreed on :)
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Imbuements and balance

Post by gorboth » 09 Nov 2018 21:46

Yes, and wizards also feel this will not do. The generally agreed-upon solution that we are eventually looking to implement will be to either:
  • Remove the non-breaking property from all weapons (and the imbuement that does this)
... or ...
  • Make it so that no-dull/break items cannot save
We are still determining which direction to go, so thanks for your patience. We agree the current situation is not acceptable for game design going forward.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Dorrien
Adventurer

Post by Dorrien » 09 Nov 2018 23:00

So what happens to the time, plats and stones put into the non-breaking items? There are a large amount of serrated obsidian halberds, azure longswords and holy blades out there with imbues that are now potentially a waste in 13 days... Will there be a full reimbursement for the loss of imbues, stones combined etc? I do not speak for the Realm but I figure there are MANY people who would not have moved forward with certain decisions if they had known that the items will not save or they will break. Would have been nice to know at the get go or not have implemented the global equipment change until more thought was put into it.

At this point all this does is remove racks from being necessary component to retain equipment safely and allows players to quit out faster. Gear will all break or will not save if it cannot break, therefore we are just walking racks now and are not encouraging guild interaction as much... I don't have to return this gear so why do I even need to go home? I will just start in the Sparkle Church, see you around guildmmates.

Regarding the DO being cut out of imbues, can you not imbue leather cesti, brass knuckles and polished claws in order to get access those imbuments? I do realize all of the items I listed break.

gold bezie
Expert

Post by gold bezie » 09 Nov 2018 23:12

Thank you Gorboth.
And for the idea's of Dorrien about the fireslay imbuements, i agree. Maybe shoes/boots or gloves combinated with the idea that Watcher shared with some wizards.

Im sure there will be a lot of details that need to be figured out, like the things Dorrien mentioned, but im glad that you are thinking of how to solve the issue.

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 09 Nov 2018 23:45

Dorrien wrote:So what happens to the time, plats and stones put into the non-breaking items? There are a large amount of serrated obsidian halberds, azure longswords and holy blades out there with imbues that are now potentially a waste in 13 days... Will there be a full reimbursement for the loss of imbues, stones combined etc? I do not speak for the Realm but I figure there are MANY people who would not have moved forward with certain decisions if they had known that the items will not save or they will break. Would have been nice to know at the get go or not have implemented the global equipment change until more thought was put into it.
since the change, I've been operating in "expect the worst" mode with regard to unbreakable items. I imbued a crystal axe but any day now I expect it to fall apart on me (or be taken from my corpse :P but that's a different discussion).
those who thought things would stay like this are foolishly optimistic.. the gamble is when - not if - something will be done to try to bring balance.

Shanoga
Wizard

Post by Shanoga » 10 Nov 2018 00:01

Dorrien wrote:So what happens to the time, plats and stones put into the non-breaking items? There are a large amount of serrated obsidian halberds, azure longswords and holy blades out there with imbues that are now potentially a waste in 13 days... Will there be a full reimbursement for the loss of imbues, stones combined etc? I do not speak for the Realm but I figure there are MANY people who would not have moved forward with certain decisions if they had known that the items will not save or they will break. Would have been nice to know at the get go or not have implemented the global equipment change until more thought was put into it.

At this point all this does is remove racks from being necessary component to retain equipment safely and allows players to quit out faster. Gear will all break or will not save if it cannot break, therefore we are just walking racks now and are not encouraging guild interaction as much... I don't have to return this gear so why do I even need to go home? I will just start in the Sparkle Church, see you around guildmmates.

Regarding the DO being cut out of imbues, can you not imbue leather cesti, brass knuckles and polished claws in order to get access those imbuments? I do realize all of the items I listed break.
I don't want to diminish your concerns, but I also want to quote part of the original COMMON board post regarding this change:
Gorboth (via COMMON board) wrote:The way gear is handled in the game will need to be reconsidered by players on an individual and guild level. It will be interesting to see what develops, and we are fairly certain that issues will arise that necessitate further tweaks to get the system where we want it for good gameplay. In that regard, we ask for patience and help from the players who experience problems. Please mail me about the issues you are experiencing so we can correct problems we feel must be addressed.
As Raelle mentioned, there was no promised certainty for how things would end up with this change. Change happens slowly and data, experience, and reports need to be gathered so that any further changes can continue to be measured and intentional.

Additionally, anyone who put their effort and money into these unbreakable items has already reaped FAR more benefit than they would have otherwise had their not been a change - it's not like the money was thrown away. I do agree that the perceived value might, in the end, be less than originally expected.

Goldbezie - have you ever attempted to use fireslay imbues (for example) on a pair of gloves to know whether or not it works? I know in my time as a monk I was always curious but never actually tested it myself. As far as I know, no others have tested it either - but I could be wrong.

Dorrien
Adventurer

Post by Dorrien » 10 Nov 2018 00:24

Indeed indeed, I am guilty of not reading the original post (shame on me). After some more thought, is the option of making non-breaking items 'unimbuable' something worth considering? In essence, it already has an intense ironstone on it, as it does not break. It would be nice to be able to at least get the stones fully reimbursed (i.e. intense imbue = glittering stone, not ordinary).

gold bezie
Expert

Post by gold bezie » 10 Nov 2018 01:05

@shanoga i havent tried it, this because well, its armour.... Id rather know first before i would imbue it.. im not rich ;)

Daerin
Apprentice

Post by Daerin » 10 Nov 2018 08:32

Even if you could imbue your gloves and they would work as a weapon you still get half your hits with your feet so it still wouldn't be as effective as a weapon.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 10 Nov 2018 09:49

gorboth wrote:Yes, and wizards also feel this will not do. The generally agreed-upon solution that we are eventually looking to implement will be to either:
  • Remove the non-breaking property from all weapons (and the imbuement that does this)
... or ...
  • Make it so that no-dull/break items cannot save
We are still determining which direction to go, so thanks for your patience. We agree the current situation is not acceptable for game design going forward.

G.

The issue is people will just shove glittering ironstones into items and I know some people that are fully or almost fully settet with it, thing is that since they earned the imbue they should be allowed.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/