time to evaluate the perma-everything change?

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

What should be done about the current state of affairs, in which everything saves until it breaks?

Keep it just as it is - perfect.
53%
Go back to the way things used to be.
22%
Find some kind of middle ground.
25%

Total votes: 51

Luma
Adept

Re: time to evaluate the perma-everything change?

Post by Luma » 02 Dec 2018 18:42

I don't know if Gorboth has any pre/post playtime graphs, but I also find myself playing much more than before with this change. Additionally, I disagree that this change made guild racks useless, on the contrary, it makes contributions to them even more significant. Any contributed items remain in the racks for quite some time, being used by multiple members, and allowing the guild as a whole to be more productive. Keeping your hard earned stuff safe should not be the reward for being in an accountable guild, having an expansive formidable armory is the reward for being in an accountable guild.

I recently convinced an IRL friend to start playing, and she has loved it, even commenting that the flexibility of being able to quit at any time lets her play during short breaks of time to complete smaller quests. She completed Tutori in about a day and is making her way through the Sparkle quests. I was introduced to Genesis by some IRL friends, and none of them made it past Tutori Isle because of the non-saving equipment, partly because it was unexpected/ill-explained, and partly because it was a function of the game that made playing very difficult and unnecessarily time-consuming.

A growing community will only help us, and considering newbies that leave because of a game function never valuable in the first place, is wrong. I don't think anyone wants to play in a game with no one else in it, that's why changes were made to make the game more newbie friendly, and that's why there are so many new players who end up sticking around.

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 02 Dec 2018 23:08

I'll drop my 2 cc:
I love this change, it has some problems but it is great anyways.

It solves some of problems that I always annoyed me:
- Time to get items from racks, choosing right equip from racks always seemed as waste of time to me.
- Appraising every piece of equip from racks to prioritize usage of not saving equip also seemed silly.
- Ability to log out anywhere, anytime helps my playing lifestyle.
- Ability to go LD for meeting and not be horrified if it starts to take more than 2 hours
- It removes permanent need of equip hunting especially for guilds with poor racks.
- Imbuements are huge investment and for occasional player it was not used. Let say I play one day a week. Imbuing item was kind of useless, because maximum you can use it for three days.

Multiple successful games have perm-equip. And gives different perspective on game.
We didn't have stage of gathering RIGHT set of equipment. Not on individual level, not on guild level.
I'll explain a bit more about that:
- Right now players may have equipment sets for specific areas, even if they don't go there a lot.
- People can tweak their equipment for stealth or for quests.
- Guilds may prepare equipment sets for future wars: against specific race, against mages, against specific features.

Some other notes:
- Racks are still important parts of the game and some guilds still worry about getting the best equipment.
- Argument of teaming for equipment is pretty silly. I know only few equipment pieces that cannot be obtained alone.
- Lockers won't ease my pain points.

Two problems that I still see with current system:
- Unbreaking equipment is really forever. (which I don't mind at all, I even praise it)
- There are imbuements that are useful for people who are not tanking, or not even fighting.

But for me, I feel much more comfortable playing and enjoying it much more.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 03 Dec 2018 21:47

What I have read here has convinced me that we are on the right path. Lockers are not going to be better than what we have for the overall game. Hearing from multiple people that they play MORE and look forward to it ... well, that isn't the only thing that matters, but it matters.

We still have work to do to tweak the system toward better balance and design, but I am pleased.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 03 Dec 2018 23:33

gorboth wrote:What I have read here has convinced me that we are on the right path. Lockers are not going to be better than what we have for the overall game. Hearing from multiple people that they play MORE and look forward to it ... well, that isn't the only thing that matters, but it matters.

We still have work to do to tweak the system toward better balance and design, but I am pleased.

G.
It's pretty perfect right now. I'm sure slight tweaks are needed and will happen, though.

Anfalas
Wanderer

Post by Anfalas » 03 Dec 2018 23:47

It's nice not having to constantly be on the lookout for gear. Almost every single guild I've been in, it's always been that way. Whether you lost most top end items after armageddon so it's a constant grind to get a new one. Or the one you finally managed to get does not glow so you're on the prowl for one that does.... You finally got a glowing one, but now it's stuck at fine/a little worn down. It was always a vicious cycle. Or you finally got the perfect one, had to log for the night, and then someone else always managed to beat you to the racks whenever you wanted to play.

Add on having to return everything to the racks when you went to log and spend a few minutes going through the racks when you logged in. Assuming you were in a guild that had good racks.

The current system is WAY better. It isn't a constant gear grind now. I don't have to spend majority of my time on it. The only issue, which is quite evident and will change is how unbreakable items work. I'd also suggest looking at situations where something will not degrade much/if at all because a weapon isn't be swung, or an armour is not getting hit.

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 04 Dec 2018 01:18

gorboth wrote:What I have read here has convinced me that we are on the right path.
So can we ironstone our gear now, assured that it will not be taken away by some future change?

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 04 Dec 2018 01:58

gorboth wrote:... on the right path....

... still have work to do ... tweak the system ... better balance and design ....
Syrk wrote:So can we ironstone our gear now, assured that it will not be taken away by some future change?
gonna guess that's a no

Anfalas
Wanderer

Post by Anfalas » 04 Dec 2018 03:33

Raelle wrote:

... still have work to do ... tweak the system ... better balance and design ....
Syrk wrote:So can we ironstone our gear now, assured that it will not be taken away by some future change?
gonna guess that's a no
Based on previous comments by various wizards/admin, I'd have to agree with Raelle. Imbue items at your own risk at this point still.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 04 Dec 2018 04:59

Raelle wrote:

gonna guess that's a no
Be assured it's a no. We've been pretty clear that there are elements we will want to change. It is just a matter of how we change it and when.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 04 Dec 2018 19:07

I plan on eventually removing ironstones entirely. Those who have invested in iron stones - when the time comes, I will allow you a straight conversion to any other imbuestone of your choice.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/