Weapons & armours transparency

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rincon
Great Adventurer

Weapons & armours transparency

Post by Rincon » 17 Feb 2020 15:59

Similar to Tarlok's idea, I think it would be nice if players could get some in-game information on how do weapons and armours actually work.

Right now we can see that eg.
The axe can be wielded in the right hand. It can be used to slash.
But how does slashing damage actually work? Is it better against foes armoured in platemail/chain mail/splint mail, etc.?

My guess is that bludgeoning weapons are better against undead (at least this applies to undead in Palanthas). What about other weapons?

Some weapons deal different types of damage. Do armours in genesis offer better protection against different types of damage? If so, can we get some in-game information? If not, why do weapons deal different type of damage? Is it just a cosmetic discription and does not have any meaning combat wise?

Vyasa
Wizard

Re: Weapons & armours transparency

Post by Vyasa » 17 Feb 2020 19:15

Please keep these ideas coming. I'm taking notes to discuss within the wiz community afterwards.

This all is not falling on deaf ears. They are good and valid ideas that I strongly believe would help the game.
Curving back within myself I create again and again.

Anfalas
Wanderer

Post by Anfalas » 17 Feb 2020 19:21

We do have the compare <item 1> with <item2> for trying to determine whether an item is better than another. Perhaps expanding on that system might be easier?

There are a lot of challenges with the current compare system and it could definitely be retooled quite a bit.

Okotok
Wanderer

Post by Okotok » 17 Feb 2020 20:07

What if we added a quantitative (numerical) measure of a weapons damage/hitroll? That could make things a lot easier and a lot more exciting, mostly because random weapons we pick up or loot have an actual tangible worth and damage. Another thing that's been mentioned in these "transparency" threads is that some older, bigger players have all the inside intel on how all the best weapons work. If this is implemented, anyone could find a worthwhile weapon, not just a select few of people.
Games like Diablo III do this particularly well:
Attachments
E9687874-BF31-4563-A2AF-3F2E507E001A_4_5005_c.jpeg
E9687874-BF31-4563-A2AF-3F2E507E001A_4_5005_c.jpeg (21.7 KiB) Viewed 5829 times

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 18 Feb 2020 05:13

I am not going to be the Keeper that goes down in history as the one who brought numbers to Genesis! :) Other than that, I agree we could be a little more informative about many things. However, I do think there is a charm to player-created lists based on their own tests, passed-down knowledge, and guild literature as well. I find most older players are happy to share what they know about weapons and armours as well, so, it does gives you reason to socialize a little too. I don't think only a select few people have good EQ, or know what good EQ is. Looks to me like new players pick that up fairly quick?

I do agree that we could become better at explaining HOW damage works though, which different kinds of damage there is, hit locations, and things like that.

Poultry
Apprentice

Post by Poultry » 11 Apr 2020 01:43

Re: Cherek

Yes. Keep the numbers out!

--P

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 13 Apr 2020 16:52

Historically a big charm of Genesis was the fact that it avoids numbers wherever possible (if you want numbers go play a Diku MUD). I agree however that there perhaps should be more information given out about equipment, perhaps with blacksmith inspect.

And to answer the OP I think I won't reveal too much of an internal workings of the game if I say that armours can have different resistances to different damage types (the same armour can work better against piercing than slashing damage for example). It is however completely reliant on the whims of whoever coded said item. That's why I mentioned smith inspect that could possibly get this information to the players in the form of descriptions like that:

Code: Select all

This armour looks like it would be very good at protecting you from slashing attacks.
This armour looks like it would be rather ineffective against piercing attacks.
This could potentially create an interesting meta-game where people would choose specific gear for specific areas (not just resists for dragon breath etc.).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 17 Apr 2020 12:50

This could potentially create an interesting meta-game where people would choose specific gear for specific areas (not just resists for dragon breath etc.).
Specific areas or specific players ;)

Yes, this is what I had in mind by creating this thread. I believe that the armours worn by goblin shamans in Sparkle have these kind of discriptions.

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 17 Apr 2020 12:56

The number of items with these values set correctly is disappointingly low.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 17 Apr 2020 16:51

cotillion wrote:
17 Apr 2020 12:56
The number of items with these values set correctly is disappointingly low.
I think that's also because the variance allowed is terribly low. Like + or - 3 ac.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/