Dulling vs undulling weapons and more.

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
nils
Titan

Re: Dulling vs undulling weapons and more.

Post by nils » 23 May 2020 14:02

Alisa wrote:
23 May 2020 13:43
We may not agree on the need for more weapons (I am biased, i know) but we certainly agree on the durability for armours.
Don't tell me - you're one of those casters who without penalty or any kind of drawback can toss spells in close combat wearing a full body suit of heavy metal while not at all reflecting on how this compares to the elven archers who, short of spells, have massive restrictions on what armours they can utilize?
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 23 May 2020 14:38

One other crazy idea to consider. What if all the non-magic items were made non-dull and foreversave?

Kind of reversing the trend here but bear with me for a moment. If we did that you could just grab whatever regular weapons/armours (Bubba anyone?) and grind with them forever. Magic items like FBB etc. would then become a limited time power increase, making them more valuable overall.

I am thinking here of a situation where when you're smaller you don't have to worry about your eq going poof so much and as you grow bigger you get access to those awesome items. It would also make more sense then to put your imbuements on regular stuff rather than powerful artifacts (my personal opinion is that it shouldn't be possible to imbue magic items in the first place, conflicting energies and such).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 23 May 2020 16:02

nils wrote:
23 May 2020 14:02
Alisa wrote:
23 May 2020 13:43
We may not agree on the need for more weapons (I am biased, i know) but we certainly agree on the durability for armours.
Don't tell me - you're one of those casters who without penalty or any kind of drawback can toss spells in close combat wearing a full body suit of heavy metal while not at all reflecting on how this compares to the elven archers who, short of spells, have massive restrictions on what armours they can utilize?
You're derailing, but ok.
Why didn't you point out that casters get nothing from weapons, as an argument about why i don't feel we need more weapons?
A cleric, for me, is in fullplate with a mace in hands. Image curtesy of Dungeons and Dragons.

I see three arguments in the thread.

1: We need better weapons - I disagree

2: We need more use of, and/or droprates for weapons - I agree.

3: We need more use of, and/or droprates for armours - I agree.

Spending 10-15 hours finding a weapon/armour that lasts for 2-4 hours is quite annoying.

Poultry
Apprentice

Post by Poultry » 24 May 2020 07:38

My two coppers is that there should be NO nondulling weapons and NO nondamaging armours. I get frustrated when I get some nice armours--especially imbued ones--and they only last a few days, but such is life.

I would also point out that many of the nondulling weapons, such as the HSC and FBB, were introduced when Armageddon happened every four hours, not every 2 weeks. It's quite a different equation now.

Would I love a black grand breastplate and pair of red runed greaves that lasted for an entire armageddon? Hell yes. Is it good for the game? I don't think so. I wouldn't be opposed, however, to them getting damaged just a little less often.

Okotok
Wanderer

Post by Okotok » 25 May 2020 02:11

Zhar wrote:
23 May 2020 14:38
One other crazy idea to consider. What if all the non-magic items were made non-dull and foreversave?

Kind of reversing the trend here but bear with me for a moment. If we did that you could just grab whatever regular weapons/armours (Bubba anyone?) and grind with them forever. Magic items like FBB etc. would then become a limited time power increase, making them more valuable overall.

I am thinking here of a situation where when you're smaller you don't have to worry about your eq going poof so much and as you grow bigger you get access to those awesome items. It would also make more sense then to put your imbuements on regular stuff rather than powerful artifacts (my personal opinion is that it shouldn't be possible to imbue magic items in the first place, conflicting energies and such).
I like this idea!

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 25 May 2020 08:44

cotillion wrote:
23 May 2020 13:50
The addition of teleport to player selected destinations was really a great idea...
So there are guilds who has teleport to their own selected area? For real?And they can bring team mates?
Who do I need to be friends with to have such things slip through the filter?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 25 May 2020 13:06

Chanele wrote:
25 May 2020 08:44
cotillion wrote:
23 May 2020 13:50
The addition of teleport to player selected destinations was really a great idea...
So there are guilds who has teleport to their own selected area? For real?And they can bring team mates?
Who do I need to be friends with to have such things slip through the filter?
This thread is about dulling vs undulling weapons. If you want to discuss teleportation, please start a new thread so this one doesn't derail too. And if you want a serious answer, probably best to leave skip the groundless accusations.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 25 May 2020 13:51

The points have been made, the Arch of Balance has replied.

What happens now?
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 26 May 2020 05:44

nils wrote:
25 May 2020 13:51
The points have been made, the Arch of Balance has replied.

What happens now?
So, they get added to the AoB team's to-do list.

For me my number one focus is re-writing the damage formula for the magic system. From root to branch. There is going to be changes from how spell success works, how stats and skills impact damage, all the way through to how magic resistance works. Anyway where I am at with that is the new formula has been circulated and reviewed by others on the admin. I need to do further tests on it. Then document the changes for the wizard community and then update help files/docs for mortals so it is clearer how the magic damage system works. Update some outlier spells for certain guilds, update some impacted objects, and roll out the changes.

After that I'll review how dulling works and do some iterative conservative tweaks and monitor.

For Cot, his current focus is updating how stealth works. Reviewing item cloning is on his to-do list after that.

Okotok
Wanderer

Post by Okotok » 27 May 2020 04:50

Looking forward to it :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/