1h vs 2h & Dual Wielding

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Tarlok
Apprentice

1h vs 2h & Dual Wielding

Post by Tarlok » 22 May 2020 21:53

Since my return to almost 2 years ago now, it seems 1 handers have completely fallen out of favor. This is especially unfortunate for those guilds thematically or code restricted to use them. As more powerful 2 hand weapons have been created in the last 10 years it seems the response I've heard is just use a two-hander its better anyways.

I think this is poor game design for three reasons:
1) Acquiring two quality 1h's is often more time consuming than getting a single 2h.
2) Specials with 2 1h's are less effective than a single 2h due to standardized special system code.
3) Fighting with 2 1h's drains fatigue faster than single 2h.

I would personally like to see two quality 1h be the top tier dps configuration. And a big slow 2h would be considered the poor mans dps config for those unfortunate enough to be unable to find two quality 1h. How to remedy this? I am not entirely sure. Perhaps the standardized special code could be capped at the quality of a 1h, and everything adjusted up slightly so 2h does the same overall dmg? And please lower the fatigue drain from dual wielding. Perhaps there are better ways to make 1h and dual wielding competitive.

nils
Titan

Re: 1h vs 2h & Dual Wielding

Post by nils » 22 May 2020 22:08

I think a lot of your grievances are void as soon as the special system is adressed. As it is now, special attacks do more than twice as much damage as they're supposed to.

Best described here:
https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewt ... f=2&t=4576

I dread the day though, because I fear the increased weight given to white hits will skew balance towards the few guilds that are able to utilize two weapons without penalty.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Tarlok
Apprentice

Post by Tarlok » 22 May 2020 22:19

Ya I'm well aware of the unintended special attack power and the thread. But I'm a firm believer that the genie cant be put back in the bottle without breaking the will of the players, I dont see it happening.

I suspect fixing 2h vs 1h and dual wield, at least removing the extra fatigue drain would be an easy fix in the interim.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 22 May 2020 22:26

I believe if one could manipulate some global xp-modifier to make experience gained pr hour equal to today, but with slower killing it would effectively make the game much bigger and thus an improvement. Hell, I might even avoid 'evil' mobs all together.

PvP would be a real snooze-fest though.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Tarlok
Apprentice

Post by Tarlok » 22 May 2020 22:42

Steers the thread back to 1h & dual wielding vs 2h

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 23 May 2020 00:37

As far as I know the biggest problem here is indeed with the special system that Nils mentioned. If it were brought back to how it was actually intended most of your damage in combat would come from regular hits, not specials. That's where wielding more weapons would yield better results since with high enough two weapon fighting you would get in an extra attack almost every round.

The fatigue is a real thing that I think will be looked at at some point since I know monks were also complaining about it (they can make up to 4 attacks per round after all, which would be consistent with more attacks = more strain), but don't hold me on that.

Also, please don't treat this answer as anything official. For that you'll have to wait for the AoB to shine more light on the situation and reveal (or not) any potential plans to fix this (or leave it as it is).

Edit: Just keep in mind that "fixing" the specials would have rather dramatic effects on some guilds. Specials that are pure damage would suffer greatly but it would elevate other effects like brawling, plexus, evades etc. by the sheer fact that you would no longer sacrifice so much damage in order to have them.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/