Changes to Equipment

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
sylphan
Veteran
Posts: 230
Joined: 12 Nov 2017 19:56

Re: Changes to Equipment

Post by sylphan » 30 Dec 2020 16:43

Thalric wrote:
30 Dec 2020 12:02
What positive difference will it make if there is a set amount of X item, that will appear at any random time...
Compared to each spawn having a decreasing possibility to have said item, with increased numbers of them?

The first version will always result in fewer items available.
Are you saying that we are now running the second of these two models? Was this change announced, and I missed it?

User avatar
Cherek
Site Admin
Posts: 3179
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:36

Re: Changes to Equipment

Post by Cherek » 30 Dec 2020 18:24

Skythus wrote:
30 Dec 2020 04:25
I'm all for making magic armours more rare. But I'd do that by limiting the amount that can exist at once. For example, x bracers per arma
We had this system before and we changed it because it caused several issues, and something that a lot of players (rightfully) complained about. The main issue in my opinion was that certain players/guilds hogged items for months or even years, making EQ-hunting for these items completely pointless for everyone else.

Once you get hold of ALL copies it's so much easier to keep them and "recycle" them. For example, if you have all five crystal axes, you keep track on their expiry date, and when they are about to expire, you throw them into the Avenir sea, and then go camp the NPC that has it until it spaws with a new copy. Repeat this forever, and you can basically keep all copies of a certain item for as long as you want.

EQ hoarders and/or guilds would also gather every copy of a certain item just to keep it from their enemies, even if they didn't have any use for the item themselves. Not against the rules of course, but not such a fun system either, if you ask me.

The current system, where NPCs always have a percentage chance of spawning with the good stuff, is in my opinion much more fair. There is still a clear advantage to being an EQ-hunter, but everyone has a chance to get something good when killing a boss NPC. With a set limit per armageddon, EQ-hunting will likely be almost pointless for the majority of players, as the EQ-hoarder will quickly claim all available copies, and have a big edge in getting new copies by using the "recycling strategy".

User avatar
Cherek
Site Admin
Posts: 3179
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:36

Re: Changes to Equipment

Post by Cherek » 30 Dec 2020 18:25

Chanele wrote:
30 Dec 2020 03:34
I can buy that reasoning but please remove the randomness in quality if you make it this rare. It should be top notch if you manage to find one.
Are you referring to any specific item, or just top-notch items in general?

User avatar
Skythus
Wanderer
Posts: 72
Joined: 12 Oct 2019 21:59

Re: Changes to Equipment

Post by Skythus » 30 Dec 2020 20:17

I do think that really good mundane armors should be something we can spend our coin on. Currency is essentially frozen labor, and it would give something to blow money on other than imbues, herbs, and bath trips.

Chanele
Titan
Posts: 536
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 12:39

Re: Changes to Equipment

Post by Chanele » 30 Dec 2020 22:13

Cherek wrote:
30 Dec 2020 18:25
Chanele wrote:
30 Dec 2020 03:34
I can buy that reasoning but please remove the randomness in quality if you make it this rare. It should be top notch if you manage to find one.
Are you referring to any specific item, or just top-notch items in general?
Some items spawns with different qualities. If you are lucky you get a good one, if you are me you get a bad one.
The point is, if you make the item rare the randomness should be removed otherwise you need "double" luck. First to actually find the NPC with the item, next roll would be quality....not really fair.

User avatar
cotillion
Site Admin
Posts: 341
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 01:14

Re: Changes to Equipment

Post by cotillion » 30 Dec 2020 22:41

Chanele wrote:
30 Dec 2020 22:13
Cherek wrote:
30 Dec 2020 18:25
Chanele wrote:
30 Dec 2020 03:34
I can buy that reasoning but please remove the randomness in quality if you make it this rare. It should be top notch if you manage to find one.
Are you referring to any specific item, or just top-notch items in general?
Some items spawns with different qualities. If you are lucky you get a good one, if you are me you get a bad one.
The point is, if you make the item rare the randomness should be removed otherwise you need "double" luck. First to actually find the NPC with the item, next roll would be quality....not really fair.
I think random weapon quality is mostly a historic issue. Maybe your weapon was just very scarred by battle?
If you think some item is very random let me know and I'll take a look. Its usually not something we want.

User avatar
Cherek
Site Admin
Posts: 3179
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:36

Re: Changes to Equipment

Post by Cherek » 31 Dec 2020 11:45

Chanele wrote:
30 Dec 2020 22:13
Cherek wrote:
30 Dec 2020 18:25
Chanele wrote:
30 Dec 2020 03:34
I can buy that reasoning but please remove the randomness in quality if you make it this rare. It should be top notch if you manage to find one.
Are you referring to any specific item, or just top-notch items in general?
Some items spawns with different qualities. If you are lucky you get a good one, if you are me you get a bad one.
The point is, if you make the item rare the randomness should be removed otherwise you need "double" luck. First to actually find the NPC with the item, next roll would be quality....not really fair.
Yes, I know some such items exist, and I get what you mean. Just wondered which pariticular item(s) you are referring to. I can think of two on the top of my head... tell me or Cot which ones you suspect are like that. You know where to find us! :)

Snedecor
Wanderer
Posts: 68
Joined: 09 Feb 2015 22:29

Re: Changes to Equipment

Post by Snedecor » 03 Jan 2021 07:35

Personally, I think the changes suck. I have been on three hunting trips for sturdy greaves/bracers raking the forests and have found nothing.

That's not fun. That's just hell. Any tank will run through good armours before they have a chance to get new good armours with this rarity rate. This is forcing people to become EQ hunting drug addicts to be able to maintain their ability to have good gear.

Thalric
Expert
Posts: 254
Joined: 14 Jun 2016 16:34

Re: Changes to Equipment

Post by Thalric » 03 Jan 2021 09:14

Or perhaps it is just forcing people to begin exploring the realms to find alternatives.
People have become too used to have a specific super item, so thinking about anything else doesn't cross their mind.

If you're hungry and can't get the exact thing you want the most, you don't just go back home and starve.
Most people don't, at least.

User avatar
Cherek
Site Admin
Posts: 3179
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:36

Re: Changes to Equipment

Post by Cherek » 03 Jan 2021 13:36

Snedecor wrote:
03 Jan 2021 07:35
Personally, I think the changes suck. I have been on three hunting trips for sturdy greaves/bracers raking the forests and have found nothing.

That's not fun. That's just hell. Any tank will run through good armours before they have a chance to get new good armours with this rarity rate. This is forcing people to become EQ hunting drug addicts to be able to maintain their ability to have good gear.
There are plenty of other greaves/bracers in the game of very good quality. Perhaps go for those instead? I know almost everyone (even including many newbies) have gotten used to always having sturdy bracers/greaves but, honestly, every player should NOT have the best armours at all times. I don't think that's good game design, so, we're not reverting this back to the way it was. Maybe the droprate of some items still need to be tweaked, but Cotillion is monitoring that and will adjust things if we notice something ends up being _too_ rare.

Considering the quality level of the sturdy greaves and bracers, they SHOULD be rare. They never should have been as common as they were. I get that it sucks from a personal perspective, but I that think if you look at the bigger picture, you'll also agree that they were too easy to get before?

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/