Changes to Equipment

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
nils
Titan

Re: Changes to Equipment

Post by nils » 06 Jan 2021 00:18

How about tweaking the mob holding the item instead? Make the items actual rewards for a job well executed, rather than having people slay them over and over and over and over and eventually just.. give up.

Now the only racks you'll find mbp's in are those with teleportation, cause that trip to Emerald for a non-spawning plate?

Bleh, ain't happening.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Jan 2021 02:47

nils wrote:
06 Jan 2021 00:18
How about tweaking the mob holding the item instead? Make the items actual rewards for a job well executed, rather than having people slay them over and over and over and over and eventually just.. give up.

Now the only racks you'll find mbp's in are those with teleportation, cause that trip to Emerald for a non-spawning plate?

Bleh, ain't happening.
Yes, that is the other route to go. Make the really big bosses be Balrog/Nazgul difficulty, and, always have the good stuff. I am not opposed to that solution if someone wants to upgrade some of our bosses. I think that would be more fun in many ways, not only for EQ-hunting, but also for RP and socilizing in general. Obviously not _ALL_ bosses should be super-hard, but those with the absolute best EQ should be truly hard to beat.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 07 Jan 2021 09:40

Cherek wrote:
07 Jan 2021 02:47
nils wrote:
06 Jan 2021 00:18

Bleh, ain't happening.
Yes, that is the other route to go. Make the really big bosses be Balrog/Nazgul difficulty, and, always have the good stuff. I am not opposed to that solution if someone wants to upgrade some of our bosses. I think that would be more fun in many ways, not only for EQ-hunting, but also for RP and socilizing in general. Obviously not _ALL_ bosses should be super-hard, but those with the absolute best EQ should be truly hard to beat.
And truly deadly :)

tor
Apprentice

Post by tor » 12 Jan 2021 05:49

Cherek wrote:
05 Jan 2021 18:49
Good post Tor, I agree with more or less everything in it, and you basically explained my feelings regarding the EQ-uniqueness changes in a better way than I had been able to previously :) The idea of making all big bosses always have _something_ (but not always the top tier stuff) is definitely also a good idea.
Unfortunately, it seems that one of the prime examples I gave of a difficult boss always having a reward has actually been removed recently. The orc captain in Emerald no longer always has a weapon (runed axe, lance, katana, spirit sword, onyx sword, scimitar). Now, these weapons were not top tier and are already considered by most to be a secondary choice. This particular NPC is also quite out of the way and requires 2 boats (or teleportation, or using swimming enhancements) to reach.

Seems an unnecessary change to me and step in the wrong direction. I don't even use any of the weapons he carries so I'm not at all motivated by that, just thinking of others here.

Maybe give him some coin or a stash of gems to make the battle worthwhile for those of us who take the time to take two boats, slay three rooms of guards, and spend the time fighting him?

Tarlok
Apprentice

Post by Tarlok » 20 Jan 2021 04:34

tor wrote:
12 Jan 2021 05:49
Unfortunately, it seems that one of the prime examples I gave of a difficult boss always having a reward has actually been removed recently. The orc captain in Emerald no longer always has a weapon (runed axe, lance, katana, spirit sword, onyx sword, scimitar). Now, these weapons were not top tier and are already considered by most to be a secondary choice. This particular NPC is also quite out of the way and requires 2 boats (or teleportation, or using swimming enhancements) to reach.

Seems an unnecessary change to me and step in the wrong direction. I don't even use any of the weapons he carries so I'm not at all motivated by that, just thinking of others here.
Agreed. Orc captain is a challenging fight for melee characters and he should have a reasonable reward - his weapons were that. I would recommend reverting his loot table. I also recommend blocking teleportation to the island - bypassing all the guards and ships is too much of a benefit for those who can.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 20 Jan 2021 18:54

Quick brainfart here - Does a boss really have to be deadly in order to be viewed as difficult? I mean, in the real world this would certainly be the case, but here? We can discuss size inflation till our heads burst, but killing players in search of equipment regularly screams bad game design to me - unless we're talking about a Souls-game, which we're not.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 21 Jan 2021 13:26

nils wrote:
20 Jan 2021 18:54
Quick brainfart here - Does a boss really have to be deadly in order to be viewed as difficult? I mean, in the real world this would certainly be the case, but here? We can discuss size inflation till our heads burst, but killing players in search of equipment regularly screams bad game design to me - unless we're talking about a Souls-game, which we're not.
No I dont think a boss has to be deadly in order to be rewarding. In my opinion it should be hard to beat, and require players to gather a team, encouraging socializing. I think we need more Balrog-sized bosses that always have something good, but hard enough to kill that they can't be constantly farmed. We could also limit the risk of it being formed by letting it take much longer than usual for it to reappear after being killed?

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 21 Jan 2021 13:35

Cherek wrote:
21 Jan 2021 13:26
nils wrote:
20 Jan 2021 18:54
No I dont think a boss has to be deadly in order to be rewarding. In my opinion it should be hard to beat, and require players to gather a team, encouraging socializing. I think we need more Balrog-sized bosses that always have something good, but hard enough to kill that they can't be constantly farmed. We could also limit the risk of it being formed by letting it take much longer than usual for it to reappear after being killed?
Needs to have rewards worth the time and effort though.
For example the Balrog does not.
Not by a longshot.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 21 Jan 2021 13:42

Amberlee: Yes, that was the whole idea. It would be pretty pointless otherwise.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 21 Jan 2021 15:23

Cherek wrote:
21 Jan 2021 13:42
Amberlee: Yes, that was the whole idea. It would be pretty pointless otherwise.
Well I gave you a pointer on where to start fixing things then :)
And also word of advice.
Simply good equipment with a certain droprate is not really worth it.
For a Balrog size fight, perhaps something for everyone participating in the fight and rather make it perhaps a once to twice per arma thing?
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/