Align restrictions

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Windemere
Expert

Re: Align restrictions

Post by Windemere » 15 Mar 2010 01:51

Actually, pure balance would say yes.

If you look at WoW as an example they have equal (yet different) classes on both sides. Same with most other MMORPGs.

Pure balance in Genesis would have 3 guilds. All with exact same specials (different descriptions) one Good, one Evil, and One Neutral. A perfect special, in my opinion, would be balanced by using a formula which calculates the damage dealt by the player between the firing of the special and deals a % of all of it in one blow. The percentage, obviously, being what people call Combat Aid (heard the word thrown around) and it would be the max combat aid allowed.

This would give you a perfectly balanced game where no one could complain about the other having "better abilities". Of course it would then be up to skill(knowing game mechanics), roleplay, equipment, and size to deal with the differences.

Personally, this is the path I would go. Perhaps 6 guilds, though, 1 Melee each (Evil, Neutral, Good) and 1 magic (Evil, Neutral, and Good.)

Windemere

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 15 Mar 2010 02:23

No matter all the unbalances (minstrels being extremely powerful and good only when they reopened, mercenaries and militia being overstrong when opened, necromancers and their death spells, Angmar guild with members able to withstand three neidars attacking together, titan ogres almost killing myths without problem, etc, etc, etc) I prefer this than a dull 100% balanced game where basically everything is copy/pasted, seen through a mirror. If I wanted that, I would play an offline game.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 15 Mar 2010 03:19

It then becomes the onus of the player to make things interesting. Roleplay, equipment differences, skill of the game.

At least I think,

Windemere

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 15 Mar 2010 07:57

Perhaps the conversations about armour and weapon sets should be reopened. I'd like to think to every good weapon or armour there is, there is some sort of evil only weapon armour that is a viable counter point. For example, holy blade gets countered by a double-edged dagger. Or the angelic helm is countered with a demonic shield. etc.

I know there are alot of weapons and armour currently in existence that specialize in damage or protection for and from certain attacks. If there is a weapon that gives +10 damage for dwarves, then there should be some item that gives +10 armour for goblins. Or maybe +9 or whatever. If we are in a rock paper scissors type of world, it should be applied to items as well.

-b

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 15 Mar 2010 08:02

Windemere wrote:Actually, pure balance would say yes.

If you look at WoW as an example they have equal (yet different) classes on both sides. Same with most other MMORPGs.
Actually WoW don't have equal yet different classes.
They gave up on that, and just let both Alliance & Horde have all classes, because people were complaining about it too much. And most other MMORPGs don't have mirrored classes either.

But what most MMORPGs do try to do, is separate players based on levels, so that you fight against someone your own level and the same amount of players to create equal sides.
Of course there are games that have no restrictions, but funnily enough they keel over and die fairly fast, or shrink and become extreme niche, and then wither (except maybe in Asia where the preferences seem to be slightly different).
Even a game like EVE that thrive on PvP and letting the players create the game as it is, have large portions of the game be safe for those that don't want to PvP, or aren't ready to PvP.

At any rate, the best course of action is probably to create a topic, where people can toss up suggestions for item changes and then give a sound and solid argument for why they think the Wizards should change the alignment on this particular item.
Then when the list is comprehensive, present it in a formatted way, to a wizard and ask them to look in to it.
The less work the Wizard have to do, the more likely they probably are to look into it. :)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 15 Mar 2010 08:07

Makfly wrote:The less work the Wizard have to do, the more likely they probably are to look into it. :)
Amen to that!!!

Lindros

Post by Lindros » 15 Mar 2010 08:52

I might be wrong here, but I dont think people are asking for 1 pro evil item for every pro goodie item, but just somewhat more balance would be nice, right ?

Right now out of the top of my head, I can think of maybe 3-4 evils only items but at least 10+ goodies only items, and to top that of
the pro goodie items are alot more powerful/usefull than the pro evil items.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 15 Mar 2010 15:00

Makfly wrote:At any rate, the best course of action is probably to create a topic, where people can toss up suggestions for item changes and then give a sound and solid argument for why they think the Wizards should change the alignment on this particular item.
Then when the list is comprehensive, present it in a formatted way, to a wizard and ask them to look in to it.
The less work the Wizard have to do, the more likely they probably are to look into it. :)
I was thinking along the same lines. But I am not sure that it should be public.
If the discussion gets heated there is likely to be facts and figures examples, counter examples, flying around and getting very close to pure "wiz info". As much of it coming from the players as the wizs these days.

So I think perhaps the forum should be wizard only with selected players invited to take part on individual threads where they happen to be almost as knowledgeable as the wizards. (If such a thing is doable with phpbb)

I was starting to pen a mail in the game to the AoB about this yesterday but got distracted.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 15 Mar 2010 15:40

Windemere wrote:Actually, pure balance would say yes.

Pure balance in Genesis would have 3 guilds. All with exact same specials (different descriptions) one Good, one Evil, and One Neutral. A perfect special, in my opinion, would be balanced by using a formula which calculates the damage dealt by the player between the firing of the special and deals a % of all of it in one blow. The percentage, obviously, being what people call Combat Aid (heard the word thrown around) and it would be the max combat aid allowed.

This would give you a perfectly balanced game where no one could complain about the other having "better abilities". Of course it would then be up to skill(knowing game mechanics), roleplay, equipment, and size to deal with the differences.

Personally, this is the path I would go. Perhaps 6 guilds, though, 1 Melee each (Evil, Neutral, Good) and 1 magic (Evil, Neutral, and Good.)

Windemere
Even purer :) balance would be: no guilds, no races and no items.
How about that? :mrgreen:

Aeg
Wizard

Post by Aeg » 15 Mar 2010 16:15

I always believed that it was our character's shortcomings that made them interesting characters. If there were 6 guilds (good/evil(F, M, T)), no alignments, ect.. this game would boring.

The best characters have the most restrictions.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/