Sword balance

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Sharn
Expert

Re: Sword balance

Post by Sharn » 16 Mar 2010 16:10

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Azure sword is pretty much amazing by anyone standards.
Tom's sword was fantastic and non dulling, not sure if it changed or not.
Think Elronds sword doesn't dull?
Azure sword is no longer available by the means of repeated solving of the quest as far as I know.

I never used neither Tom's sword nor Elronds. Guess why?
Do you think that I being a knight would kill Elrond, Tom or Qualthas?
But you put those as a weapon for holy knight.

Never tested it, but I believe that if a knight would kill anything good aligned he would be immediately punished (by the code)
Mercy could be used, but its an exploit and I believe it is logged. So knight would get punished for that by the AoP.

Sabre is uber and there is no evil counterpart for it.

I see the following solutions:
1. Remove the sabre from the game.
2. Create an evil counterpart for the sabre. I suggest sword of tears from the dragonlance lore.
Besides, the sabre looks very similiar to the sword of tears :)
3. Make sabre available to get from some other NPC and possible to wield by anyone who can fulfill its other requirements.
By other requirements I mean stats and skills, etc. No alignment (I do not think there is alignment restriction on the sabre) and guild restrictions.

The sabre is great work and fun to use (except the few bugs), so I would prefer the option number 3. so that anyone can have fun with it.
This option would also be easy to implement.

Sabre talks too much for my taste (just like JBS). I prefer my weapons to keep its "mouth" shut.
Last edited by Sharn on 16 Mar 2010 16:33, edited 5 times in total.

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 16 Mar 2010 16:17

Just for the record - knights decided that they are allowed to wield the JBS.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 16 Mar 2010 16:51

sharn wrote:I never used neither Tom's sword nor Elronds. Guess why?
Hmmmm cus the niggets were spoilt for choice???
Just kidding you.
Nice suggestion about sword of Tears. (sounds like the downside could be a bitch, a new JBS gone mad maybe :twisted: )
No pun intended probably?
But quite ironic the suggestion arises out of all my and other evils crying about things :D

Yes the azure has changed (a little), things moving forward but I still see it frequently in hands of Knights and Calians.
So good is killing good to get the gear. And when it comes to UBER gear principles and RP are tested.
U think that the knighthood should rule themselves out of using it now since it comes from aggression against Qualthas?
Guess if the JBS is no longer off limits chances there are zero.

I hate that uppty azure sword, first time i got it and was thinking Ohhhhh! And then OUCH! it burns the hand of an evil trying to wield it.
What is the in depth behind the scenes RP reason for this?
If evil is good at one thing in the lore it is twisting the works of others to their own dark purpose.

So the sword of tears idea is similar to what people have been suggesting for a long time.
But these things take time.
Balance and removing bias that cannot be justified would be quicker.

Remove align bias from Tom's and Azure make a counter version of the holy blade based on wielders align same as crystal axe.
That is what I would ask for in the short term...

What do you say Petros?
Last edited by Tarax the Terrible on 16 Mar 2010 16:56, edited 3 times in total.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 16 Mar 2010 16:54

Tarax the Terrible wrote:
sharn wrote:I never used neither Tom's sword nor Elronds. Guess why?
No pun intended probably?
Har, har :mrgreen:

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 16 Mar 2010 17:03

Tarax the Terrible wrote: Yes the azure has changed (a little), things moving forward but I still see it frequently in hands of Knights and Calians.
Heh I must be spoiled or I used the wrong droproom, but I never have seen the azure sword in knight's rack.

Regarding the holy blade: It is just decent, so I guess that if the counterpart were made the whiners
would whine how much UBER is holy blade compared to its counterpart.

As for the knights killing good aligned NPCs: I doubt it for the reason I mentioned earlier.
I believe those are gathered by allies, donated or from the auctions.
I am not aware of any knight killing good aligned NPC during my years of service.
Actually even killing neutral aligned NPC was sometimes frowned upon.

I used the RMW as a knight a few times but never killed Khaaz. (got it from the auction)

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 16 Mar 2010 17:15

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Remove align bias from Tom's and Azure make a counter version of the holy blade based on wielders align same as crystal axe.

What do you say Petros?
The challenge of doing this isn't simply deciding that it needs to be done, but also giving the thematic reasons behind such a change. Removing alignment basis from quest objects is questionable depending on the original purpose of the weapon. Adding another one to balance it requires an equal opportunity place (npc, etc) to acquire it.

I've always thought getting players involved in building game content together is the best situation between players and wizards. So this is your chance. Think of some creative ways to integrate the changes that you want and I'll work with the correct domain Lieges for these weapons to see if it will be possible.

For example, let's say you want a counter version of the holy blade. Think of a way to twist the holy blade's powers. Maybe bring it to Chemosh's Temple.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 16 Mar 2010 17:19

sharn wrote:I used the RMW as a knight a few times but never killed Khaaz. (got it from the auction)
Sharn - You have his blood on your hands, I hope you are okay with that. :P

Isn't it funny two monks arguing the balance of swords.
I don't doubt the holy blade is just decent, but as I said a decent non duller is rated very highly in the world of long uptimes.
Think how many 00000000's of combat exp that has put in the hands of good aligned over the years since it was introduced.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 16 Mar 2010 17:23

petros wrote:
Tarax the Terrible wrote:Remove align bias from Tom's and Azure make a counter version of the holy blade based on wielders align same as crystal axe.

What do you say Petros?
The challenge of doing this isn't simply deciding that it needs to be done, but also giving the thematic reasons behind such a change. Removing alignment basis from quest objects is questionable depending on the original purpose of the weapon. Adding another one to balance it requires an equal opportunity place (npc, etc) to acquire it.

I've always thought getting players involved in building game content together is the best situation between players and wizards. So this is your chance. Think of some creative ways to integrate the changes that you want and I'll work with the correct domain Lieges for these weapons to see if it will be possible.

For example, let's say you want a counter version of the holy blade. Think of a way to twist the holy blade's powers. Maybe bring it to Chemosh's Temple.
Well I think we will be able to rise to that challenge. :)
First, if possible, I would like to hear the Thematic reasons why those two swords are as they currently are?
I have never been able to do magic identifying but if you tell me that would help I will offer plats to look into it in the game.
Or if there is nothing about why it should be align restricted in identify perhaps we could hear from the wizzies if they are around or their notes.

On the Holy blade I suggested that the temple or Takhisis could be used in the past.
But now we have your ear will be talking it off with more fresh suggestions and not worry what went on before.

I hope it doesn't appear I am simply criticising their great work.
Just very jealous that more people cannot enjoy it. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Tarax the Terrible on 16 Mar 2010 17:30, edited 2 times in total.

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 16 Mar 2010 17:24

Tarax the Terrible wrote:
sharn wrote:I used the RMW as a knight a few times but never killed Khaaz. (got it from the auction)
Sharn - You have his blood on your hands, I hope you are okay with that. :P

Isn't it funny two monks arguing the balance of swords.
I don't doubt the holy blade is just decent, but as I said a decent non duller is rated very highly in the world of long uptimes.
Think how many 00000000's of combat exp that has put in the hands of good aligned over the years since it was introduced.
Har, har. NOW I have it literally on my hands (though I wear gloves).
Not only monk, but I actually am more of a club lover :)
I choose HSC and BSC above ALL the junk we both mentioned any day.
I have to make a confession. Since my angmar days (before they were closed back then) I LOVE THE HSC a true genuine love :D
Last edited by Sharn on 16 Mar 2010 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 16 Mar 2010 17:27

Heh, me too. Clubs rule!

HSC "Its good you have this club!" You Bet!
And the blackened whip, I quit clubs before the BSC was about.
Seeing mercs able to dual wield clubs these days makes me VERY jealous.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/