Sword balance

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Sharn
Expert

Re: Sword balance

Post by Sharn » 16 Mar 2010 17:28

Q: Whats better then HSC?
A: Dual HSC :D

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 16 Mar 2010 17:37

Tarax the Terrible wrote:First, if possible, I would like to hear the Thematic reasons why those two swords are as they currently are?
I have never been able to do magic identifying but if you tell me that would help I will offer plats to look into it in the game.
Or if there is nothing about why it should be align restricted in identify perhaps we could hear from the wizzies if they are around or their notes.
Mail Eowul (Middle Earth Liege) and Navarre (Krynn/Ansalon Liege) and ask them about it. Given the nature of those items, it's best to talk to the Lieges about them. Or, talk to some of the old folks in the game who are most knowledgeable about each domain.
Tarax the Terrible wrote:On the Holy blade I suggested that the temple or Takhisis could be used in the past.
But now we have your ear will be talking it off with more fresh suggestions and not worry what went on before.
I always welcome ideas and suggestions. But given how busy everyone is, we can only deal with high priority items. If the player base deems something to be high priority, I'm sure we can squeeze something in. But the onus is on you guys to show us that it's high priority.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 16 Mar 2010 18:43

[moderator: method of obtaining weapon removed]. Chemosh in Flotsam could work, hand an item over the evil priest to have it restored or in exchange of a blessing[moderator: method of obtaining weapon removed] (or nothing at all if the user is good aligned). Hmm... could be tricky...

[moderator's note: I know this post was a bit gutted. Apologies for that, I tried to keep the essence of the post intact. Please refrain from posting quest or quest-like information. Thanks!]

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 16 Mar 2010 19:58

Hehehe, ok, let me reword it. It doesn't make sense to obtain an evil sword out of the holy blade. If we keep it in Krynn, the Chemosh temple in Flotsam is a good idea. For example, you need to revive an evil warrior to tell you where his sword is. So, you need to find a NPC that carries the skull of the warrior as prize, take it to the temple, get the priest revive him, get him either to tell you where it is or to bless you, and then head to the location to pick it up. Good players could kill the NPC, but wouldn't be able to convince the priest to revive the warrior. And even if that happens, the evil warrior won't cooperate with the good aligned player.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 16 Mar 2010 21:58

I guess the holy / unholy axe is what is putting the holy / unholy blade idea in our heads.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 16 Mar 2010 22:17

But the crystal axe isn't attached to any deity or faction, it is just an axe that changes according to alignment. The holy blade has a certain degree of attachment to a certain goddess, which is goodie. It would be like making nightbringer turn goodie because a goodie wields it, makes no sense. I support creating new equipment pieces, I am just afraid that the current item inflation is getting out of hands.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 17 Mar 2010 00:41

Tom's sword dulls very slowly.
Golden-hued bastardsword dulls slower than most swords.

I looked twice, but I didn't see a blackened mithril scimitar on that list... is it there?

-B

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 17 Mar 2010 01:42

Alright so since I can't be on here all day I guess I have a little informing to do... *cough* addicts *cough* :twisted:

Sharn you are seriously misinformed. Knights being punished for killing good aligned things? Weren't you a Knight, you should know how the system involving prestige works. That is like saying Knights get punished severely for running away from a fight.

Tarax: -Tom Bombadil's sword dulls now.
-Elrond's sword is impossible to get nowadays (stupid because you
can't attack him but that is for another topic.)

Sharn: You asked for a list of nondulling swords?

1) Azure rune-etched Longsword
2) Elegant Jewel-Encrusted Sabre
3) Holy Blade

The above 3 are obtainable/wieldable/worthwhile only if you are a goodie.

4) Flaming Black Broadsword
5) Blackened Mithril Scimitar
6) Darkened Ornamented Scimitar

Those are really the only ones worth mentioning. As you know the FBB is extremely difficult to obtain. The blackened mithril scimitar is only really good against one small portion of Genesis, and the darkened ornamented scimitar is complete S***.

Also, you made the statement Sharn that the azure-rune etched quest was no longer able to be repeated to get the sword. That is also incorrect. After some extreme cheating from Barl year's ago it was altered so that it could only be obtained one time per character. However 2 years ago approximately it was reverted back to being able to be repeated. I believe the probability the first time you do the quest is 100%, and then subsequent tries is somewhere around 10% given my experience with trying to get another copy of it. That is the one sword that really irks me as its a quest reward, but only if you do the goodie version. There is no thematic reason behind it other than bias, similar to how the red-runed greaves used to be.

And my final word on the topic for now... You don't like how Kitiara's sabre and the JBS talk? Its called the gag function in most mud clients ;)

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 17 Mar 2010 09:14

Ilrahil wrote:Sharn you are seriously misinformed. Knights being punished for killing good aligned things?
Weren't you a Knight, you should know how the system involving prestige works.
That is like saying Knights get punished severely for running away from a fight.
Yeah, I remember you giving the rules of knight roleplay. :)
I did not kill a single good aligned NPC while being a knight and I do not think I should.
Ilrahil wrote:Also, you made the statement Sharn that the azure-rune etched quest was no longer able to be repeated to get the sword. That is also incorrect. After some extreme cheating from Barl year's ago it was altered so that it could only be obtained one time per character. However 2 years ago approximately it was reverted back to being able to be repeated. I believe the probability the first time you do the quest is 100%, and then subsequent tries is somewhere around 10% given my experience with trying to get another copy of it.
From what I know it was changed one more time last year - but of course I may be wrong. I did not test it.
Ilrahil wrote:And my final word on the topic for now... You don't like how Kitiara's sabre and the JBS talk? Its called the gag function in most mud clients ;)
I am aware of the gag function but figured out a better solution - I can use something else that does not babble all the time ;)

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 17 Mar 2010 16:03

Yes the rules of the Knight roleplay was in the flames section and sarcastic.

Knights are not restricted from killing good aligned NPC's it is frowned upon. What you think you should NOT do, might differ from what someone else in the Knighthood thinks they CAN do.

Edited: Did you ever kill Shale? Because he is barely good aligned but he is good aligned. And I know quite a few knights who kill him frequently.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/