Armour revamp ideas

A place to discuss all the ins and outs of equipment in the Genesis Donut. Warning: Spoilers may be included. Only validated game players will see this forum.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Re: Armour revamp ideas

Post by Rhaegar » 17 May 2010 08:28

If a bit of realism can be implemented, that would enhance the game experience, it's a good thing in my opinion.
I'm glad to hear that some of it is already in progress.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 18 May 2010 16:54

Imo rangers sneaking and not beeing seen by anyone in a midnight black platemail wich weighs quite alot is silly, I mean hell platemails make a shitload of noice you _CANT_ move quietly in one. Thats just on example, Shadow union beeing so gracefull and blablablabla wearing the heaviest shit in the game? It just seems of

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 18 May 2010 22:50

just need to be realistic with armour restrictions.

Stealth guilds should only be able to wear up to mail.
Fighter guilds should be able to wear up to platemail.
Magic guilds should only be able to wear cloth and no shields.

Guilds with different types of members can be specified as per specialty.

I agree tho, crazy platemail sneaking should be impossible.

-B

Velicus
Apprentice

Post by Velicus » 19 May 2010 04:04

bromen wrote:just need to be realistic with armour restrictions.

That's not 'realistic' at all (even in the sense that we're in a fantasy world). Realistically, a thief would be able to put on a platemail and fight on horseback, just not with as much skill as a knight.

But if we want to get to realism, we'd have to stop letting people pick up 50 swords and put them all in one backpack and then run across Middle-Earth in 3 seconds.

Velicus

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 19 May 2010 14:42

bromen wrote:just need to be realistic with armour restrictions.

Guilds with different types of members can be specified as per specialty.

I agree tho, crazy platemail sneaking should be impossible.

-B
I remember a certain studded leather armour, which was one of the best armours (extremely light, excellect protection) for a while until too many people started queuing for it, hehe.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 19 May 2010 16:22

Summarizing:

you guys complain that someone who can carry 20 weapons that weight 20kg each ... in his pack and then another 10 in his hands, who is as more agile then a wind-serpent, dragon, epic elf, etc. ... etc. etc. etc. should be penalized for wearing the only usable armours at her/his level?

come on now - if you don't wear plate at high levels in current Genesis, you can't handle really big oponents - nevermind if it's grinding or eq-hunting (I know enough enemies who are kick-ass when you wear anything but plate and piss-easy when you wear plate - simple Gen-mechanics)

my char could have the most supreme dex to avoid blows, the most supreme str to have it easier at avoiding them and l337 con to soak ... but wearing a chainmail or even leather (as some mentioned) would only end up with it being beaten to a chilli within seconds
bah - add to this the bonus of shields ...

so please - your ideas do bring realism to a fantasy game - cool with that so far BUT not in a game-mechanic that REQUIRES a fighter to wear plate to survive (best sight so far - rising hero MM in suit of shining armor :ugeek: )

PS.: my dream was a hobbit with l337 dex to dodge it all ... it's not applicable in current game/armor mechanics of Genesis
PPS.: missing sights like Bebop who "forgot" to wear armors and wondered why he finished the fight with several trolls at sl hurt ...
PPSS.:
bromen wrote:Stealth guilds should only be able to wear up to mail.
Welcome to WoW-MuD? 8-)

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 19 May 2010 20:41

That's why we're advocating the change in mechanics. So you will have to choose between plate/chainmail/leather armours as they would all have their advantages and disadvantages in various situations.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 19 May 2010 20:58

I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Personally a lot of arguments for and against things have to do with reality. Look at the light issues that were brought up. Certainly we are not going to always go for what is accurate over gameplay, but in some situations it makes sense.

Now I am here to speak against the change in armour mechanics based on current gameplay issues. In WoW and D&D, etc... the reasons for the limitations on armour are based on balance. A mage has significant power in their spells but are severly limited in physical prowess and thus are limited in armours (as well bulky armours hinder spellcasting.) There have been some such limitations placed on various spellcasting guilds in Genesis already. I have often seen a morgul mage unwield just before they cast a spell.

Currently in Genesis there is not enough power behind certain guilds to warrant a limitation in armours. If you force a guild like the Rangers to be limited to only wearing leather armours you would then have to boost their ability to deal damage otherwise you would have them dying against an equal Merc who can wear much better armours.

We need to decide what is most important. The focus has been to make all warrior guilds, etc.., equal to each other in many ways. If we start messing with Armour limitations we will have to tweak the guilds damage output to make up for it.

Windy

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/