Pre-Promotion News

Here, look for all manner of scoops, commentary, and general nonsense from the Keeper himself.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Pre-Promotion (part 2)

Post by Cherek » 06 May 2011 00:53

I dont think we should underestimate a challenge either. If its "too easy" people also risk losing interest. I personally think the tutorial area has just enough grinding. With less you would get a very false view on what this game is I think.

Strider
Adept

Re: Pre-Promotion (part 5)

Post by Strider » 06 May 2011 01:41

gorboth wrote:A very exciting development came along in the person of the wizard
Sandalphon, who is an expert back-end programmer for just these sorts of
applications in RL, and who has agreed to tinker with a proprietary client
for Genesis that new users can download before playing our game for the
first time.
Can you share some more information about this proprietary client?

It might be quicker, and depending on plans, lastingly relevant to adopt some official newbie configurations for various popular clients and make them available for download from the site.

Tangentially, one of the vectors for promotion we might want to consider is building a Pre-Listed Connection Profile for the free and open-source Mudlet, which, as Gub pointed out, allows some interesting customization.
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 06 May 2011 02:02

I didnt notice Gub's post before. But just as he did I found Mudlet too and suggested the same approach. I think most of the settings are bound to an XML file and with some type of coding knowledge one could perhaps use the open source code to compile a Genesis version of it that installs with Genesis settings and nothing else. Eliminating the need for the user to download and import the Genesis xml-file.

Except from not having an automapper (which I myself never used and dont see as a problem), I cannot seem to find an editor in Mudlet. Something that made me not continue using it. Other than that I liked it. Especially thats its new and looks fairly modern I like. And that it works on all major platforms.

I think its a great option though even without editor or automapper. And most likely it should be easier to modify already existing code instead of building our own client? That sounds like tons of work.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 06 May 2011 02:04

For those of you who send payments via Paypal, please make sure to specify
that this is a "Personal" rather than a "Purchase". Otherwise, a portion
of your donation will go to Paypal as a transaction fee. Also, if you use
a credit card, there will be a transaction fee.

If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot me a mail.

Petros

Padraig
Wanderer

Post by Padraig » 06 May 2011 02:05

No doubt Cherek -- just want to make sure this isn't overlooked.
Manglor, Zauhak, Padraig

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 06 May 2011 02:20

The auto-mapper has been released in its newest version, although I haven't gotten working on Genesis yet (something that could be done with the source-code). I don't think it'd be hard to do, I just haven't had time to do it.

I forgot about the editor Cherek, it is missing that as well.

If people gave Mudlet a chance I know they'd see a lot of really great functionality. I know its hard to switch clients though, I don't blame people for staying with TF or cMUD. I think its trigger system is easier to use than cMUD and it has a scripting ability which is very robust.

Theres a lot that could be done with the Mudlet system if the players and wizards contributed (we could make a git branch and allow people to customize it, pushing changes that everyone agreed on). Again, I highly recommend everyone look into it.

I just re-suggested this to G in a PM I made a couple hours ago. I had no idea anyone remembered, thanks Strider!

Wolverine
Adventurer

Post by Wolverine » 06 May 2011 10:26

Im not sure if RL posters is the proper advertisement for Genesis, but if you like to try it, go ahead.. Try Facebook ads or something similar, where its paid for clicks and visits.. The people that find Genesis have some sort of Tolkien/Fantasy interests and are often found "Online".. Staying In - Is The New Going Out.. attract online users first..

Make some adds where you recruit wizards aswell..

Uther
Great Adventurer

Re: Pre-Promotion (part 6)

Post by Uther » 06 May 2011 16:13

Is there any chance we can see the artworks somewhere ?
Those that are done I mean
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 07 May 2011 05:59

Creed wrote:And how does this instancing of the tutorial work, then?

Will each instance allow 1 player, so you always run around alone?
Or does it allow up to maximum X players, and when that number is reached, open up a new instance the next people then enter, if more are waking up in there?
The instancing in the tutorial will work so that we can set up a "batch" size for how many players we allow into a given instance of an area before a new instance is generated for the next player who arrives. Currently we are experimenting with batch sizes of 5, but can easily move that as needed to whatever will work best.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 10 May 2011 03:21

strider wrote:
gorboth wrote:A very exciting development came along in the person of the wizard
Sandalphon, who is an expert back-end programmer for just these sorts of
applications in RL, and who has agreed to tinker with a proprietary client
for Genesis that new users can download before playing our game for the
first time.
Can you share some more information about this proprietary client?

It might be quicker, and depending on plans, lastingly relevant to adopt some official newbie configurations for various popular clients and make them available for download from the site.

Tangentially, one of the vectors for promotion we might want to consider is building a Pre-Listed Connection Profile for the free and open-source Mudlet, which, as Gub pointed out, allows some interesting customization.
I think this is a good idea.

I'm not sure what would keep one of us from sitting down and creating a basic configuration for popular clients and then presenting it to the admin for their review... and then they can post it for newbies to access. I know we have some very good cmudders out there who have either helped me over the years.. or have posted help on these forums. Do we have any volunteers? If so -- speak up now!
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/