Fact-checking and critical thinking

Here, look for all manner of scoops, commentary, and general nonsense from the Keeper himself.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

Re: Fact-checking and critical thinking

Post by Zhar » 10 Jul 2020 11:30

Double post...
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 10 Jul 2020 11:38

Sure, AA got some stealthyskills, but they are classified as a 'fighter'-guild and follows the taxrules etc as a figherguild.

Could be that rangers are classified as such aswell though.

FK and Kenders are pure occ rogueclasses, but naturally, with different focuses.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 10 Jul 2020 11:39

I've always thought of AA as being evil rangers :P
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Nerull
Wizard

Post by Nerull » 10 Jul 2020 11:57

Ideally, those two guilds should duke it out all over ME. Scirmishes, ambushes, battles etc, on equal footing.

That would be awesome to watch.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 10 Jul 2020 15:04

Thalric wrote:
09 Jul 2020 20:14
A prevalent issue?
How so? Evil need more?
If so, please look at the mostly empty goodie guilds also. I am sure there is a reason for that, which isnt just RP.
And how is that a balance issue?
Ever thought about that certain members of those guilds actually make people NOT want to be a part of them?
That is certainly my experience atleast.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 10 Jul 2020 17:12

This topic has completely derailed. If anyone has anything more to say about fact-checking, rumours, critical thinking, etc, feel free to share your thoughts here. If you want to talk about guild balance and other sutff, please start a new thread and continue the discussion there.

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 12 Jul 2020 17:31

gold bezie wrote:
09 Jul 2020 00:19
well i like to disagree...
Fire Knives is a guild that adds nothing to the realms.... because simply there are too many guilds waiting for a recode....
New guilds get this insane amount of power while old guilds with some nice lore gets ignored.

not blaming the wizards, its a game build on volunteers and i love it and so does everyone who reads this.
but yes kvator has a right to complain when his guild (same as rangers and monks) is forgotten while a new guild
arises.
I said it before, this guild wont grow because it has no soul
to let others killl someone we have another guild. So why put all this efford in this guild while rangers, kenders and monks
seriously need a good update?
Gee, Goldbezie. If I had a soul I'd be hurt.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 05 Jun 2022 21:07

Greetings,

Considering the topic is fact checking I thought I'd try here. There are a lot of rumours about vampires, their players and their wizards going around.

Not entirely sure why. What I do know is that people don't know much about the vampires. Could I ask a member? Yes, but so far the answers are that they want to keep it secret.

And threatening.

Overall there is a shadow of corruption and overenpowerment over the vampire guild as it is now. Whether that is intentional by the members to beef up outside perspective of how powerful they are, or just the rumour mill overreacting, I do not know.

Bottom line, people don't know much about them. LOTS of rumours about them. Maybe you should open up about the guild and give us some facts about the guild so we can all have an open and honest discussion about them?

Most guilds have a tome at their entrance that explains what they offer and what their downsides are. If you made something like that for the vampires, there would be fewer rumours.

With best regards,

Brother Quantum

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 06 Jun 2022 01:55

If we decide to open up Pandora's box by openly listing and discussing Vampire abilities, then we of course need to extend this to all other guilds as well. I think there are quite a lot of players in Genesis who would be upset if every ability and spell they have tried to keep secret is suddenly brought out in the open for everyone to see. I completely understand what you mean here, and why it could be good, but I am not sure the Genesis community is ready for, or even want, this kind of openness? I think the appeal of many of the "secretive" guild is also that you don't know what you will get when you reach next level. At least for me, having been a player in some of these guilds, really enjoyed that aspect. Tring to advance and see what kind of spell/ability you "unlock".

So... yes, that level of openness would most likely quell some rumours, no doubt. Question is if it's worth it compared to what we lose? Maybe? Maybe not? I am not sure.

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 06 Jun 2022 02:19

I for one would like to sign up for the complete openness. For all guilds. Racial, occupational, layman, craft, clubs.

Put it all out there for people to study.

This statement may be slightly provocative but is not meant as such - wizards, including Keeper Cherek, often tell players to "show the evidence". But there is so much secrecy that showing any kind of evidence is difficult. How are we to prove anything either way, quelling a rumour or revealing cheating, when we know very little? Players, in essence, cannot prove anything with the amount of information available.

How do I fact check anything, if I don't have any idea what the facts are?

An example - I hear that vampires can get free flaming black broadswords because death spells heal them. And the nazgul uses death spells, in reality healing any vampire fighting it.

I don't know for a fact if the nazgul uses death spells. I don't know if vampires are healed by death spells. The only thing I can prove is that an abnormal amount of vampire players use flaming black broadswords. And then the rumours start with zero ability to fact check anything. What would you suggest players do?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/